• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Drewe's on his way

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Feb. 11 2005,12:26)]Lest us forget, the day SZ.com met the great man:

03%20-%20Drewe%20&%20Naps.jpg
Nice picture !!!!!
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Flying Scotsman @ Feb. 11 2005,12:19)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 11 2005,11:13)]A good luck card will be available in the Spread tonight to be signed.
Are you taking the ****!!
I presume the card is to Rushden & Diamonds, something along the lines of "Good luck, you'll need it".

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Feb. 11 2005,11:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Feb. 11 2005,11:07)]I also don't see the decision to keep Tes or let him go as in any way related to the decision to release Drewe.

After all, is Tes anywhere remotely near a starting berth at the moment?  Surely the answer to that is a massive "no".  All the recent debates have been about how best to utilise Wayne Gray, Lawrie Dudfield and Fredy Eastwood.

Tes has totally dropped off the radar, so far as I'm concerned... and the responsibility for that is his, and his alone.

Frankly, he's going to have to do something pretty special between now and the end of the season to warrant being kept on, IMHO.
That's what I was trying to get at Matt. I would have kept Drewe as 4th choice and released Tes.
We were discussing after the last home game how maybe a Drewe / Freddy partnership would work - the classic big lump flicking on to the small speedy guy's runs, in the same stylee as Niall Quinn / Kevin Phillips did at Sunderland a couple of years ago.

I just think Tes has had his day, 4 years of 'unfulfilled potential' in my opinion.
But Rushden didn't want Tes...

Don't forget, you can't just "get rid" in mid contract. To sell, someone has to buy.

I actually think Tes has been very unlucky this season, got sent off in the 1st game, came back from that and started good partnerships with both Dudfield and Gray, the latter of which was tearing Boston to pieces, if you all remember, before Darryl got himself sent off. He then got injured while keeping, Tilson brought in Freddy and the rest, as they say, is history. Since then Tes has been only involved in bit parts, and I think only at Orient has he really let himself down. Nobody has seen Tes and Freddy up front together maybe they could be better than all the others, who knows? But I certainly would have been upset to see Tes ousted and Drewe kept on.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Feb. 11 2005,15:24)]Drewe's last interview is now online!
Wow - the bloke loved us lot didn't he??

See you later Drewe - I hope R&D stay up with your help.....

And then we get them in one of the cups next year..... and beat them !

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Feb. 11 2005,15:24)]Drewe's last interview is now online!
Almost brought a tear to my eyes reading that!

Seriously though he was bang on when he says that because he gave '110%', as he puts it, Southend fans took to him.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Feb. 11 2005,16:10)]
[b said:
Almost brought a tear to my eyes reading that!

Seriously though he was bang on when he says that because he gave '110%', as he puts it, Southend fans took to him.
Mine too!

sad.gif

Good luck, Drewe... you deserve success, sir.

Matt

(P.S. I just realised, we've agreed on something else...)

tounge.gif

Top lad but "best football of his career last season" still troubles me somewhat.

That said, I'll always say that anyone who plays for us and gives 100% will always be remembered well in my books.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Feb. 11 2005,18:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ Feb. 10 2005,13:10)]Any idea on the price?.

Good luck to him, he was never going to get in the side to be fair.
My guess is we paid R+D about 50K  
tounge.gif
Frankly, he is worth a damn sight more than that "Emma Bunton" - sheesh, I wouldn't give you tuppence for her!

ghostface.gif

Whatever your views on his footballing skills, I don't think you can deny he's a top bloke!

In my opinion, for what it's worth, he's right to go. I don't think his style fits in with the rest of the team, and to be honest he'd just be taking up wages.

However.. last season, he gave us that "battling" edge you sometimes need at the bottom end. His passion and comittment were always 110% (to borrow a cliche) and this is also invaluable in scrappy relegation battles when there's always a danger of heads dropping.

Several memories for me, obviously THAT goal (heard via the radio, wish I'd been there) and his LDV form in general really. Setting up Warren's winner against swansea, at the Vetch, when we were down to 8 men
biggrin.gif
and the reaction when he scored away at Cheltenham last season.

Also, as I recall, he was always one of the best for acknowledging the crowd.

Will Southend miss his footballing skills? No, I don't think so. I believe we've moved on a lot since those days.

Will Southend miss him? I think so. A model professional, who always gave his all. I think he'll be a good signing for RnD, and is realistically their best chance of staying up (once again, in my opinion)

so, all join me (metaphorically, I'm in swansea) tonight in one last massive Dreeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwweeeeee!

Back