• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dublin, on a relative budget

BaileytheQuitter

Spelling Guru
If there is such thing as a cheap break in Dublin, it's what I'm looking for!

Going with a group of mates at the end of March, just wondering if anyone has been there:

1) Where are good places to eat?
2) Where is good to drink? *Priority*
3) What is worth checking out while we're there?

Ta.

Temple Bar and the surrounding area are great for drinking, it's not cheap though, probably about 5-6euros a pint. The Guinness and Jameson factory's are both good. A good option is to go on the open top bus where you can hop on and off.

Beefy is your man regarding Dublin.

If you want Dublin on a relative budget, don't take the family!!!

:hilarious:

Yeah, Ryanair from Stansted is a far cheaper option than flying to the West Coast from Southend is. In 18 months (flying to Essex once or twice per month) here my most expensive flight was €50 return and usually I fly for half of that.

There's no such thing as a cheap night out in Dublin. Accept that before you start. Any other City in the British Isles you can head somewhere for a few cheap beers on a night out but on a Friday or Saturday night you're looking at €4.80 for a Guinness, €5.50 for a lager and €6-8 for a single spirit + mixer (although single measures are 35ml in Ireland so slightly larger than a standard UK measure). In Temple Bar you can add 50c to that and the price increases throughout the night. I'd still recommend Temple Bar though, at least for a while. It's a great craic, it's rammed every evening and it's always full of people there for a good laugh.

Johnnie Foxes is a decent recommendation if you want to see something very Irish (and by that I mean very cheesy, over-priced and playing up for the tourists) but again it's a good laugh, although slightly out of the way being up in the Mountains.

Can't not mention Copper Face Jacks, I suppose. Think the TOTS of Ireland. Absolutely notorious for being full of drunks and slappers but it is what it is and seven nights a week it's rammed. For a bunch of lads you can't really go wrong.

As for things to do in the day.... I've been asking myself that for a couple of years now. There's not much here, truth be told. The Guinness Storehouse is very good, and it finishes with a complamentary pint at the bar overlooking the whole of the City. It's literally the perfect pint of the black stuff and you'll never get a better one. The Jameson's factory is meant to be good as well but I've not been there yet. You can do the bus but again I find the City a bit too small to justify a bus, but that is just my opinion. Dublin's main feature is its array of pubs. If you're here for a couple of days I'd recommend spending a fair amount of time in those. I'm happy to give you a list of pub and bars that I'd recommend but you can pretty easily create your own pub crawl as you rarely have to go more than a few yards in the City before stumbling across one.

Last edited:
Back