• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Options

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
Ladies and Gentlemen,

After a lot of encouragement (from OBL) and as a special birthday tribute to OBL all be it a little late please welcome the return of DtS cooking corner.

All of the dishes in DtS cooking corner is dishes that I am cooking for Mrs DtS at the moment so I dont put it on here until I have tried it. I am a fairly basic cook and therefore all my dishes are simple to put together.

This week is probably my best new dish in ages - Blackened Cod. I got the idea as the father in law gave us some nice cod. I got all my ingredients at Sainsburys so sure you guys can get them at your supermarket.

Its not the cheapest dish to make but to the same point its on of my best ever.

INGREDIENTS

For the teriyaki sauce:
105ml/7tbsp kikkoman (light) soy sauce
105ml7tbsp mirin (spirit-based sweetener)
105ml/7tbsp sake wine (this is a bit expensive but tastes the biz)
140g/10tbsp caster sugar,

For the cod:
Cod fillet (one for each person your cooking for)
2 spring onions, cut into thin matchsticks)
a pack of bean sprouts
a pack of thin noodles
cucumber, cut into thin matchsticks
Mushrooms - I sliced but do what you want I think.
oil for frying
salt and freshly ground pepper

METHOD

1. Mix together all the ingredients for the sauce

2. Season the cod with some salt and pepper.

3. Heat a heavy frying pan and add a drop of oil.

4. Once the pan is smoking add the sauce mix and book on a medium (important) heat for about ten mins. The key is its got to thicken up. If its still really runny its not ready.

5. Once the sauce starts to thicken a bit add the fish fleash side down.
and cook at a mid temperature for 2 minutes on the white fish side.

6. Put some oil in another pan and when the oil is hot add enough bean sprouts,noodles,mushrooms,cucumber,Spring Onion for the number of people you have.

7. Turn the fish over using a fish slice if you have one and cook on the skin side for about two mins.

8. Cook for another 2 minutes and then reserve the fish and sauce.

9. Arrange the vegetable/sprouts mix on a plate. Put the cod on the vegetables and drizzle the teriyaki sauce around. Lovely.

Let me know how you get on.

sounds brilliant, i'll definitely give it a go. I've used Teriyaki sauce on a Sea Bream recipe that I have. You can get mixed Teriyaki sauce which is really good (I use Clearspring) and is a lot cheaper than buying bottles of Saki and Mirin, just add the caster sugar separately

Fantastic, Dave - Revs may have gone, but now we've got your blackened cod, Scannell's pies and whatever you bring us: the world's your oyster! :slurp:

On a more serious note though, nice thread idea! Look forward to some more...

Well done Dave, like I said, your original recipe thread was excellent - and possibly even the inspiration for Revs' ones, we'll never know now!

Will give this one a go, but not sure when - I can heartily recommend your brilliant baked risotto! Did you ever have a go at my mediterranean lamb?

I'm an absolutely hopeless cook, i actually pushed myself beyond my boundries last night with some pasta sause, half a tin of skinned tomatoes and 4 sausages cut and mixed in, all on a bed of pasta shells

Food was 8/10 but the wind it caused after would've reduced a saint to violence

I'm an absolutely hopeless cook, i actually pushed myself beyond my boundries last night with some pasta sause, half a tin of skinned tomatoes and 4 sausages cut and mixed in, all on a bed of pasta shells

Food was 8/10 but the wind it caused after would've reduced a saint to violence

I can supply lessons....for a price ;)

I can supply lessons....for a price ;)

No you're ok mate, i get by with simple stuff and microwave meals though in hindsight i reckon i could do this thing Dave goes on about at the top of the thread

Step 1) Go to chip shop
Step 2) Buy piece of cod
Step 3) Strip cod of batter and place in oven at 250 degrees
Step 4) Go to pub for several hours
Step 5) Return home to cod, which by now will in all likehihood be nicely blackened

Simples.

No you're ok mate, i get by with simple stuff and microwave meals though in hindsight i reckon i could do this thing Dave goes on about at the top of the thread

Step 1) Go to chip shop
Step 2) Buy piece of cod
Step 5) Return home to cod, which by now will in all likehihood be nicely blackened

Simples.

More like charcoaled mate, when your house burns to the ground :O

Step 1) Go to chip shop
Step 2) Buy piece of cod

Simples.

Cooking is a piece of ****. If I can manage it, anyone can.....

made it last night. it was absolutely superb and will definitely be making it again. Mrs Pubey loved it too, which is high praise indeed!

19264_562152746469_223801083_3967661_1779559_n.jpg

made it last night. it was absolutely superb and will definitely be making it again. Mrs Pubey loved it too, which is high praise indeed!

19264_562152746469_223801083_3967661_1779559_n.jpg

Doesnt look very blackened

I think it would look better with some of those hundreds and thousands around the outside

Doesnt look very blackened

I think it would look better with some of those hundreds and thousands around the outside

yep unfortunately at my current flat I've got a solid electric hob, which is a bit of a pain for turning the heat up and down. the pan wasn't hot enough when i put the fish in but it still did the job.

Back