• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

East Thurrock fc

My neighbour aged 80 was heart broken when East Thurrock became no more, it was his lifeline with friends on a Saturday, both home and away.

Glad to say it looks like East Thurrock will be a team again under a name like East Thurrock community fc, they have new backers and will have to start in the Olympian league next season, once ratified by the FA.
They do not have a ground, but he told me they can play at a school, as long as it has a rope around it to start with

We thought we had it bad, will be looking at their rise next season

Mick may know more .......

my most local team growing up. I was worried both teams I have scarves for were going to go bust this season, so be great if they can come back. I assume the owner wound them up to get building rights to their stadium ground. There's been talk of them playing at the Peg, any news on where they'll play? I've heard the Billet as well, which would be a shame as that's not walking distance

As there was no Southend, I went to Rookery Hill to watch Tilbury away there on Saturday (versus Romford who bizarrely play there now!?). Ground itself is still in good nick. A real shame that ETUFC are no more. I haven't read too much into their plight but it suggests another wideboy chairman who ultimately didn't give a rat's arse about them...

Last edited:
thanks for the update. you based round that way then?
I'm Basildon, but my elderly neighbour is a supporter through and through and we often talk about the two clubs plight
It was horrid to see him lost on a Saturday not having a club, they went to Grays and were made welcome ,but he said its not his club, so glad things are happening for him and the club
Like me sometimes the football comes second, its meeting old friends and talking about past people who are no longer here, that makes the day and if three points it tops off the day

East Thurrock: What Happened?​

Sept 5th 2023.
It was a sad day for non-league East Thurrock United, based in Corringham, Essex, as they have officially liquidated the first team.As a supporter of the club, it feels odd to be saying this... but the question you may be asking is, how did we even get here?

617747_1d862f8639f4408a9d32ddc629c8bbee~mv2.png

First, a bit of backstory. East Thurrock are team in Corringham, Essex, and have enjoyed some successful periods since their official formation in 1969. During the 2010s, East Thurrock were even able to reach the Vanarama Conference League South and the first round of the FA Cup on two occasions, where they played Macclesfield United at home in 2011 and Hartlepool United away in 2014 - massive moments for the club and the local area.

The club's owner at the time went by the name of Ben Bennett, who was popular with the fans and local community. Ben stepped in to save the club from a likely extinction some 20 years ago and East Thurrock enjoyed their most successful period under his ownership. Sadly, Ben Bennett passed away in late 2019, and with COVID-19 unknowingly approaching, new ownership was needed otherwise the club may have folded.

That's when Alfie Best stepped in. A seven figure deal to buy The Rocks was agreed and Alfie Best took full ownership of the club. 50-year old Best owns Wyldecrest Parks, a caravan park company, and claimed to be a big supporter of the local area.

617747_3d19a149a1e646049daca9e14bebbc89~mv2.png

With a net worth of a staggering £341m (as of 2020), the new owner looked to have saved the club and perhaps even take them to new heights with a proposed new stadium, at the Pegasus Club located near the current Rookery Hill stadium. Best announced the purchase of the Pegasus Club in Herd Lane, Corringham, on 23rd June 2022 - little over a year later, he would liquidate the first team.

Now, it was known within the fans that club finances were not great. However, the club were still afloat, and that's what mattered at the time. Going into the current 2023/24 season, there were rumours that the club would have to drop down to the Essex Senior League in order to survive, but the club continued with its' head held high in the Isthmian League North.

I would also like to point out that East Thurrock lost another very important member of the community and club - in fact, one of the founding members. Terry Keating, a very-well loved man and incredibly important to the club. Starting with a few friends in the late 60s and running the club until the late 90s. He would return to running the club approx 15 years later and even wrote a 450 page book on the entire club history, which can be read here.

Terry "Keato" Keating passed away peacefully on the morning of 8th June 2023, and is missed sorely by everyone who knew him.

A string of promises made by owner Alfie Best - all lies. In the initial statement confirming the liquidation, historical debts were mentioned. Now-former Chairman Steve Wiseman put out a statement, which has since been deleted, stating: "This is a personal statement from me (Steve Wiseman), we, I include some very close friends, volunteers who have come forward, all of our supporters, friends, families, just about everyone in the area. All of us have tried to keep this great local club playing football for our community, unfortunately we now find ourselves in a situation where we are unable to continue of function. I would like to point out that at this moment in time we do not owe anyone, indivdually or companies any monies. This liquidation has been upon us (verbally)."

All we can say as fans is that we cannot let Alfie Best get away with this. Whether or not this is true is unconfirmed, but rumours have it that Alfie intends to knock the stadium down in favour of putting a Wyldecrest caravan park upon it.

The future is unclear with us as East Thurrock fans, but we will not stand by as a Millionaire, who can very easily pay off these "historical debts" liquidate our football club.

Alfie Best is a regular in Private Eye.

Their reporting suggests he’s scammed more pensioners than Nile Ranger.

Spoke to my neighbour yesterday and asked about where they are looking to play , apparently old ground is now rented out to Romford and Pegasus club is owned by former chairman so that’s a no go.
They are looking at The Rec or one of the schools Gable Hall, Hassenbrook, St Claire’s
Seems old manager is now the Director of football there and his comments are getting a team and manager is the easy part, finding a ground in time once FA sanctioned will be the hardest to start for new season

Spoke to my neighbour yesterday and asked about where they are looking to play , apparently old ground is now rented out to Romford and Pegasus club is owned by former chairman so that’s a no go.
They are looking at The Rec or one of the schools Gable Hall, Hassenbrook, St Claire’s
Seems old manager is now the Director of football there and his comments are getting a team and manager is the easy part, finding a ground in time once FA sanctioned will be the hardest to start for new season
that Covo John Coventry?

Patently obvious from the outset that AB never had any intention of backing ETU and just wanted to gain the ground to transform into another caravan site. Those folk in ETU who decided to sell the entire set-up to AB were clearly deluded / far too easily duped and I would hope none of them have any part to play whatsoever with this new club.

i saw the piece on them in the echo today. now, i'm tempted to give them a bit of cash and become a part owner, but with me a Southend share owner does that make us into one of those multi club models like City? Should be alright until we're both in the Champions League I think, can anyone clarify?

Back