• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Dover Athletic 1-0 Southend United

I noticed this too but it does escape me who it was aimed at but did suggest straight from the off he wasn't impressed.
I haven’t been chanting or singing since I was a teenager in the Notth Bank in the 1960’s and I certainly never audibly criticise during a match even the likes of Theo and Plodder but I should like to point out that when the “you’re not fit...”chant was first heard in the Wimbledon game,it was when we went one down after 10 mins and the players effort seemed to change dramatically—we equalised and we’re well on top till we conceded again just after HT.
As for Campbell,criticism is certainly due.There is no way their goal would have got past Oxley,who would also at least have punched away all those corners that poor Bishop got nowhere near.Also MacL had looked our only likely scorer,with a couple of decent long shots and upended when bursting thorough on goal,so it defied belief to replace him with Acquah who has size but absolutely nothing else to offer.

I haven’t been chanting or singing since I was a teenager in the Notth Bank in the 1960’s and I certainly never audibly criticise during a match even the likes of Theo and Plodder but I should like to point out that when the “you’re not fit...”chant was first heard in the Wimbledon game,it was when we went one down after 10 mins and the players effort seemed to change dramatically—we equalised and we’re well on top till we conceded again just after HT.
As for Campbell,criticism is certainly due.There is no way their goal would have got past Oxley,who would also at least have punched away all those corners that poor Bishop got nowhere near.Also MacL had looked our only likely scorer,with a couple of decent long shots and upended when bursting thorough on goal,so it defied belief to replace him with Acquah who has size but absolutely nothing else to offer.

I can relate to this. In hindsight you look back and think why drop an international captain and put two kids in the midfield in such a key game. .. but then maybe Sol is trying to send messages to these players. Sol had to make decisions and you would hope against a team two divisions below he might be forgiven for taking a chance or two. We weren't as wretched as some make out yesterday but expectations were such in playing a team two divisions below who are very very average. The fact is.. our players are petrified of playing. They have forgotten how to do the basics. We have forgotten how to win football games. We need to win a few games. Sadly, yesterday was the best chance we will have all season...

Whats wrong with league 2, its where we are comfortable. Plus there are a lot more clubs we can call tin pot.

By the way the fans lost PB before he gave up. Some of the players who he signed absolutely knew trey were targeted for the crime of being a PB signing. It has now carried on with the CP signings and Bond of course.

Far to many players are just no good enough for our fans even academy players in their first game. I remember some total knob moaning about a Dru pass on his debut v Newport. Claiming he needed to be out on loan for a season in non league.

How we could do with a wise old (one last payday) pro to organise our defence and improve those around him. Anton was another one who looked up in disgust at comments from the stands.......Long before he gave up on us.

With the rise of social media we have gone from Brown out to I hope your family die of cancer, racism and families not wanting to go to RH.......Yes i'm unhappy with certain senior players at our club but people shouldn't claim its the fault everyone else........Our fans have played their part and when we fall back into L2 it will be what we deserve as a club........Whether you have paid your hard earned cash or not.

Riggers, Anton did not give up on us,his body gave up on him and just out of interest why do you pull out the very worst comments from a few knobs and use them against the most tolerant bunch of fans Ron is lucky to have,you ask whats wrong with L2 I think we all know the answer to that as I think you do really,maybe we can get through this mess by sticking togeather and remember everyone is intitled to their, opinions,just thought i'd give a toss.

Sorry but absolutely no chance... Oxley never commands his 6 yard box. He may of saved their goal but even that I doubt looking at some of his shot stopping this year and that is his best attribute.

In fairness Zeuss, depending on the side of the fence you sit, it was either a wonder goal or freak goal

Personally couldn't believe when the net shook and ball was in the corner, however if scored by any player from Southend I would saying it was genius.

Not sure many would have parried it away,just an opinion

Riggers, Anton did not give up on us,his body gave up on him and just out of interest why do you pull out the very worst comments from a few knobs and use them against the most tolerant bunch of fans Ron is lucky to have,you ask whats wrong with L2 I think we all know the answer to that as I think you do really,maybe we can get through this mess by sticking togeather and remember everyone is intitled to their, opinions,just thought i'd give a toss.
Best post so far on this subject .
I would also add that us fans gave a standing ovation to a team that had just lost 7-1- so we are not all bad, or to blame
It’s not hard to find good/ bad examples of anything when you have 6000 plus people to choose from.

I can relate to this. In hindsight you look back and think why drop an international captain and put two kids in the midfield in such a key game. .. but then maybe Sol is trying to send messages to these players. Sol had to make decisions and you would hope against a team two divisions below he might be forgiven for taking a chance or two. We weren't as wretched as some make out yesterday but expectations were such in playing a team two divisions below who are very very average. The fact is.. our players are petrified of playing. They have forgotten how to do the basics. We have forgotten how to win football games. We need to win a few games. Sadly, yesterday was the best chance we will have all season...

Everyone literally everyone has been coating Milligan yet one game out the side and you can’t understand why he dropped his international captain for two kids?

Backs up what I keep saying, you’re a far better player out of this side than you are being in it and trying to help it!!!

Personally I’d have played Milligan, I dont think he’s been as bad as many others seem to....but I’m not sure anyone would’ve thought Hamilton would’ve come back looking as rusty as he did.....I’m not his biggest fan but up until his sending off I felt he at least offered energy and combative qualities....yesterday he found life quite difficult.

I agree Oxley would have saved that, but l can't agree that he would have punched away the corners, Bishop is much better at coming out for crosses than Oxley is and that's the problem. You either stick a good shot stopper that won't come off his line in goal or you stick a poor shot stopper that will come off his line in goal, we don't have someone that can do both.

SOUTHEND United’s supporters vented their fury following yesterday’s shock 1-0 defeat at National League side Dover Athletic.

More...

I have sat in lot of main stands around the country and you can pick up on clubs that have an advantage because of their fans....Like Luton and then you can easily pick teams that are going to be relegated like Crew or Port Vale and Swindon.

Some grounds are far better suited for families but ours isn't

When Anton signed on the pitch he made the mistake of sitting with his young family to watch his first game. He was looking around in disgust at the things aimed at PB because it was the start of the season and that was before he even kicked a ball for us......I never saw his family again.

Another player who was going to sign sat with his young family in the directors box. He came in all smiles and nods.....Left 20 minutes early and didn't sign.

I have seen the fear of Theos wife as he was booed before he come on...I felt sorry for his little girl because she had the word daddy on her Southend shirt

Sometimes I used to have the job of looking after PB's young daughter when she came to games. Myself and other trusted Shrimpers would get some good seats for our work. When we was a Gillingham their fans would target PB from the stand and I would say to Sophie just ignore them. Which she did. The next time he was getting the same four letter abuse it was a bit difficult for me.... Because we were at RH. Try telling the managers daughter to just ignore the home fans.

I say this out shear frustration because the likes of PB thought highly of most of our fans and was usually treated with respect when he was out and about. likewise the mother of one of our players was full of praise for fans who have helped him out but disgusted by a small section she had to suffer....Which she hadn't witnessed at other clubs.

So to sum up we do have some very good fans but sadly you don't have to racially abuse someone to many times or hope their family have cancer before we are all in the dock.

My message is don't suffer these people. They do more harm than you think. I'm not talking about people who boo the team off You all know sort of people i'm talking about. So don't hold back.....Call them out. Its your duty as a real fan.

If our players was playing at Army Stadium in Warsaw, playing for Legia Warsaw, they would be killed for their display like on Sunday.

I have seen the fear of Theos wife as he was booed before he come on...I felt sorry for his little girl because she had the word daddy on her Southend shirt

A fantastically put post @rigsby but this part in particular actually made me feel instantly sad....genuinely sad.

We can all have and voice an opinion on who we rate and don’t and to an extent by supporting and paying to watch, we are entitled to have it....but the pride these families feel for their loved ones is immeasurable and trust me as much as they are prepared for it and spend their lives preparing their son or husband for it....it really hurts.

I would just urge the real fans.....and there are plenty and they are fantastic....don’t get roped into the venom. Don’t allow yourselves to think it must be ok because everyone is doing it....it’s like reading The Sun....don’t believe what you read and don’t let what you hear sway you from your own genuine rational opinions.

The players do care. They are suffering as much as you if not more.

Imagine having serious serious doubts about your own ability to do your job....but having to still do it in front of people telling you you are rubbish at it. Would it affect your ability to do it? Affect your decision making? Affect your willingness to take a risk or gamble in order to get a great result?

Confidence is everything so don’t stop coming. Don’t stop cheering. Don’t stop encouraging, expecting or demanding more. Let the minority fade away and stand strong and look for small positive signs of improvement.....there are some believe me.

Surely we can all try and make RH a place where our own players look forward to playing?

We look a team devoid of confidence and are a fan base that has used up its patience. The fan reaction wasn't a reaction to that performance so much as a reaction to the last two plus years of losing under six different managers.

I actually think the team have bottomed out but people want instant gratification. This though is going to be a long road back to respectability. We're not going to suddenly start winning games - even against Dover. It's going to be a process. It'll start by only losing games 1-0, then we might grind out a draw or two and only then pick up that elusive win. And there will be more bumps along the way as that first draw and then win will likely be followed by more losses. Eventually we'll turn a corner so long as we stick with it.

Wednesday's game comes out a good time for us - we need low profile matches away from the more vitriolic fans. I get the frustration but the games at Bristol, Bolton, Accrington and Doncaster seem matches where we'll be more likely to grab a result than the matches in front of expectant supporters at home to Oxford, Rotherham, MK Dons, Gills and Tranmere and the away fixture at Wimbledon. By then we'll probably be as good as down and it will be about identifying players who can contribute next season.

Honestly if Sol has identified the players that don’t want to be here then don’t play them end of story. Play the youth who actually want to play. I’d rather watch the kids lose 4-0 every week than these ****ing ****ers lose 4-0 every week

He dropped Cox and Milligan for this game.

Didn't work though.

Dover fan in peace here....... (I hate that expression, but it seems appropriate) ...... it’s understandable that many of you are in meltdown, and apologies for my club compounding your miserable season....trust me we’ve been there!

Hopefully now the dust has settled a bit I’ll give you my take on the game, although it isn’t pleasant reading for you. I think most of you seem resigned that relegation is on your cards for you, and I wouldn’t disagree with that view on the showing from you yesterday. I hope I’m wrong.

Clearly I’ve only seen you play once, but I have to say you were surprisingly poor for a L1 side. I’ve seen better sides in this division (National League) where I would compare you to mid-table or lower on yesterday’s showing.

Stating the obvious, but a massive overhaul required to stabilise in L2 (if you are relegated). Really hope you have an upturn in fortune soon, always sad to see a well established club with proud history in turmoil, as you seem at the moment.

This league (National League) and below, is littered with former FL sides aka Wrexham, Chesterfield, Notts County, Stockport, Barnet, Chester and York to name a few. Don’t be one of them, good luck in getting back on track.

Oh, your fans were class yesterday, especially given the horrific season your having.

Dover fan in peace here....... (I hate that expression, but it seems appropriate) ...... it’s understandable that many of you are in meltdown, and apologies for my club compounding your miserable season....trust me we’ve been there!

Hopefully now the dust has settled a bit I’ll give you my take on the game, although it isn’t pleasant reading for you. I think most of you seem resigned that relegation is on your cards for you, and I wouldn’t disagree with that view on the showing from you yesterday. I hope I’m wrong.

Clearly I’ve only seen you play once, but I have to say you were surprisingly poor for a L1 side. I’ve seen better sides in this division (National League) where I would compare you to mid-table or lower on yesterday’s showing.

Stating the obvious, but a massive overhaul required to stabilise in L2 (if you are relegated). Really hope you have an upturn in fortune soon, always sad to see a well established club with proud history in turmoil, as you seem at the moment.

This league (National League) and below, is littered with former FL sides aka Wrexham, Chesterfield, Notts County, Stockport, Barnet, Chester and York to name a few. Don’t be one of them, good luck in getting back on track.

Oh, your fans were class yesterday, especially given the horrific season your having.
Good luck in R2. Hope you get through and a nice payday in the 3rd round.

And yeah, we were a total embarrassment to L1 yesterday. You deserved the win.

We will bounce back, don’t know how, but hopefully we will...

The players do care. They are suffering as much as you if not more.
Lennon looked like he was really suffering when he was celebrating with Dover players at a pub after the game. There are some players that care but there’s also a number that clearly don’t, and Lennon’s actions highlight that.

Whilst I agree that more positivity from the fans at home could be productive (our best performances have come away from home where the support has on the whole remained positive), it’s going to be near enough impossible to convince everyone to be positive, and the actions of Lennon have made that even harder.

Back