• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A true story and its source was the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service in Adelaide.

A bloke and his family were on holidays in the United States and went to Mexico for a week. An avid cactus fan, the man bought one-metre high, rare and expensive cactus there. On arrival back home Australian Customs said it must be quarantined for 3 months.

He finally got his cactus home. Planted it in his backyard, and over time it grew to about 2 metres. One evening while watering his garden after a warm spring day, he gave the cactus a light spray. He was amazed to see the plant shiver all over, he gave it another spray and it shivered again.

He was puzzled so he rang the council who put him on to the state gardens people. After a few transfers he got the state's foremost cactus expert who asked him many questions. How tall is it? Has it flowered? Etc.

Finally he asked the most disturbing question. 'Is your family in the house?' The bloke answered yes. The cactus expert said get out of the house NOW, get on to the front nature strip and wait for me; I will be there in 20 minutes.

Fifteen minutes later, 2 fire trucks, 2 police cars and an ambulance came screaming around the corner. A fireman got out and asked 'Are you the bloke with the cactus?' I am, he said. A guy jumped out of the fire truck wearing what looked like a space suit, a breathing cylinder and mask attached to what looked like a scuba backpack with a large hose attached. He headed for the backyard and turned a flame-thrower on the cactus spraying it up and down.

After a few minutes the flame-thrower man stopped, the cactus stood smoking and spitting, half the fence was burnt and parts of the gardens were well and truly scorched. Just then the cactus expert appeared and laid a calming hand on the bloke's shoulder. 'What the hell's going on?' he says. 'Let me show you' says the cactus man. He went over to the cactus and picked away a crusty bit, the cactus was almost entirely hollow and filled with tiger striped bird-eating tarantula spiders, each about the size of two hand spans.

The story was that this type of spider lays eggs in this type of cactus and they hatch and live in it as they grow to full size. When full size they release themselves. The cactus just explodes and about 150 dinner plate sized hairy spiders are flung from it, dispersing everywhere. They had been ready to pop. The aftermath was that the house and the adjoining houses had to be vacated and fumigated: police tape was put up outside the whole area and no one was allowed in for two weeks.

And here's what one of the b*stards looks like.

BirdEatingSpider.jpg

After some of the days other threads, I thought this was going to be about there now being a black U.S. President...

besides, even if true, the tarantula would have been no danger to humans, apart of the danger of you crapping yerself if you saw one.

i heard a similar one. not sure if it's a hoax or if you can copy it online (i'll type it out).

Anyway, there is this guy who loves snakes, and his pride a joy was a baby boa constrictor that he bought. He had it licensed and everything, and it was kept down in the basement where it was given free roam... he left the door on it's cage(?) open so it could get back into the warm environment. Anyway as the months went by the snake grew in size until it was over two metres long. it was a really friendly snake and never showed any aggression. however it started to come up the stairs from the basement from time to time and into the main house... he didn't mind this unless there were visitors around. however one night he woke up in bed to find that the snake had slithered into his room and up onto his bed (he was single... unsurprisingly!), which he thought was a bit strange. anyway this happened a few more times and one night he woke up to find the whole snake in his bed up along side him from foot to toe. he thought that this was getting really odd... normally snakes are private animals and dont follow you around the house. he phoned up the vet to see what he thought. the vet told him to stay away from the snake, as it was really dangerous. whilst he was on the phone the snake was curled up looking at him. the vet said he would send around some snake-people who would have to dispose of it. apparently these are well known signs that the snake was going to attack and eat him, and because the snake was stretched out next to him in bed, that was him working out of the snake could eat him whole!!!! apparently the vet reckoned that if he spent one more night with the snake he could have woken up to 2 metres of snake around his neck!

i heard a similar one. not sure if it's a hoax or if you can copy it online (i'll type it out).

Anyway, there is this guy who loves snakes, and his pride a joy was a baby boa constrictor that he bought. He had it licensed and everything, and it was kept down in the basement where it was given free roam... he left the door on it's cage(?) open so it could get back into the warm environment. Anyway as the months went by the snake grew in size until it was over two metres long. it was a really friendly snake and never showed any aggression. however it started to come up the stairs from the basement from time to time and into the main house... he didn't mind this unless there were visitors around. however one night he woke up in bed to find that the snake had slithered into his room and up onto his bed (he was single... unsurprisingly!), which he thought was a bit strange. anyway this happened a few more times and one night he woke up to find the whole snake in his bed up along side him from foot to toe. he thought that this was getting really odd... normally snakes are private animals and dont follow you around the house. he phoned up the vet to see what he thought. the vet told him to stay away from the snake, as it was really dangerous. whilst he was on the phone the snake was curled up looking at him. the vet said he would send around some snake-people who would have to dispose of it. apparently these are well known signs that the snake was going to attack and eat him, and because the snake was stretched out next to him in bed, that was him working out of the snake could eat him whole!!!! apparently the vet reckoned that if he spent one more night with the snake he could have woken up to 2 metres of snake around his neck!

Sorry Pubey

http://www.snopes.com/critters/snakes/measured.asp

1) in Uk, you dont need to have a licence for keeping any form of constrictor..they are non venomous.
2) only annacondas would attack a human, but only in self defence, and have been known to eat children, but only dead ones.
3) if the vivarium was left open, the snake would head for the warmest place efore it went comotose, if the bed is the warmest place, then yea..they normally find tubes or air vents to crawl into.

hoax, i'm afraid

damn, it was good at the pub!

I love those urban legends, unfortuntely i also like looking them up on snopes !

TBH I generally use it to slap down those "watch out for people doing x y or z in your local supermarket , car wash etc" type emails which sad to55ers send round the entire office.

I know somebody this actually happened to. Her and her better half let it sleep in the bed with them, they noticed it had stopped eating and took it the vets. It was saving room for them.

Back