• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Dover Athletic 1-0 Southend United

Reflections the morning after......

This is a group of players whose confidence is at rock bottom and who, by and large, no longer enjoy playing football. They are not a team but a group of nervous and no doubt worried individuals. The skills and talent which they had seem to have deserted them and they don't know what to do about it. The reaction of our fans whilst understandable is not helping at all. There is only one solution - they have to win two or three matches on the trot and start to rebuild their confidence. This is highly unlikely. Even a change of manager to a man with a proven record of succeeding in a very similar (but not quite so bad) situation hasn't helped at all. In the January transfer window we need to pick up at least half a dozen new players. We won't be able to afford anyone good so we will need to seek triers, players with strength of character to partly make up for lack of real footballing ability. With Bwomono, Dieng, Hutchinson, Kelman and Hopper retained in our starting eleven we will have a chance if we can add half a dozen fighters and battlers to them.

Paul Sturrock had an interesting approach. When we lost a couple (maybe 3) matches he reverted to a slightly more defensive system. He made us hard to beat to try and build confidence by not losing. Once we'd strung a few results together and confidence was back he changed tack and we became more attacking again. He never seemed to go for wins in that situation (although I doubt he would complain if we did win). Confidence was built, not by going for wins, but by not losing, i.e. a draw was good enough.

I think we're in an extreme version of the same situation. Wins will undoubtedly build confidence but drawing will also, albeit at a slower rate. It seems to me that that is what Sol is trying to do. Given how extreme the situation is, it is going to take a long time for that to happen.

The good news is we don't have many matches over the next month so Sol has time to work on the every aspect without having to worry about prep for matches and recovery days. Hopefully we'll get no new injuries, and some of the current crocks will be back. Here's hoping...

What
Does that include telling kids that you hope their family die of cancer? That’s ok if they’re playing badly is it?

****ing scumbags and cowards the lot of you that have brushed over this and shame on the people that stood by and heard it.
did the stewards say when you reported it ? Or did you go straight for the individual ?

Personally I think Hutchinson has the makings of a very good footballer, but for now I would say he's a bit lightweight. There are times when I want to see him put in a challenge, but he doesn't. He also doesn't seem to be able to hold off any challenge either. He needs to develop a bit of a nasty side.

I agree that there are times he needs to make more of a challenge. Sometimes though this is as much a talent as a first touch or being able to drift past players...some players relish it and are built for it and others have to just do the best they can....I dont believe you can make players into that type and certainly can’t do it just by toughening up! It’s typical of our type of football that we expect talented players to be able to do the things less talented players can but never expect the less talented to do the things the more talented can....I mean does anyone expect Lennon to create a goal with skill or a pass? No it’s just accepted he isn’t designed for that...

I also agree that he needs to develop a nasty side.....but it’ll be in the final third that it will make a difference and he’ll kill teams off with end product...that can be learned and is part of building experience and learning better decision making.....look at Kevin DeBruyne at Chelsea compared with Man City....he just matured and developed....

What I don’t agree with is this perception that he’s knocked off the ball while in possession....he is of course sometimes off balance and loses out but actually he shows real strength in possession and is often holding players off and retaining possession....especially given the lack of options of people to pass to he has to often hold on to it far longer than he’d like. Notice how quickly his heads up and is looking....

But let's face it, if the rest of the midfield was a) fit, or b) on form would he even be in the starting 11? I would imagine the answer is no. He wasn't bought in to be playing in the 1st team now. He was bought in for the 23s (as mentioned by the commentators yesterday) and finds himself playing in the 1st team when he probably needs another year or two to bulk up.

While I agree he probably got his chance ahead of schedule due to squad nos I don’t think for one second that he wouldn’t be involved if everyone was fit. Even under Powell he was regularly involved and the one position we barely had any injuries with it was midfield. Under Bond and now Sol I think he’s in the side on merit and you’d be hard pushed to leave him out regardless of who was fit.

He was signed as a U23 18 months ago, I’d imagine the plan was always to see him at this stage in 18-24 months. He’s certainly not thought of as a 23s players chucked in because there’s no one else. I truly believe he deserves to be playing.

Trust me if he’s still in our side in two years time, unless we’ve been promoted a couple of times he will have massively under achieved his potential....I’d be shocked if he wasn’t on peoples radars already.

Last edited:
That’s me done for the season. Fair play to anyone else that goes and tries to back that but I won’t be taken for a mug any longer

I think yesterday was the last straw for many. In a drunken rage I cut up my season ticket last night. I did wonder if I'd regret it in the morning but sadly I don't. I have two young children and the missus could do with me being around on Saturdays. I am done until this bunch of utter ****ing ****s are out of the club.

I’ve read this a few times now and I’m struggling to understand what footwear he had on and what he should’ve worn.....

I always thought if you are slipping over wearing moulded studs then wear a stud...if you slip over wearing studs then it’s just wet and theirs little you can do?

I mean let’s be honest was he the only one slipping? I saw literally every single player find it difficult to keep their feet....especially ours which would indicate it was a very different surface what we were used to.....oh wait a minute an away tie to a non league side.....maybe that’s what contributes to making these games difficult and part of the reason why so many upsets happen in this competition?

Doesn’t care enough to wear the right footwear? Oh yeah....he turned up and thought, “I’m not really bothered about playing well or winning I think I’ll wear my trainers”!

Incredible.
Him and 3 or 4 (not the whole team as you seem to be suggesting) other players clearly weren’t wearing the correct studs as they were falling over every 2 minutes. If it was the pitch’s fault why weren’t the Dover players and the rest of our players falling over every 2 minutes as though they were playing on ice?

The doesn’t care comment clearly wasn’t serious and was in reference to the notion in the quote I posted that suggested we should play the whole youth team because they are the only ones that care, which is ridiculous.

This game reminded me of our 4-1 cup win over Millwall, they could not have given a sheet at their display and were laughing and joking in the coach afterwards, their fans were in uproar over the lack of work, idea or pride. We are of the same stuff as that shambolic Millwall rot.
This season can not end soon enough.

Anyone actually reckon we will get to 21 points and avoid setting a new Football League record?

Anyone else still ****ed off or just me?

I had half a mind we'd lose, so not any more. Took a few hours.

I'm done this season though, I'm unlikely to grace Roots Hall with my presence for the rest of the season and will just shrug as the opposition goals roll in.

Anyone actually reckon we will get to 21 points and avoid setting a new Football League record?
Nope.
It'll be the cherry on top of the icing that has been this season.

We will be lucky to beat Derby's PL record of 11 points despite playing 44 games as opposed to 38...

Bish 3
Elvis 3 - worst game I have seen him play
Ralph 4
Lennon 2
Shaughnessy 3
Dienf 6 MoM
Hamilton 2
Hutch 3
Macca 3
Goodship 2
Hopper 4

Worse than Dons and Rochdale.
Agree with your Ratings we were absolute sh*te.
Players must be able to perform better than that.
Feel sorry for Campbell, they let him down.

I think yesterday was the last straw for many. In a drunken rage I cut up my season ticket last night. I did wonder if I'd regret it in the morning but sadly I don't. I have two young children and the missus could do with me being around on Saturdays. I am done until this bunch of utter ****ing ****s are out of the club.
Not quite cut mine up, but will be giving it to anyone who seriously wants to be wound up for 90 minutes.

Don't think I've ever felt so disconnected from our club by a group of "players" before. Completely lost my head at the game, probably went over the top, but that's been a long time coming. We'd all do anything to play even 10 minutes for this club and some of them are just taking the **** out of us

No one you fool, but those that thought Sol was the messiah were obviously wrong
Normally the new manager bounce comes into play and at our club it hasn't, my concern is he will walk if not given the chance in Jan transfer window

Its just posters like you ,who try and rile up many who are frustrated on and off the pitch, prefer if you go fishing else where

This is the football forum, where different opinions are allowed. Sorry Ron but Its not just for the angry and the ignorant.......So they can get it off their chest

The fact is some are already moaning about Sol and as the politics is closed you can no longer just squeal at people you disagree with.

This is the football forum, where different opinions are allowed. Sorry Ron but Its not just for the angry and the ignorant.......So they can get it off their chest

The fact is some are already moaning about Sol and as the politics is closed you can no longer just squeal at people you disagree with.

I agree with football forum, but not a fishing forum, re politics why bring that up , you seem to miss the five minutes of fame

Him and 3 or 4 (not the whole team as you seem to be suggesting) other players clearly weren’t wearing the correct studs as they were falling over every 2 minutes. If it was the pitch’s fault why weren’t the Dover players and the rest of our players falling over every 2 minutes as though they were playing on ice?

Oh....so likely to be the 3/4/5 players that play in areas that require more constant and more severe regular changes of direction? Strange that.

If they had studs on....which they did....what are you suggesting they should’ve worn?

The Dover players also had difficulty in certain areas but you seem to miss my point that it was a different type of surface for Southend but obviously we all realise that Dover play on it almost every other week yes?

It’s such a ridiculously trivial thing to make a point of complaint about and to suggest anyone was doing it when it could’ve been prevented is funny in its stupidity...

The doesn’t care comment clearly wasn’t serious and was in reference to the notion in the quote I posted that suggested we should play the whole youth team because they are the only ones that care, which is ridiculous.

I dont even know what from people say on here is serious or a joke anymore....

Id actually be amazed if we won another game this season. January will be irrelevant as we will be as good as down by then.

Id actually be amazed if we won another game this season. January will be irrelevant as we will be as good as down by then.

No one is going to want to join us either. Anyone expecting a drastic turn around after Jan and think's we're getting a new team then needs a big slap in the face from reality

I agree with football forum, but not a fishing forum, re politics why bring that up , you seem to miss the five minutes of fame

If I was fishing then surely I would remind all those who who never go and are claiming they will not be going......That today is November 11th.

And no we wont be non league within a year and mass clear outs are never the answer in football......Just ask Bolton fans.

In all my years as a fan that was the worse since........Doncaster at home, just a few weeks ago. Before that it was Wimbledon and before that Rochdale (home and away last year) etc. In fact according to some I have seen the 6 worst ever performances in our history. I'm quite pleased about that.....Anybody but Brown hasn't really worked out.

Whats to say about yesterday.....No point except at least Sol now knows it was wrong to drop Oxley. The best bit is loads of fans will want Ox to fail when he does go back in goal.......So neither keeper can win.

I can sense people reaching for the Sol out daggers......Who's going to be first to draw blood?

Why do you love Brown so much? If we still had him or kept him on we'd be in League 2 this year

No one is going to want to join us either. Anyone expecting a drastic turn around after Jan and think's we're getting a new team then needs a big slap in the face from reality
Exactly this. Remember a decade ago we signed the likes of Scott Spencer, Matt Paterson, Sanchez Watt, Pat Baldwin, Scott Vernon...

Back