• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Durham/ECB postpone ****-up in brewery citing organisational difficulties

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
As anyone who has been following the sports news will be aware the Durham v Yorks 20:20 game was called off because their young spinner Azeem Rafiq was apparently ineligible (or according to Nasser Hussain, illegible - presumably this is because his doosra is unreadable). This is probably the biggest ****-up I've heard of in sports.

For Yorkshire's final 20:20 game they were without centrally contracted Michael Vaughan and decided to call-up from their Academy the young mystery spinner Azeem Rafiq from their academy. Apparently Rafiq was registered with the ECB under the Yorkshire Academy but not for first class cricket (or presumably 20:20 cricket which isn't first class). The ECB however were clearly aware of the 17 year old Rafiq, as he had previously not just played for England at under 15 level but CAPTAINED England.

Yorkshire should be commended for playing their academy products. They should be commended for having produced AND played an England under-15 captain. They should be commended for encouraging a young spinner who can turn it both directions. They should be commended for encouraging the Asian immigrant population to play. They shouldn't be punished for the current England captain being withdrawn by the ECB.

The fact that Yorkshire were prevented from playing on the same day that Northamptonshire fielded SIX South Africans (plus an Australian and an Irishman) makes it even worse.

For the game in question, Yorkshire fielded no overseas player (their official overseas player Pakistani international Rana Naved didn't play), although Jacques Rudolph and Gerard Brophy are both blatantly South African, Rudolph in particular has played for South Africa. Both play under the Kolpak rules. However their opponents fielded an Australian international (Voges) as their overseas player, plus two Kiwi internationals (Andre pie-chucker Adams and Chris Cairns) plus a Grimsby born fast bowler with a suspicious Aussie twang (Pattinson).

Shame on you ECB. Academy players should be allowed to be fielded without any additional paperwork. You should ensure you captains of England are actually English. As superb as Essex's performance was, it was a dark, dark day for English cricket.

Even though I agree with you regarding the Kolpak nonsense of teams like Northants & Leicester (and its great to give them a good tonking) think the only solution is for Durham to go straight through. Yorkshire admitted their error and have to pay the price. In all fairness Durham would have likely p*ssed all over Yorkshire anyway!! The other options for either Glamorgan (as next best 3rd place side) or Notts (who finished 4th in Yorks group) would be too messy to sort out.

Even though I agree with you regarding the Kolpak nonsense of teams like Northants & Leicester (and its great to give them a good tonking) think the only solution is for Durham to go straight through. Yorkshire admitted their error and have to pay the price. In all fairness Durham would have likely p*ssed all over Yorkshire anyway!! The other options for either Glamorgan (as next best 3rd place side) or Notts (who finished 4th in Yorks group) would be too messy to sort out.

Durham hardly covered themselves in glory either.

They were told at 2:45pm by the ECB to call the game off. They apparently appealed but then basically just ignored the ECB and opened the gates (and no doubt the bars) at 3:30pm. At that stage there was a flurry of phone-calls between the ECB and Durham.

At 4:45pm the ECB suggested that Durham at least hold an exhibition game. It starts to rain.

5pm Durham (and Yorks) refuse to play an exhibition match, saying conditions aren't good enough. Start drafting press release blaming ECB for no game taking place and calling for Durham to be given a bye.

If it was too wet for an exhibition match, surely it was too wet for a quarter-final? In that case the game goes forward to the reserve day and the ECB has 24 hours to resolve the matter?

As far as I can see, Durham's eyes have lit up at the thought of the champions league place and they are just interested in getting into the next round, not in playing cricket nor in looking after spectators.

Durham of course were due to have Shaun Pollock (as well as Dale Benkenstein (SA), Gareth Breese (WI), Albie Morkel (SA, and I think their legitimate overseas player) and Michael Di Venuto (Aus)) play for them in the quarter final as a Kolpak player, but because of TV commitments if this game is rearranged Pollock probably won't be able to play.

all though I dont dispute Durham want an easy pass to the final there is the issue of Yorks playing an unregistered player in the group stages against Notts which then involves possibly Glamorgan & Notts claiming the place instead of Yorkshire. I presume they still could have played yesterday weather permitting without the unregistered player of course had the group game not been an issue.

The whole thing is a mess whatever and is so typical of the way cricket is run!

On the plus side an Essex team made up of mainly young English players sits trouble free in a semi-final berth!

In fact the ECB's dream final - a non-ICL affair between Essex and Middlesex - is still on.
And yes, before anyone asks, I'd support my home county (Essex), not my adopted one (Middlesex) :p

and the champions league here we come.

I guess YB's not going to be pleased...

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/countycricket2008/content/story/360654.html

The only good point is that Durham don't get straight through despite all of their crowing, and have to face Notts in the quarter-finals. I think that a more fair decision would've seen the last group match replayed (after all, it was only the fact that the ECB pulled Vaughan out of the match - they were prepared to let him play the previous night in a match that was rained off! - and spinner David Wainwright was injured on the day of the match that got Rafiq into the team), but the fact that there is only 16 days to Finals day probably meant that it simply wasn't possible.

Back