• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dru Yearwood

Remarkable for a player who has played relatively few league games and never really lived up to his potential even at league 1 level. Brentford, who trade well at the moment, have clearly decided he's one to move on.
Yes,that’s what Brentford do so remarkably well.
Very similar with Bentley,of course,although he ,a few years older,had quite long spells as first choice to advertise his abilities (and flaws!)

Really? Even if he is on £10k a week that won't set him up for life if he starts sliding down the football pyramid.

On £10k a week for let’s say two years that’s over £1m before tax. That’s not including bonuses, and sponsorship deals. I could set myself up for life with that money with good investments. If he doesn’t go down the usual route of a young footballer and blat their money on name branded clothes and ridiculous cars he could easily set himself up for life with this transfer. Invest in property back one, one to live and the other to rent out. He can still have some pocket change to cover himself in Burberry and buy a nice Corvette to burn about in.

Dru had a 4 year contract with Brentford and will be earning a lot more in the US.

I don't know the tax rules out there but he will certainly be banking a far more than than other young people his age studying for a degree in something really useful like eskimo drumming or similar.

Plus why will he be sliding down the pyramid rather than climb up another level?

It seems odd to see a player go over the pond at this stage of his career and I'm not sure how I see it playing out.

On one had I can see him being the Freddy Adu than never was, and being a sensation. On the other I can see him doing okay and not fitting back into English football again but in other countries around Europe. I dunno, it's just a feel. I hope he does well. 20-years-old and living in New York playing football... Maybe the American Dream does still exist.

On £10k a week for let’s say two years that’s over £1m before tax. That’s not including bonuses, and sponsorship deals. I could set myself up for life with that money with good investments. If he doesn’t go down the usual route of a young footballer and blat their money on name branded clothes and ridiculous cars he could easily set himself up for life with this transfer. Invest in property back one, one to live and the other to rent out. He can still have some pocket change to cover himself in Burberry and buy a nice Corvette to burn about in.

add in 10% of the transfer fees to date and the wages he’d be due for remainder of his contract for not asking for a move, plus the wages he’ll be getting, it’s prob enough to ensure he’ll at least be mortgage free for life which is a good step towards being pretty set for life

I understand (from watching Sunderlandtilidie) that an agents income/cut is unrestricted on any deal that moves a player out of the UK ...

It was the young forward at Sunderland who moved to Lyon ... a move that I thought was a terrible move for a 19 year old ripping it up in England and on the verge of a big CCC move or better .

I hope it works out for Dru but it soccer in USA is a backwater and he could have gone to another CCC club and been the main man in a midfield.

The agent will have pocketed an unrestricted amount of the "fee" ..

Shows how lower league clubs get stitched up - sold him for 500K, and less than a year later he goes for 1.5M!

Shows how lower league clubs get stitched up - sold him for 500K, and less than a year later he goes for 1.5M!

But with the sell on fee we end up with £700k?

Realistically that’s not a bad price for a kid from a poor league 1 side who despite showing huge potential hadn’t actually set the world alight just yet? Plus there’s always a premium attached associated with buying from a club higher up the pyramid so the minute he became a championship player his value increased.

He also was never going to be banging in goals, one area of his game that needed vast improvement

The MLS season is over and doesn’t start again until March. As you say probably just keeping fit but maybe there’s a chance of him coming on loan for a couple of months? Although I’m sure a L1 club would take him.

Back