• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Don't hit me with those negative waves so early

BEERMONSTER

Saga Lout⭐
I have been a member of Shrimperzone since 2008, a seldom poster but always avidly taking in the views and the cut and thrust of differing opinions. Now in my 61st year and having cut my Shrimper teeth in the late 60's and early 70's I still love my club with the same passion as did after my first ever game, under the Friday Roots Hall Floodlights, nostalgic memories of the smell of burger onions, cigarette smoke and white oils flood back. Now I don't know if it's because I have truly entered the realm of 'Grumpy Old Men' but these days I find myself inclined not to keep my thoughts to myself, which has resulted in some rare posting from yours truly of late. God knows I understand the devastation felt by what we have had to endure over recent years, both on and off the pitch, leading to the unforgivable loss of our Football League status but it is done. The decline was over a period of time, many areas of the Club became toxic, including us the Supporter's. The recovery across the club started last season, it will not be a quick fix and the current incumbents at coaching, recruitment and executive levels still have to work within the confines of the same ownership. Are we still making mistakes as a Club? Yes, Do we have people trying to do the right things ? Yes. Although the recovery has begun its obviously not the moonshot recovery required to meet the unrealistic expectations of some of the posters on here. The perceived enjoyment some get by the intensity of their negative comments baffles me, don't attempt to justify it as having a deeper understanding of the workings of the Club, over us mere mortals, or as an expression of passion and support for the team.
Sorry if this has offended anyone, but if it has then you may have posted the type of content that gets right up my Shaun Goater

Protect your enthusiasm from the negativity and fear of others.
H Jackson Brown

I think given it's only August and no transfer window to snap shut on us I can still have a level of trust and faith, not to mention just a touch of realism.
And I am still Southend and Proud of it !

Totally agree with you. I am only a couple of years behind you with my first match in '71, so maybe I fall into the same realm as you.

As my name suggests I am no longer local so don't get to the Hall very often, more likely to be at the away matches in this part of the world.

It might be timely to remind people there are still 45 league matches to go and so much can happen in that time. I am still hoping that we might sneak into the play-offs.

Remember we have many new players, so it will take time for them to settle into a winning formation. It doesn't matter how many pre-season friendlies are played it is not until there are 3 points at stake that really find out what the players are about.

I am sure KM & Co will find a way to get better results, maybe with a couple more players as well as others returning after injury.

Southend and Proud!

Totally agree I have been wanting to post something but timing not been right now it is.

I have had a season ticket over 30 years go home and away, we are a mess of a club behind the scenes things are getting better slowly. But I noticed lack of communication coming out of club over summer on certain things, good staff leaving the club after long service no real explanation. Look at Mr Collymore who i love to bits been very wuiet over the summer then rocks up like nothing going on yesterday. we got a long way to go to get out of of the toughest league in the country, we have no money and can only get average players who we can only hope our coaches make into a good team over the next few years this I believe will happen.

Look at Wrexham last time they was a league club was when they played us at Cardiff many years ago nothing is a given.

So please lose the negatives to our Club we are one team and will ger there.

I know its not nice when we lose but I for the first time in years belive over the next few years we will get there. COYB

I do agree. Felt very negative yesterday after all the hype but the reality is we are in a much better place as a club than this time last year, and no one could foresee us losing our best available striker a week before the season starts only for his replacement to turn out to be made of glass. I do think we need to get a grip, myself included. Trust in Kev and the process, I’ll re-adjust my probably over optimistic expectations for this season, and look forward to seeing our young talented squad start to gel and gain experience for a proper go at it next season.

We have had some turbulent years and the poor fortunes of the club have left many fans jaded. Some fans choose to defend the indefensible whilst others bash the club at the first opportunity. These fans are the minority on the Zone. Many more have become a little too sensitive and inflate the angst and gravity of certain posts.

A lot of criticism is actually just observation and opinion on any given match. It's called realism. They are not trying to be negative but genuinely discuss the issues they perceive. Not everyone is a wordsmith and their comment may not play out quite the way intended.

The truth is we are all lovers of the club and we want to air our thoughts, share our fears and try to make sense of things.

Enjoy the posts and accept that 99.9% are opinions. Invariably some opinions differ to our own.

A lot of criticism is actually just observation and opinion on any given match. It's called realism. They are not trying to be negative but genuinely discuss the issues they perceive.
Okay but there is also a lot, too much, which is unobserved, just hyperbole, edging to online bullying with shades of fantasy with no evidence.
The stuff about Jake Hyde is the latest in a series of OUR player in house bashing.
If simple stuff isn't challenged then , like the " he didn't want to come", or " he started so he gets paid now" stuff is guessing, gossip of poor taste, ultra negative and generally unpleasant and good for nothing.

We have had some turbulent years and the poor fortunes of the club have left many fans jaded. Some fans choose to defend the indefensible whilst others bash the club at the first opportunity. These fans are the minority on the Zone. Many more have become a little too sensitive and inflate the angst and gravity of certain posts.

A lot of criticism is actually just observation and opinion on any given match. It's called realism. They are not trying to be negative but genuinely discuss the issues they perceive. Not everyone is a wordsmith and their comment may not play out quite the way intended.

The truth is we are all lovers of the club and we want to air our thoughts, share our fears and try to make sense of things.

Enjoy the posts and accept that 99.9% are opinions. Invariably some opinions differ to our own.
Sorry but it has to be said there are posters who come to life and thrive on being negative. I acknowledge it's their right to express their opinion but I could never gain enjoyment in the doom mongering and question if they write from a sense of outrage or satisfaction. I do agree we have a number of scarred fans who love the club and as you say are sensitive to things not going right and are quick to express anger, lifeblood of our club, but they take a deep breath and try to get the positive mindset going again, normally 24hrs after the event, unfortunately we have an element who are very evident when things are not going right and disappear quicker than a Nun failing a pregnancy test when we have positives, no pun intended.

I find it hard to be positive about a club who is owned by crap owner who ****ed this club up more than 1 occasion, which ultimately cost us our league status. Now we are in non league struggle to compete with sides who few years back I barely heard of..... not surprised some fans are negative! Sorry to say this but sufc are just embarrassing football club now days.

I have been a member of Shrimperzone since 2008, a seldom poster but always avidly taking in the views and the cut and thrust of differing opinions. Now in my 61st year and having cut my Shrimper teeth in the late 60's and early 70's I still love my club with the same passion as did after my first ever game, under the Friday Roots Hall Floodlights, nostalgic memories of the smell of burger onions, cigarette smoke and white oils flood back. Now I don't know if it's because I have truly entered the realm of 'Grumpy Old Men' but these days I find myself inclined not to keep my thoughts to myself, which has resulted in some rare posting from yours truly of late. God knows I understand the devastation felt by what we have had to endure over recent years, both on and off the pitch, leading to the unforgivable loss of our Football League status but it is done. The decline was over a period of time, many areas of the Club became toxic, including us the Supporter's. The recovery across the club started last season, it will not be a quick fix and the current incumbents at coaching, recruitment and executive levels still have to work within the confines of the same ownership. Are we still making mistakes as a Club? Yes, Do we have people trying to do the right things ? Yes. Although the recovery has begun its obviously not the moonshot recovery required to meet the unrealistic expectations of some of the posters on here. The perceived enjoyment some get by the intensity of their negative comments baffles me, don't attempt to justify it as having a deeper understanding of the workings of the Club, over us mere mortals, or as an expression of passion and support for the team.
Sorry if this has offended anyone, but if it has then you may have posted the type of content that gets right up my Shaun Goater

Protect your enthusiasm from the negativity and fear of others.
H Jackson Brown

I think given it's only August and no transfer window to snap shut on us I can still have a level of trust and faith, not to mention just a touch of realism.
And I am still Southend and Proud of it !

Am with you on this. Our timeframes are very similar although I'm slightly (not much) younger than you. Unfortunately we live in an age where nearly everyone wants things in the here and now and when it doesn't happen, as it won't, they vent their spleen. I can't remember whether it was Stan, Kev, Tom or someone else, but they said at the end of last season that this was very much a club that is 'work in progress', anyone expecting anything other than finishing better than last season are deluding themselves. We are building a squad, a team that will compete and when ready will make a challenge. This will not stop a minority vacillating between 'we are going to go up/reach play offs' to 'sack Maher...we are worse than last season....so much for the contacts book...'etc but something in between - say a dose of realism would not go amiss.

I find it hard to be positive about a club who is owned by crap owner who ****ed this club up more than 1 occasion, which ultimately cost us our league status. Now we are in non league struggle to compete with sides who few years back I barely heard of..... not surprised some fans are negative! Sorry to say this but sufc are just embarrassing football club now days.
And it's support like yours we don't need to best not post infuture.

Sorry but it has to be said there are posters who come to life and thrive on being negative. I acknowledge it's their right to express their opinion but I could never gain enjoyment in the doom mongering and question if they write from a sense of outrage or satisfaction. I do agree we have a number of scarred fans who love the club and as you say are sensitive to things not going right and are quick to express anger, lifeblood of our club, but they take a deep breath and try to get the positive mindset going again, normally 24hrs after the event, unfortunately we have an element who are very evident when things are not going right and disappear quicker than a Nun failing a pregnancy test when we have positives, no pun intended.
Please don't come on here speaking sense my friend! We need doom and gloom!
Thanks 😊

Ok my take on things. The clubbed has well and truly been ****ed by Martin over may years to the point where we are no longer a league club and in dire straights. Living day to day and constantly flirting with HMRC and potential administration. I will never forgive Martin for his running of this club.

So with immensely high expectations I set off at 10.40 am Saturday. My neighbour, an Ipswich Town corporate box holder saw me leave my house and asked whether I go in the ROSE WEST stand. On my way I made a phone call to an ex colleague, (Chelsea) who asked if I was going to sit with ROSE WEST. The normal journey is 1 hour 50 min. 2hours and 40 min later I arrive, and cannot park where I normally do for my quick getaway. Wanting to support the Club even more I purchased the new shirt from Club shop and thought I would buy my lunch in the ground and ended up having a burger from the west stand. Today I have the ****s. The only good thing about it was it had 'onions' but apart from that it was disgusting. Stuff like that should never be allowed to be sold or given away.

The game started and for the first few minutes i was thinking this don't look too bad and then Hyde went off. From then on it was diabolical refereeing and thuggery from Boredham Wood. However that is not to blame for the abject performance by the players. I did not see much from the midfield or any real link up with the strikers?. Players looked bereft of ideas. So much hype with the new signings but nothing has changed. I really rate the management team but cannot for the life of me understand how we started the season so light of uninjured strikers. Everyone, including them new we struggle to score goals. Please do not tell me we tried to sign x y z. The point is we did not get them. As for the tactics and formation what the **** is going on there. I think unless Maher realises some of his set ups are very questionable and often do not work and changes things, plays players in their right position, then this season will be a slight improvement on last year but still very mediocre.

I have great faith in our management, except the crook of course, and KNOW they will get it right. My concern is it may well not be this season or until Martin has ****ed off. Personally I can see a few years in this league.

My first game was 1965 at the age of 8. Over 57 years there has been a lot to celebrate but many tears. Under Martin's ownership we have become a laughing stock and our reputation is in the gutter. Until this git is gone we will continue to struggle on and off the pitch.

I believe we have a really good squad of players. Still light in a couple of areas but the team needs to be set out to benefit from their strengths. They should not have to start adapting to different styles at this time. We do not have that luxury.

So, in summary, lets not panic, pick out scapegoats, or give abuse to individual players. Keep on supporting the team as we have home and away. I am sure we will get promoted this year (heart talking)

Oh by the way the 1 hour 50 min journey home took 3 hours 15 mins. Bloody A12.

UTB until I die.

Ok my take on things. The clubbed has well and truly been ****ed by Martin over may years to the point where we are no longer a league club and in dire straights. Living day to day and constantly flirting with HMRC and potential administration. I will never forgive Martin for his running of this club.

So with immensely high expectations I set off at 10.40 am Saturday. My neighbour, an Ipswich Town corporate box holder saw me leave my house and asked whether I go in the ROSE WEST stand. On my way I made a phone call to an ex colleague, (Chelsea) who asked if I was going to sit with ROSE WEST. The normal journey is 1 hour 50 min. 2hours and 40 min later I arrive, and cannot park where I normally do for my quick getaway. Wanting to support the Club even more I purchased the new shirt from Club shop and thought I would buy my lunch in the ground and ended up having a burger from the west stand. Today I have the ****s. The only good thing about it was it had 'onions' but apart from that it was disgusting. Stuff like that should never be allowed to be sold or given away.

The game started and for the first few minutes i was thinking this don't look too bad and then Hyde went off. From then on it was diabolical refereeing and thuggery from Boredham Wood. However that is not to blame for the abject performance by the players. I did not see much from the midfield or any real link up with the strikers?. Players looked bereft of ideas. So much hype with the new signings but nothing has changed. I really rate the management team but cannot for the life of me understand how we started the season so light of uninjured strikers. Everyone, including them new we struggle to score goals. Please do not tell me we tried to sign x y z. The point is we did not get them. As for the tactics and formation what the **** is going on there. I think unless Maher realises some of his set ups are very questionable and often do not work and changes things, plays players in their right position, then this season will be a slight improvement on last year but still very mediocre.

I have great faith in our management, except the crook of course, and KNOW they will get it right. My concern is it may well not be this season or until Martin has ****ed off. Personally I can see a few years in this league.

My first game was 1965 at the age of 8. Over 57 years there has been a lot to celebrate but many tears. Under Martin's ownership we have become a laughing stock and our reputation is in the gutter. Until this git is gone we will continue to struggle on and off the pitch.

I believe we have a really good squad of players. Still light in a couple of areas but the team needs to be set out to benefit from their strengths. They should not have to start adapting to different styles at this time. We do not have that luxury.

So, in summary, lets not panic, pick out scapegoats, or give abuse to individual players. Keep on supporting the team as we have home and away. I am sure we will get promoted this year (heart talking)

Oh by the way the 1 hour 50 min journey home took 3 hours 15 mins. Bloody A12.

UTB until I die.
Love it, I respect you big time well done fellow shrimper

Thought I would buy my lunch in the ground and ended up having a burger from the west stand. Today I have the ****s. The only good thing about it was it had 'onions' but apart from that it was disgusting. Stuff like that should never be allowed to be sold or given away.
The Roots Hall burger is probably one of my fave burgers. Have one most games and they have never given me the squits

Back