• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

:thumbdown:

Music didn't stop being good in 1979 mate.

Yes indeed, in 1980, Genesis really hit their stride with the release of 'Duke'. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent.

Yes indeed, in 1980, Genesis really hit their stride with the release of 'Duke'. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent.

I'm glad that you mentioned the under-rated year of 1980, Rusty - which also saw the advent of Dexy's Midnight Runners with their wonderful paean to Geno Washington and the return to form of Sir David Bowie with 'Ashes To Ashes.' All this and the best triple album since 'All Things Must Pass' when The Clash gave us 'Sandinista.' :cool:

Ok Chaps and Ladies..Here is the draw for the first round....Heats start Tomorrow the 6th. 2 Heats per day discounting weekends.

Please remember YOU must post at least a video or some copy as to why your nominee is the best (the content can be from wiki or anywhere else)..Anybody failing to do so will automatically be eliminated and the tie awarded to the other party.Those who cannot for work reasons/etc can PM me with their editorial/videos beforehand for me to add to their heat.

If you are not sure how to load Video's then please read this thread.

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?68393-Uploading&p=1320571#post1320571

Chas and Dave - ldnfatso 13 v 23 Stevie Wonder - OBL
Robert Smith - Pubester 21 v 12 Axl Rose - spunky1983 (auto eliminated anyway for not posting)
Win Butler - Another Surrey Shrimper v The Brothers Gibb - Rusty
Paul Weller - MK Shrimper v Trent Renzor - Mr Gilbo
Brian Wilson - Barnablue v Morrissey - davewebbsbrain
William 'Smokey' Robinson - Uncle Leo v Roger Waters/David Gilmour - Great Yarmouth
Neil Diamond - They call it madness v Mike Skinner - shrimpboy
Freddie Mercury - Billericay Blue v Noel Gallagher - stereoscene
Roy Orbison - Cricko v John Mayer - Onion_Bag_Dave
Phil Collins - Crawliano v Leonard Cohen - Bearded Shrimper
Neil Young - Supernaut v Nick Drake - Lester Bangs
Kurt Cobain - Blue_Wes v Rod Templeton - Napster
JS Bach - MtS v Jagger/Richards - Mcnasty
Gary Barlow - Stats v Bruce Springsteen - pickledseal
John Lennon - Canveyshrimper v Prince - Clinton baptiste
Jarvis Cocker - Drastic Sturgeon v Bob Dylan - Dick Bate's Protege

Good luck to all.

Ok Chaps and Ladies..Here is the draw for the first round....Heats start Tomorrow the 6th. 2 Heats per day discounting weekends.

Please remember YOU must post at least a video or some copy as to why your nominee is the best (the content can be from wiki or anywhere else)..Anybody failing to do so will automatically be eliminated and the tie awarded to the other party.Those who cannot for work reasons/etc can PM me with their editorial/videos beforehand for me to add to their heat.

If you are not sure how to load Video's then please read this thread.

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?68393-Uploading&p=1320571#post1320571

Robert Smith - Pubester 21 v 12 Axl Rose - spunky1983 (auto eliminated anyway for not posting)
Win Butler - Another Surrey Shrimper v The Brothers Gibb - Rusty
Paul Weller - MK Shrimper v Trent Renzor - Mr Gilbo
William 'Smokey' Robinson - Uncle Leo v Roger Waters/David Gilmour - Great Yarmouth

Good luck to all.

Maybe I should be amazed that Paul McCartney didn't get in here, but on another day perhaps he would. Also, the absence of one of my heroes, David Bowie, is somewhat of an oddity. I can't explain the absence of Pete Townshend in these proceedings either and it really gets me that Ray Davies didn't make the cut. And no Elton either? Well, sorry seems to be the hardest word ... never mind the bees, as John Lydon kind of said.

Maybe I should be amazed that Paul McCartney didn't get in here, but on another day perhaps he would. Also, the absence of one of my heroes, David Bowie, is somewhat of an oddity. I can't explain the absence of Pete Townshend in these proceedings either and it really gets me that Ray Davies didn't make the cut. And no Elton either? Well, sorry seems to be the hardest word ... never mind the bees, as John Lydon kind of said.

Should have pulled your bloody finger out then!

No Ian Dury, or Chuck D, or Lee Thompson. :omg:

I did consider Elton John but went with Stevie Wonder. Townshend would never have got anywhere on here without degenerating into accusations being thrown from certain quarters that he's a paedophile. Never a massive Bowie fan myself, although I did like some of his early stuff. You should have got a nomination in Rob, did your brother not prompt you?!

I did consider Elton John but went with Stevie Wonder. Townshend would never have got anywhere on here without degenerating into accusations being thrown from certain quarters that he's a paedophile. Never a massive Bowie fan myself, although I did like some of his early stuff. You should have got a nomination in Rob, did your brother not prompt you?!

Elton would have never got anywhere without Bernie Taupin to write his lyrics, and like a lot of artists, the 80's didn't do them any favours.

Elton would have never got anywhere without Bernie Taupin to write his lyrics, and like a lot of artists, the 80's didn't do them any favours.
No, that was why I opted for Stevie Wonder, plenty of solo stuff as well as collaborations.

An easy Heat here for Stevie as he sends the Eastenders back where they came from.

The Cure man trounces the Gun 'N Roses front man to go safely through.

Win Butler - Another Surrey Shrimper 12 v 19 The Brothers Gibb - Rusty
Barry and the Bro's over come Arcade Fire's lead man to go through.

Paul Weller - MK Shrimper 22 v 11 Trent Reznor - Mr Gilbo
Jam front man Weller hammers the Nine inch nails man into the ground.

Brian Wilson - Shrimpero v Morrissey - davewebbsbrain

Good luck to all.

An easy Heat here for Stevie as he sends the Eastenders back where they came from.

The Cure man trounces the Gun 'N Roses front man to go safely through.

Win Butler - Another Surrey Shrimper 12 v 19 The Brothers Gibb - Rusty
Barry and the Bro's over come Arcade Fire's lead man to go through.

Paul Weller - MK Shrimper 22 v 11 Trent Reznor - Mr Gilbo
Jam front man Weller bashes the Nine inch nails man into the ground.

Good luck to all.

Barners against Morrissey,surely he'll throw it?but maybe the real match is Barners v DWB,lol.

Barna is on "holiday" for a few weeks so if anybody wants to put somebody else forward or take over Brian Wilson step in please.

Back