• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Dorking Wanderers 1-0 Southend United

However when players don't like or have little confidence in the system and the other players performance in the system they're required to play , that will show and has in increasingly disjointed toothless efforts, going backwards and sideways and lumping it forwards to Cards! Our pressing and overloads virtually gone.
Until the players get a voice to enforce a change. I fear the same situation every game now.
I take your point, but Maher hinted most of his work has been with individuals trying to restore their confidence.
Look at Kensdale last night.
Would playing a certain way have stopped his hesitant defending two out of the last three games: blunders that cost us two points?
They're lumping it and passing sideways because they fear mucking up
That comes from losing self belief game by game over the last seven.

Maybe fans screaming abuse and bile at the players and management during the match and after the final whistle doesn’t have a positive impact on performance? :Whistling:

Whilst I don't necessarily agree with too much abuse. The players were quick to accept praise when things were going well and rightly so. To lose 7 on the bounce and to Dorking last night, who frankly, are part time dross is not acceptable.

It's now about the summer and who wants to be here and who doesn't.

I can see a massive overhaul coming but let's be honest, we don't even know if we are going to be under an embargo going into next season. If we are and a new owner is not found, then quite frankly I would expect the national league to kick us out.

The biggest game for this club is a new owner and as fast as possible.

I genuinely fear that we may lose the club if Ron is still at the helm going into next season.

What player, other than those from the lower leagues will want to come to southend in such circumstances.

The fact that woking have signed Lapata says it all. We can't even compete with the smaller clubs in our division. Until that changes, we are sunk.

The best case is that we get a new owner or owners and the clubs image and reputation changes to attract new players of the level required.

This current crop are not good enough and have played above themselves most of the season.

There are a few players I can't understand why they get a game week in week out. If you're going to persist with a negative 5 at the back at least have two positive centre mids. Miley does the donkey work there is no need for Taylor, who in all honesty has done nothing all season. Our season is over, play Benton in there, he is keen, offers something different - same with sandat, mobile and I think would be good foil for Cards

Maybe fans screaming abuse and bile at the players and management during the match and after the final whistle doesn’t have a positive impact on performance? :Whistling:

Not that I do it, but I can understand it.

£15-22 fans are paying for tickets and we’re met with terrible performances when the lads can’t string 2 passes together, with a stubborn manager who refuses to change it up. We aren’t seeing us score against teams that have conceded in nearly every match they’ve played this season!

I personally think you’re a bit weird if after 3 seasons of relegation scraps in the EFL and 1 in uninspiring season in the NL, and now losing 7 games on the bounce to finish mid table - and after losing to part-time Dorking, you’re going to jump up and cheer them?

You can’t even say ‘But they’re not paid’ - they’ve been paid all season… Albeit late once by 28 days.

However when players don't like or have little confidence in the system and the other players performance in the system they're required to play , that will show and has in increasingly disjointed toothless efforts, going backwards and sideways and lumping it forwards to Cards! Our pressing and overloads virtually gone.
Until the players get a voice to enforce a change. I fear the same situation every game now.
That's the way KM played and it shows that he has brought it to is team's tactics.

He's taken the blame there because that's the kind of bloke he is, but even if I didnt know it, that interview would tell me that "safe and sideways" is not how he wants them to play, and is not how he coaches and sets them up to play.

That being the case it means the players are doing their own thing and his coaching and leadership accounts for nothing, so one or the other has to go.

If that's the case something is seriously wrong, that's the same as any boss saying "cook bacon and eggs" and the employee produces a cheese sandwich 🤷

We really are in trouble if the players go on to the pitch and play a completely different way to what they have been told and practiced in training all week 🤦
I see what you're saying but I don't think that's a good analogy. A bit too simplistic, unless you have someone tasked with stopping you from making the bacon and eggs and it's done in front of thousands of paying spectators!

I don't think the players are actively going out of their way to disobey instructions (they're not the types and have respect for the coaching staff), and I also don't think they're incapable of carrying out the instructions (see the unbeaten run earlier in the season with some of the most complete performances seen from a Southend team in years).

So that leaves confidence and morale, for me.

Last night was atrocious. Sideways and backwards and then lose the ball. No plan B. We started playing 3 at the back to cover for Coulson’s lack of speed - it now seems the only plan. Think we have to go a flat four. Dorking have conceded 84 goals & we didn’t ever really test their keeper.

Bloody hell. Are we mathematically safe from relegation?

Actually I’m not sure we are if we loose all are remaining games and Yeovil and Gateshead win all theirs. Massive long shot but you never know in this strange league.

The only certainty right now is that we stand a very good chance of not winning again this season.

There are a few players I can't understand why they get a game week in week out. If you're going to persist with a negative 5 at the back at least have two positive centre mids. Miley does the donkey work there is no need for Taylor, who in all honesty has done nothing all season. Our season is over, play Benton in there, he is keen, offers something different - same with sandat, mobile and I think would be good foil for Cards
I get your point about the make-up of central midfield, but we don't play with a negative back 5.

That being the case it means the players are doing their own thing and his coaching and leadership accounts for nothing, so one or the other has to go.
It doesn't necessarily mean that. I don't think they are willfully doing their own thing at all. From what I know, there are no egos in that camp. Why is it so hard to believe that they are psychologically ****ted and some may have mentally checked out of this season, perhaps even the club? Could you blame them?

Actually I’m not sure we are if we loose all are remaining games and Yeovil and Gateshead win all theirs. Massive long shot but you never know in this strange league.

The only certainty right now is that we stand a very good chance of not winning again this season.

Mathematically no, but we would need to lose 14 on the bounce and the teams below would have to achieve promotion form for that to happen. That isn't going to happen.

Exactly this, and if that's the case they are doing there own thing then and he has lost the dressing room as they are clearly not listening to instructions which isn't a good thing

Maybe there are many reasons for this bad run. Off the field situation, lack of confidence after so many reverses, the Lopata incident, etc.
Definitely one of the issues is the lack of goals in the team and the recruitment of too many defensive minded/ non attacking midfielders.

As bad as It was last night, my fear is that there is worse to come. I find it bizarrely comical that people on here identify the players they'd like to keep. If the club doesn't find a new owner in the next couple of months, I can see absolutely no reason why anyone capable of finding another club, would want to stay. Conversely I can't see any player, in their right mind, wanting to come here in the present predicament

To be honest, I thought earlier in the season this group were more than capable of the play-offs. However, in more recent times, I think it's more of a case that there are players here capable of excellent moments at this level, but just aren't capable of delivering it on a consistent basis.

There was a thread doing the rounds about who we should retain and who we should release. Up until about maybe a month ago, I was actually in favour of retaining a good deal of the squad, not only due to the affinity they've built with us as fans due to their loyalty, but also due to their desire to work hard for the shirt, ability to perform at the level as individuals but also, and perhaps more importantly, for the first time in a long time to function well as a team. My thought was that 4 or 5 really good additions would have us challenging at the pinnacle of the division.

However, sadly I think I may have been wrong. I don't think it's for the want of trying, I don't think it's the formation, and I definitely don't think it's the management. This is an issue of personnel who were probably playing at their peak performance, as opposed to a team who were playing in maybe 3rd or 4th gear, with the ability to kick on and find another level later into the season/into next season. So for me, it's all about perception and I think a lot of us probably felt this team were showing signs of massive promise, when in actual fact I think we might have seen the pinnacle of what they are capable of.

For that reason I've had a little think about what I would do if I were Kev and Co and part of the footballing department as a whole with regards to personnel. There are some controversial choices in here, but also some glaringly obvious ones. I understand the majority of players are under contract until 2024, but irrespective of that, here is who I would attempt to retain and here is who I would release:

Retain:
Steve Arnold - 1 year deal (with club option)
Jason Demetriou - 1 year deal (Youth Coaching Included)
Jack Bridge - 2 year deal (with club option)
Jon Benton - Activate Club Option
Tommy Davis - 1 year deal (with club option)
Rhys Murphy - Invite for trial to prove fitness

Under Contract for 2023/24 Season:
Colin Adeng-Ndi
Gus Scott-Morriss
Louis Lomas
Ollie Kensdale
Cav Miley
Noor Husin
Wes Fonguck
Jack Wood
Oli Coker
Harry Cardwell
Callum Powell

Offer Pro Deals:
Jaden Crowhurst
Louie Arrowsmith

Release:
Shaun Hobson
Nathan Ralph
Chris Wreh

Transfer List/Free To Leave:
Tom Clifford
Harry Taylor
Dan Mooney

Return To Parent Club:
Jake Hyde

Hobson and Ralph could count themselves very unlucky, but to be honest, both have played large parts of the season in multiple teams that haven't fulfilled their objectives, and whilst that obviously doesn't mean that it's all their responsibility, I just think players and clubs come to a point where they need to freshen things up.

Taylor and Mooney have both been massively underwhelming for me, the latter gives the ball away far too much and hasn't delivered anywhere near his expectations. Clifford needs games and I just don't think fits our style of play, he also doesn't look physical enough for the NL. Wreh looks imposing but simply hasn't scored enough goals, and Hyde just hasn't been available enough throughout the season to warrant us pursuing him further.

Would be very interested to hear everyone else's thoughts!

Back