• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
How many seasons have been decided on the last few games of the season and/or also decided on other teams for our place for the following season?

In 1931/2, we had our best ever season to date, with 2 games left we were 3 points below Reading and Fulham. That week, Southend beat Torquay, but the other clubs also won and we came 3rd.

In 1949/50, with only 4 games left, we were in the mix with Notts County and Northampton. 13,000 saw us play Northampton at home, we lost 2-1, then just drew our last 3 games to finish 3rd.

In 1968/9, we had a chance of promotion, but we need 3 wins out of last 4. We won the first, but lost the next 2. Amazingly, we scored 106 goals that season, and yet a defender won player of the season

In 1971/2 when we got promoted, we could have won the title, but after a loss at home after the keeper got injured and Spud went in goal v Cambridge, we only drew our last 3 games to come second.

In 1975/6 we had to win both of the last 2 games to stand any chance of staying up. We drew one, and lost the other in a winner takes all game v Sheff Weds

1984/5- a grim season indeed. In the last 9 games of the season we only scored in 2 of them, one of which was a 4-1 win away. We had numerous players sent off, and were facing re-election, which might have been the end. The last game was a real decider, home against bottom club Torquay whilst Halifax were playing Swindon. Swindon had to beat Halifax if we didn't win. Nil nil after 45 minutes, and news came in Halifax were winning. We got a penalty. Inchy scored. 1-0. We survived.

In 1986/7, Webby's first season (until he resigned in March), if we won our last game at Stockport, we were promoted. Pennyfather and Cadette scored to take us up.

In 1987/8, we went to the final game needing to win to have a chance of staying up. Fortunately, Rotherham lost and we won our game easily.

The game I most remember as a kid was 1988/89. Our fate was not in our hands. Chesterfield, Gills and Aldershot were already down. The last place was either for us or Reading. Our survival depended on Chesterfield beating Reading. At half time, the news that Chesterfield were 2-0 up was great. Spinner scored and we won, but Reading bloody scored 4 and won 4-2, meaning we went down.

The next season, a victory in our last game away at Peterborough would guarantee 3rd spot. Crowny scored the goals that won us the game. That season Col U went down to the Non League.

The next season - five final day dramas in a row! We had already got promotion, but Marcus Gayle ruined our chances of the title in the last game of the season, and Cambridge beat Swansea.

1992/3 next, and Stan the Man v Luton at home in the last game to stay up. A 2-1 win for us, and Luton were also saved as Cambridge and Brentford both lost.

2004/5 - we had to match Swansea's result to take 3rd place and the last promotion spot. Alas, Swansea won and we only drew at Grimsby. (I was there - taking my stepdaughter for a game she quickly lost interest in), however we did win the play-offs

The next season, a win on the final day ensure we won the title. Fortunately the Scum only managed a 0-0 and Pele scored the goal that clinched it.

So, a mixed bag - some we win, some we lose.

Thanks to the book a Century United

Last edited:
In 1975/6 we had to win both of the last 2 games to stand any chance of staying up. We drew one, and lost the other in a winner takes all game v Sheff Weds

Hmmm ... if we needed to win both to have any chance of staying up, how come after not winning the first one we had a winner takes all game to follow.

I remember going to that game, a Thursday night if I remember rightly. Huge crowd (nearly 30,000) and a very intimidating atmosphere. Still got my Sam Smiths engraved beer glass kept as a souvenir from the pub we stopped at afterwards.

The Reading / Chesterfield game is etched in my memory, reading were on a major slump and that second half comback sealed their first win in something like 15 games or so . I also only found out the result after i had celebrated safety !!

The Reading / Chesterfield game is etched in my memory, reading were on a major slump and that second half comback sealed their first win in something like 15 games or so . I also only found out the result after i had celebrated safety !!

Not quite 15 games, but they had a massive losing streak before:

Southend Utd A L 1-2 Gilkes
Wigan Athletic H L 0-3
Gillingham H L 1-2 Gilkes
Preston NE A L 1-2 Beavon (pen)
Fulham H L 0-1
Bristol City H L 1-2 Hicks
Chesterfield A W 4-2 Senior, Payne, Beavon 2 (2 pens)

We also went down with 54 points the highest ever points total any team has ever been relegated with. We were a far better than the season before we stayed up after winning our last 3 games. We managed to lose just 4 games at home that season. Next season we went straight back up but lost more home games than the season before when we were relegated.

Back