• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hi Everyone,

Supported the Blues since 1958, earliest memories Harry Threadgold in goal, and a 6 foot Yogi Bear on to the South Bank before every match. I also was given a lift to school ( Prince Avenue ) by Tony Bentley every morning with Ernie Shepherds daughter. We also used to lay out the cups and bandages in the dressing room before leaving via the players tunnel and watching from the Paddock

Welcome to the site, if you have any problems or issues feel free to speak to myself or one of the other mods/admin team and we will do our best to help.

Hi Everyone,

Supported the Blues since 1958, earliest memories Harry Threadgold in goal, and a 6 foot Yogi Bear on to the South Bank before every match. I also was given a lift to school ( Prince Avenue ) by Tony Bentley every morning with Ernie Shepherds daughter. We also used to lay out the cups and bandages in the dressing room before leaving via the players tunnel and watching from the Paddock

Yes, I remember the 6 foot Yogi Bear (painted in our blue and white striped kit).......he was standing next to me for a number of matches in the 1962 season.:smile:
He was quite a brief phenomena and I associate our act more with the North Stand but there again the memory plays tricks and it was still surely the time you could change ends at half-time. He made one very memorable away-day trip to Crystal Palace on the back of an Austin 7, owned by a bloke I hardly knew (and haven't been in contact with since), named Sylvester (not a common name in that epoch).
Sadly, in October Yogi got caught in a downpour and died from pneumonia of the cardboard. Pleas to Kellogg's for a replacement in time for our Cup game against Brighton were not successful, although their publicity department did wish us luck for the game.......which we won.
Welcome to the board...........always good to have a few more older posters (my earliest memories go back to 1955!), we're a dying race you know!:winking:

Noooo in the 60's we played in blue and white candy stripes ( thick blue stripes, thin white, white shorts. and white socks with two blue stripes )

I remember that strip well.Though my favourite strip has to be the Scotland strip of 68/9.

That would be the one the FL objected to , as it clashed with the officials, prompting the wearing of three kits in the last 3 home games with the fans voting for their favourite.
The West Brom style (Navy and White Stripes , White sleeves won and that was my favourite kit (other than a white and Grey kit we wore away at Peterbro' a few years ago and we have never seen since...)

That would be the one the FL objected to , as it clashed with the officials, prompting the wearing of three kits in the last 3 home games with the fans voting for their favourite.
The West Brom style (Navy and White Stripes , White sleeves won and that was my favourite kit (other than a white and Grey kit we wore away at Peterbro' a few years ago and we have never seen since...)
I am sure that we wore 4 different strips West Brom , Chelsea , Ipswich and Coventry at the end of the 1968-69 season . I like a lot of older fans would love to see uss wear the Scotland shirts again .

A message at the top of the screen has reminded me that I hav.nt posted lately. I,m a full time carer for my aged and very infirm parents, so I hav,nt been able to visit Roots Hall for about 3 years. I follow the Shrimpers via this website, The Football League Paper,and " All at Sea"....So I don't feel able to add anything of value to the threads and only contribute on nostagic issues. I hope this clears the matter up!!

Back