• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
I've just quit my job. Hurrah and huzzah!

From next season, I will be the EPL Correspondent for The Singapore New Paper, working from home with a laptop, Sky TV and a dog-eared copy of '1001 Tortured Similies'

I've also been offered a contract to write a book called, at the moment anyway, Football Fables.

Naturally, I've been very drunk for the past couple of days. However, now that sobriety has taken a hold, it appears I've got a lot of work to do.

Shrimperzone, as MtS likes to say, is a broad church, and I'm sure there's a few people out there who might be able to lend some advice. You will feel the full force of my 35k Rep button if you come through.

1, Anyone know any good accountants who can give me a quick lesson in being self-employed and then do my accounts when necessary? Naturally, I'll pay them the going rate.

2, Can anyone think of a better name than Football Fables? It's an anthology of football stories from an eclectic mix of footballers, but while some dictionaries define 'fable' as a legendary story, others describe it as a falsehood. Yikes.

3, Most importantly, I know that a number of you are self-employed. What advice would you give someone just starting out as their own boss?Particularly if that someone was partial to drinking wine in the small hours, playing Football Manager for six hours sessions and generally hiding bills behind heavy things?

Hello mate,

Well I can give you our accountant here....He is a top bloke and might well be able to give you some info. He is based in Uxbridge or somewhere like that.
PM if you want contact details.

As someone who is self employed I would say its a massive rollercoaster.

I had worked at LTSB HQ as a broker for 2 years. Basically I was top boy for 2 years running. I didnt even have to put much effort in and I was still making LTSB more money than any other broker by a mile - total doddle.

Having left the safety of LTSB in May 2005 I helped to start a business with a much older and experienced bloke from LTSB. I imagined it would be a matter of start a business and people come but it really was not.

The first six months were basically the worst of my working life. The phone didnt ring, I was getting mugged off by customers taking my advice and then going direct to the lenders, couldn't get help from the big lenders as they had never heard of us. I never regretted leaving LTSB HQ but it was a culture shock.

Bit by bit we got better and got to know more people. Soon I got to the point where I didnt have to advertise much and worked as I do know mostly off the back of word of mouth. Were now about to break into the top 20 brokers in London which is good as there are 470 odd about the city.

I would say you learn more about yourself in six months living by the seat of pants than you ever do in corporate life. I had massive pay days I could only dream of at LTSB and then crap months when I earned more aged 17. Luckily touching wood the bad days are largely behind me I hope.

Hardest things are I dont really ever take holidays, I have to go to countless social functions with people that can bore the tits of you and you never quite know what is coming next.

Pluses are the money which I could never have earnt before and maybe more so that the satisfaction that i can support myself without anyone else to push me.

I would say you have got to be motivated and above all bloody resliant.

Good Luck mate.

From next season, I will be the EPL Correspondent for The Singapore New Paper, working from home with a laptop, Sky TV and a dog-eared copy of '1001 Tortured Similies'

I've also been offered a contract to write a book called, at the moment anyway, Football Fables.

Naturally, I've been very drunk for the past couple of days. However, now that sobriety has taken a hold, it appears I've got a lot of work to do.

Shrimperzone, as MtS likes to say, is a broad church, and I'm sure there's a few people out there who might be able to lend some advice. You will feel the full force of my 35k Rep button if you come through.

1, Anyone know any good accountants who can give me a quick lesson in being self-employed and then do my accounts when necessary? Naturally, I'll pay them the going rate.

2, Can anyone think of a better name than Football Fables? It's an anthology of football stories from an eclectic mix of footballers, but while some dictionaries define 'fable' as a legendary story, others describe it as a falsehood. Yikes.

3, Most importantly, I know that a number of you are self-employed. What advice would you give someone just starting out as their own boss?Particularly if that someone was partial to drinking wine in the small hours, playing Football Manager for six hours sessions and generally hiding bills behind heavy things?

2. I don't think the semantics is as important as the alliteration. I like it. Or maybe Football Folk Tales?

3. Wear a suit in your own house, create a place that is your office. Make sure even if you don't work 9-5 you still put in 8 hours a day. Go someplace else if you can't do this. Set yourself measurable objectives.

Get your contracts written up, especially regarding terms of payment. Number of people I see who engage in work on a handshake and promise and then struggle to get paid is bewildering!

PM if you need anything looked over!

Last edited:
2. I don't think the semantics is as important as the alliteration. I like it. Or maybe Football Folk Tales?

3. Wear a suit in your own house, create a place that is your office. Make sure even if you don't work 9-5 you still put in 8 hours a day. Go someplace else if you can't do this. Set yourself measurable objectives.

Agree with Napster that the alliteration is the important thing. Maybe Football Fables & Folklore to get that extra "f".

Also, who is this book aimed at? Is it for the British market? The Singaporean market? Who within those markets? Is it going to be for kids, adults, or both?

****ing Football Fables & Folklore?

It's coming out next summer in the UK and it's described by the publisher as being, "the ultimate poo book"

I think that was a compliment, but I'm new to this game.

Self-employed eh? It's the only way to be! I've been limited company self-employed for nearly 2 years now as a freelancer.

The good things are the money's much better, you are your own boss, you make your own money and you get paid for the work you do. The only limit to what you can do is yourself.

The bad things...no sick pay, no holiday pay, no guaranteed income. If you find yourself out of work for a while it can be a real test of character - trust me you need to be pretty resilient and have a lot of self-belief in times like these.

That said, take a deep breath and go for it. It's the best feeling in the world being your own boss, and as Dave says you really find out a lot about yourself.

I don't know any accountants in London but I can recommend my accountant back in Southend - he's a good accountant and is straight down the line. If you want his details send me a pm.

I will phone you this evening Slip and Dts's advice is very good.

Nice one mate!

:D

and a dog-eared copy of '1001 Tortured Similies'
You should get in touch with Rofl Lundgren off Football365. He knows a simile or two...

:hilarious:

Well, let's brainstorm. People should just chuck down potential titles that come into their head. If none is better, then Football Fables may be the way forward.

I'll open the session with Slaves to the Vidiprinter - a little bit 1980s-retro going on there.

You could write a football book in text speak for the kids.. that was bizzare!

Back