• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Drink Driving

Have you ever had more than the drink drive level and driven?

• Yes

Votes: 30 51.7%
  • No

Votes: 28 48.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The laws on limits for drink driving have been in place since 1967. I understand why you have put that but McCormick wasn't caught drink driving within the last year either. Anyone drink driving has been more liable to kill someone since day one, not in the last year.

That wasnt my point DWB. When you said "After less than 24 hours there are more that have admitted drink driving than not" that counts a lot who have said they have done many years ago. He was convicted in 2008. I reckon if you asked the same question and included "in the last 4 years" you would get a lot less yesses.

"Have you ever had more than the drink drive level and driven?"

If the question asked had been "Have you ever driven drunk?" I would have answered no.

As it was, I answered yes.

If I have any amount of alcohol I don't drive. Wish more people had the same attitude as me, drink driving is a disgraceful thing to do. If you have a couple of drinks get a taxi home, leave your car in the pub car park. I went out once for a mates birthday said I wasn't going to drink. Ended up getting smashed leaving my car in town and getting a taxi home. I picked the car up later the next day when I felt a bit better and it was at least 12 hours since my last drink.

I don't know about a lot of you but if I got banned for drink driving I would lose my job. Not worth the risk or something happening like what happened to Luke McCormick.

Yes plenty of times not going to pretend to be a saint like most on here

Then sorry Scott but if you've knowingly driven over the limit you deserve to lose your licence and suffer every consequence thereof. And that goes for anyone else that's knowingly done it.

Oh and just because some posters on here are evidently more sensible than you does not make them a saint. That comment say's more about you than it does them.

Once and once only many years ago - and absolutely ridiculous it was too....had been drinking after work in London as usual (always tube or train to work as Central London not car friendly) - however on this occasion, I got the tube home, walked 20 minutes home, then decided I fancied a kebab. So went round the back and got my car out of the garage and drove to the kebab shop. The kebab shop was no more than 5 minutes walk the other way (30 seconds drive!), and it must have taken 2 minutes to get the car out....absolute raging mad behaviour, and of course indefensible.

There is a lesson to be learned from this - and that is why if I am driving now I do not drink, I will not even have 1 pint (maybe a shandy on a hot day at a push). There's no point having 1 pint, if you have 1 you want 2, then when you have 2 you want another - and whilst (almost) all of us on here if asked sober would never drink and drive, with 6 pints inside you the question may be answered differently. That's what alcohol does, it promotes very bad decision making.

When I think back to that 1 and only time it makes me sick to the pit of my stomach (and it was a long time ago) even now thinking about what could have happened....I was only behind the wheel for a couple of minutes but I wasn't just a bit over the limit, I was pished.

I remember going for a few after work, regularly left the car at work and walked in the next day but for some reason that night I decided that I was fine (having had at a guess 6 pints) and that I would drive home. I drove out of the car park and down the road and it took me about 5 seconds to realise that whilst I felt 'fine', there was no way I had the concentration levels to drive. I quickly pulled over, turned round, dumped the car back in the car park and walked home. It was a pretty scary and sobering experience, I'm sure 98% of the time I'd have still got home safely but I could have been the 2% that McCormick fell into and I'm glad my common sense recovered in time. Never again.

I have put yes because years ago, I might go out and have a few beers and then drive to work next morning when, in all likelihoods, I would still be over the limit despite only having had four or five pints up to closing time and not driving till 8'ish next morning. However, for the last 30 years or so, I have been more aware of these actions and don't put myself in this situation.
That said, I have always despised people who drink and drive on the same night when they must be aware of the risks to themselves and others.

It may have been due to a lack of sleep though, I've heard that can affect you just as much as alcohol does when driving.

I suspect most have driven the next morning whilst still over the limit and not realised it.

Same for me. There were times in my late teens/early twenties I would drive to a party in London, get monumentally ****ed, stay over, and drive home the next day. Not only was I probably over the limit, I had also probably only had about 2-3 hours sleep.

I simply didn't realise what I was doing. These day's you'd be hard-pushed to see me have more than 2 pints of an evening. If I do get drunk my wife would drive home...

I therefore realise that I was lucky and Luke McCormick was unlucky. What he did was terrible, but it could so easily have happened to me.

Then sorry Scott but if you've knowingly driven over the limit you deserve to lose your licence and suffer every consequence thereof. And that goes for anyone else that's knowingly done it.

Oh and just because some posters on here are evidently more sensible than you does not make them a saint. That comment say's more about you than it does them.

And you have knowingly broken in the speed limit in your mini, seen that for myself! Glass houses my friend

I use to do it when I was 18 young foolish and under influence of drink and drugs there is nothing big or clever about it. But like anything in my life I won't hide anything.

As for being a saint I have no doubt there are many on here who have done things they would never wish to admit

Damn straight mate, I would not be able to live with myself - yet another reason why I would never EVER do it again

I doubt McCormick is finding is easy either. It will be the most terrible day of his life and something that will stay with him for the rest of his life. I doubt there's a single day that goes past where he doesn't regret it.

Hopefully the good that comes out of this is that all the fans who see him play will now think twice before making the same mistake he made.

I like to keep one hand free for smoking and the other for drinking.

I do feel that the design of us human beings is somewhat flawed in only having two hands. After all, you don't then have one free for giving the police the finger, and for groping the female next to you...

I have, and got caught this was the Morning after picking my motor up at Bas Vegas after a lucky night, however it was'nt
got caught and went to court got 18 Month Ban.

However, glad it happen to me as it was a kick up the *** I needed, I was lucky still kept my job and made me grow up.

I wasn't one who had a few beers than drove it was always the morning after I caught, I never do it again, I always rem going Bas court they call u you in 3 at a time, the bloke before me was a nonce and has to go to the big court was no older than 20!

I have, and got caught this was the Morning after picking my motor up at Bas Vegas after a lucky night, however it was'nt
got caught and went to court got 18 Month Ban.

However, glad it happen to me as it was a kick up the *** I needed, I was lucky still kept my job and made me grow up.

I wasn't one who had a few beers than drove it was always the morning after I caught, I never do it again, I always rem going Bas court they call u you in 3 at a time, the bloke before me was a nonce and has to go to the big court was no older than 20!

With a username like that, I wouldn't want to be at the other end of your breath test :winking:

Back