• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dubai and Qatar tennis events

sufcintheprem

This is a modified caption
Does anyone want to know how the early season events have gone? I seem to have found myself watching almost every game!

Good game going on now if you can get yourself either a TV with Eurosport or are allowed to access Betfair.com (streamed on there).

Murray has come back from a set down against Federer (as always) and the standard is probably the best of the tournament. If MUrray wins this I think he might sneak in as favourite for the Aus Open which would have been thought ludicrous half a year ago.

Fair comment, he is certainly a contender. With Murray seemingly able to have the edge over Federer in the long run and Nadal still underperforming on hard (compared with clay etc), then Murray needs to slip up against someone lower ranked (which would be an upset) to not win it.

Certainly interesting. He can always claim he has an injury when he has a bad match to account for a "shock" loss ;)

On another note, I do get the purpose of the Dubai Open but please make it a rankings event, rather than a chance of winner takes all (£170,000).

Yeah, it would be a lot better if it was ranked. No-one was really that bothered about the event at all. The match between Murray and Federer was so much lower standard than the one today!

Murray's broken Fed now and it looks like he's going to beat him with another comeback win. There have been so many Federer 3rd set unforced errors. Not even just unforced but easy balls to get back in play.

He always seems to have the edge over Federer now. Do you think that when Federer was on top, he was almost "invincible" and as soon as he lost Wimbledon (and arugably perhaps before then), he lost this mentality and now seems to struggle in general?

Don't get me wrong, he beats most people in the world, I just think he will never reclaim top spot because he appears to almost lack self belief and question his game. I'm not saying this is the case, but as you said, some of the errors he makes I feel he would never have made back in the day.

Agreed, that non-rankings match was truly awful, by both players. Make it a rankings event, then we will see a better game.

You know, I think Murray may have sowed the seeds of doubt when he beat him back in 2007 because Federer was still near invincible on anything other than clay back then. Murray really surprised him that day with shots out of nowhere and passes that just weren't on and it seemed to really get to Federer.

The job was probably complete when Nadal not only took the Wimbledon crown against what was almost Federer's best tennis but also demolished him at Roland Garros.

There does seem to be a nagging feeling now that finally Federer's composed exterior has been cracked by not one, but two rivals. He was visibly frustrated in the third set today. I suppose the way that Nadal and Murray play is a big part of it. Winners from balls that look to be dead.

Should be an interesting Aus Open.

I remember that match in 2007, what tournament was it? That was a massive result for Murray back then because he was still looking to break into the top 10 I believe.

I honestly feel that is it for Federer. He's not getting any younger and Nadal's and Murray's never give up attitude earn them a few extra points every set they play. He could be at number 3 by the end of this year if he has a disappointing year (similar to the second half of last year). I still don't know what to make of Djorkovic. Definitely cannot see him winning the Australian Open this year though.

I feel the years rankings will be: (only IMO though!!)
1. Nadal
2. Murray
3. Federer
4. Djorkovic

In terms of the Aus Open, I think there are still question marks over Murray lasting two weeks of five set matches, even when he's fit...

But thats the same for all "majors" isn't it and he lasted for the 2 weeks in the high humidity of America where he had some long matches

Murray is playing and won the first set with relative ease. Can honestly see him winning at least one major this year

But thats the same for all "majors" isn't it and he lasted for the 2 weeks in the high humidity of America where he had some long matches

Maybe, but he was trounced by Federer in the final. Given Murray's record against the great man (i.e. 5 wins out of 8) you have to say that fatigue could well have been a factor.

Maybe, but he was trounced by Federer in the final. Given Murray's record against the great man (i.e. 5 wins out of 8) you have to say that fatigue could well have been a factor.

Could well have been, though i think Federer managed to raise his game for that final and perhaps nerves got the better of Murray

Does anyone want to know how the early season events have gone? I seem to have found myself watching almost every game!

Good game going on now if you can get yourself either a TV with Eurosport or are allowed to access Betfair.com (streamed on there).

Murray has come back from a set down against Federer (as always) and the standard is probably the best of the tournament. If MUrray wins this I think he might sneak in as favourite for the Aus Open which would have been thought ludicrous half a year ago.

Apparently on here too...

Could well have been, though i think Federer managed to raise his game for that final and perhaps nerves got the better of Murray

Indeed it could have been, but Murray couldn't go with him. Hence my point about question marks. I'm not saying he can't do it, just that i'm not convinced he can just yet. If he doesn't win a slam sometime in his career i'll be amazed though...

He's now a double-break up in the 2nd set at 4-1. Can see this being over in the next 5/10 mins

He's now a double-break up in the 2nd set at 4-1. Can see this being over in the next 5/10 mins

You'd have to say so. Murray actually needed to win this to maintain his ranking points since he won there last year. Let's just hope he hasn't done this at the expense of his back, and therefore his chances at the Aus Open.

He really is the man to beat at the moment.

Hasn't looked like his back has been in trouble at all. I wonder if that was a bit of mind games before the match?? 5-1 now

Back