• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

davewebbsbrain

Webby⭐
You picked us up from the depths of League two. Three cup finals and a League title to. Your a legend that we all knew. One Steve Tilson, forever a Blue.

Don't forget the 2 relegations, or don't they count in this legend status?

you get the prize for being the most miserable small minded fool

I'm not small minded or miserable. It just seems that everyone is blinkered and can only see the promotions. Nobody has factored in the 2 relegations. There is no doubt Tilly is SUFC thru and thru and we had good times under Tilly, but we also had bad times.

Very extreme but in a similar vein.....we all hate Hitler, nasty evil man but:

He unified Germany, provided jobs and opportunities for thousands of people, and gave the country hope for a return to glory after the farce that was its economy (following the Treaty of Versailles). His war machine was responsible for some of the greatest advances in technology and science the world has ever seen. He probably also lowered the rates of mental and physical disability in the country for quite some time after the war. (this is taken directly from a website and not my words or thoughts)

Point being there is 2 sides to everything...a positive and a negative. To get the full and correct picture, you need to see both sides.

Last edited:
I think we can possibly blame Tilly for being out of his depth in the Chumpianship relegation......Last season no way..It was totally RM's fault.

DWB if you can think of a valid reason for Tilly not to be a legend ..you have yet to show us it.

How the f*** you make a comparison between Hitler and Tilly is beyond me.

I'm not small minded or miserable. It just seems that everyone is blinkered and can only see the promotions. Nobody has factored in the 2 relegations. There is no doubt Tilly is SUFC thru and thru and we had good times under Tilly, but we also had bad times.

He unified Germany, provided jobs and opportunities for thousands of people, and gave the country hope for a return to glory after the farce that was its economy (following the Treaty of Versailles). His war machine was responsible for some of the greatest advances in technology and science the world has ever seen. He probably also lowered the rates of mental and physical disability in the country for quite some time after the war.

Point being there is 2 sides to everything...a positive and a negative. To get the full and correct picture, you need to see both sides.

I'm in favour of free speech and people having the right to express their opinions. But I'm also free to say that I actually feel sick reading this post.

He unified Germany, provided jobs and opportunities for thousands of people, and gave the country hope for a return to glory after the farce that was its economy (following the Treaty of Versailles). His war machine was responsible for some of the greatest advances in technology and science the world has ever seen. He probably also lowered the rates of mental and physical disability in the country for quite some time after the war.

Wind your neck in, this is Southend United we are talking about FFS the positive's far far outway any negatives.

Last edited:

You're entitled to your views about Tilly, but was this really the thread to post it in? To do so here just smacks of it being a case of "look at me, I'm different, I don't follow the majority"

In a similar vein, your comments on Hitler are correct, but would you say them in a Synagogue at the unveiling of a statue of someone who challenged him?

Is that your entry for the plaque competition?

You're entitled to your views about Tilly, but was this really the thread to post it in? To do so here just smacks of it being a case of "look at me, I'm different, I don't follow the majority"

In a similar vein, your comments on Hitler are correct, but would you say them in a Synagogue at the unveiling of a statue of someone who challenged him?

Sorry if it comes across like that, it isn't the case. I also think that Blair offers a lot to the team, so probably in the majority there and not trying to be different. Maybe it isn't the right thread to post in, but people do seem blinkered towards Tilly and I just don't understand why. He was a new manager, no experience, and he did get us 2 promotions, but people seem to hail him as the messiah who did nothing wrong. 2 relegations, terrible tactically and not good with the press (i know that doesn't have anything to do with his managerial status). I also think that people going to Lincoln are going just to see Tilly and not support the team.

Last edited:
Sorry if it comes across like that, it isn't the case. I also think that Blair offers a lot to the team, so probably in the majority there and not trying to be different. Maybe it isn't the right thread to post in, but people do seem blinkered towards Tilly and I just don't understand why. He was a new manager, no experience, and he did get us 2 promotions, but people seem to hail him as the messiah who did nothing wrong. 2 relegations, terrible tactically and not good with the press (i know that doesn't have anything to do with his managerial status). I also think that people going to Lincoln are going just to see Tilly and not support the team.

This has nothing to do with this thread and you are talking complete bollocks trying to look clever.
:off topic:

This has nothing to do with this thread and you are talking complete bollocks trying to look clever.
:off topic:

No I'm not, I originally replied to Smiffy's post, he mentioned all the things Tilly had done apart from the relegations.....If you are gonna talk about everything Tilly has achieved, it needs to be balanced.

Is that your entry for the plaque competition?

That made me laugh.....People are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I have respect for Tilly but just don't think he is a legend.

I don't believe I'm the only one to think this, but I believe I'm the only one that isn't afraid to stand up and say it and not crumble to mocking and bullying and file in line with the lovers of Tilly brigade

Last edited:

This post could be the most oblique example of Godwin's Law in the history of the internet.

That made me laugh.....People are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I have respect for Tilly but just don't think he is a legend.

I don't believe I'm the only one to think this, but I believe I'm the only one that isn't afraid to stand up and say it and not crumble to mocking and bullying and file in line with the lovers of Tilly brigade

DWB - as much as I totally disagree with your take on Tilly, I think we can have a civilised discussion about just how much Tilly (and Brush) achieved at the club, especially compared to the dross that went on for years before. And it wasn't just striking it lucky on Eastwood (not that I'm suggesting you are saying that's all his six years of success was, but some people have in the past).

But what I'm really angry about is the way you've totally overstepped the mark in trying to make your point as to disagreeing with how good he was. If you feel you're being misunderstood, perhaps you can clarify your comparison with Hitler, and also the comments about what Hitler achieved by lowering the rates of physical and mental disability in Germany? With hindsight, would you like to apologise for the offence caused by these insensitive remarks?

Last edited:
DWB - as much as I totally disagree with your take on Tilly, I think we can have a civilised discussion about just how much Tilly (and Brush) achieved at the club, especially compared to the dross that went on for years before. And it wasn't just striking it lucky on Eastwood (not that I'm suggesting you are saying that's all his six years of success was, but some people have in the past).

But what I'm really angry about is the way you've totally overstepped the mark in trying to make your point as to disagreeing with how good he was. If you feel you're being misunderstood, perhaps you can clarify your comparison with Hitler, and also the comments about what Hitler achieved by lowering the rates of physical and mental disability in Germany? With hindsight, would you like to apologise for the offence caused by these insensitive remarks?

I used a totally exaggerated example to really show how 2 sides can percieve someone with massive contrast. The wording is taken form a website that researched the history of Hitler, not my words, but if offensive I apologise.

As for Eastwood, do you truly believe that without Eastwood in our team at that time, we would have been promoted twice? Agreed, not really something to be discussed on a thread praising Tilly, but you mentioned him so thought I'd ask the question. It wasn't 6 years of success either, I wouldn't call relegation success. I'd say 3 years of success, 2 for the promotions and 1 for keeping us out of the conference, 2 years of failure for the relegations, and 1 year of mediocrity, the season in L1 we got into the play-offs. Thanks for not just totally name calling, I do reasoned debate you know.

Yet you've continued several times since posting this? Maybe time to withdraw from this one, and start a new thread? Especially ironic as you do seem to be the first to complain about posts being in the wrong forums.

*apologies Cricko, didn't see your post when I started this one*

Last edited:
Yet you've continued several times since posting this? Maybe time to withdraw from this one, and start a new thread? Especially ironic as you do seem to be the first to complain about posts being in the wrong forums.

*apologies Cricko, didn't see your post when I started this one*

I've said as much already.

No I'm not, I originally replied to Smiffy's post, he mentioned all the things Tilly had done apart from the relegations.....If you are gonna talk about everything Tilly has achieved, it needs to be balanced.

There is a time and a place for discussing the Pro's & Con's of Tilly's reign. But that is not when you are thinking of a message to put on a gift, to arguably the best manager we have ever had.

So you want the plaque to read. "Thanks for the 3 cup finals, league title, Play off semi, win over Man Ure, Draw at Chelsea etc..................But you also got us relegated twice?"

Last edited:
Back