• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southampton Shrimper

Team Eggheads
I have still as yet never uploaded anything on to YouTube, but have been thinking for years I should get some of my old VHS footage onto there. Having put some old SUFC footage onto a DVD this morning, it has reminded me again that maybe I should give it a try.

Having looked into it, it appears I need a DVD Ripper to get the video from the DVD onto my hard drive in order to then be able to upload it to YouTube. The top two entries from a Google search for "DVD Ripper" are Magic DVD Ripper, which currently costs £34.97 and WinX DVD Ripper which is free.

So, my question to techies out there is: is my choice as obvious as it seems - do I go for the free version? Is it any good? Do you have any others that you recommend? What do you use?

Once I've downloaded a ripper, I presume it's a straightforward process from there to get the video on to the hard drive and then on to You Tube? I will have a question about what is the best format to save it to for getting it onto YouTube, but maybe I need to take this one thing at a time :unsure:

Any help much appreciated!

All this is done with free tools, let me get the comotion that is dinnertime out the way & I'll get you all you need later..:thumbsup:

OK I'm going to assume that when you converted your VHS to DVD, that software created an industry standard file structure, VOB, BUP & IFO files. You can find this out by putting your disc into your PC drive & selected explore from the right click menu. There should be two folders, Video_TS & Audio_TS, Audio will be empty.

If you can see those filetypes then were in business..:smile:

Clicky here for lot's of guides on this, but I would go with this one

Converting to MP4 would be favourite for uploading to Youtube & some of these all-in-one programs don't really cut it when you want to take on a task like this.

Reading that guide it may seem a little daunting but it really is quite easy. Persevere with your first clip & after that they will all be a breeze.

Give me a shout if you get stuck & I'll try & help..:thumbsup:

Thanks for that, Pitsea. There are two folders on the DVD, one called VIDEO_RM and one called VIDEO_TS. They both have stuff in them.

Am I still good to go??

Thanks for that, Pitsea. There are two folders on the DVD, one called VIDEO_RM and one called VIDEO_TS. They both have stuff in them.

Am I still good to go??

Not sure what Video_RM is, probably unique to the software you used Im guessing, but if the Video_TS folder contains what I said, then you should be..:smile:

A good test would be to play back one of the VOB's using VLC Player, if it plays in that then your in business..:thumbsup:

Got it to play on the VLC Player - eventually!! - so it looks like I can try the next step (the daunting-looking one!). I shall have a lie down, have a day out in Bradford and then maybe try the next bit on Saturday!

I usually do the following, very simple process...

Rip the DVD with MakeMKV (currently free while in beta, fantastic bit of software) - www.makemkv.com
Encode the resulting file into whatever format/bit rate needed using Handbrake - http://handbrake.fr/

Right, I downloaded DVD Shrink and WinFF, tried opening the DVD in DVD Shrink, but it wouldn't let me, some kind of error. So, I downloaded DVDFab Encrypter and this time successfully saved the DVD to my hard drive. However, it seems I have DVDFab only on a 30-day trial - no way of having a free version, is there?

Then went back to DVD Shrink and I was able to open the video in there, but the thing is each title appears to be only a few seconds long, all of them together are about a minute and a half, I could play each title in DVD Shrink and they are only tiny excerpts of what I have put onto the disc.

Now, it could be a problem with the disc - I did notice just as I had finished recording from VHS it started saying that every track was only one second long, when it had been giving the actual times before, so maybe I pressed something that caused an error on the disc and should try with another disc?

Otherwise, I don't have a clue what to do next!

:unsure:

SS, I have a whole host of old SUFC videos which i have wanted to to convert to DVD for ages. You don't fancy doing them do you? I dont mind paying and you can make a copy for yourself as well?
SS, if you like you can make a copy for me too, if that helps sweeten the deal!

Sorry, guys, I've been away.

Unfortunately, I also have "a whole host" of videos that could do with transferring, as well as some of my dad's that he'd like me to do, add to that I have very little free time to do it, so I can't really take any more on.

I'm sorry.

SS, I have a whole host of old SUFC videos which i have wanted to to convert to DVD for ages. You don't fancy doing them do you? I dont mind paying and you can make a copy for yourself as well?[/QUOTE
I might be able to transfer them for ou

Back