• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
Got my first pre-season for a few years under my belt today. Eastbourne is only 45 mins or so from home so I made the trip along with my daughter.

My first thoughts were I was amazed by big the squad were in terms of height. There are some decent sized players out there which I am guessing must be a plan from Sturrock to combat the kick and rush of league two.

I can only give a limited report of the game as I spent most it retreving my daughters lost shoes, trying to keep her entertained and generally making sure she was ok.

First half was pretty flat. Granty started well and looked the class act he always does, The defence looked solid enough. Evans worried me a bit when he spilled a fiarly routine shot and then made a slight mess of the rebound (He did however make a great save) later on.

Easton was neat, Soares looked good and put a few good balls in, Simpson (Who I am lead to believe has joined on loan until Jan) was tidy but ineffective. He is a quite small so I assume he is going to be creative as he wont be winning many tackles

Spencer looked decent and willing to shooy but his end product lacked. Howe looks like High Tower from the Police Accademy series and played like him too...totally useless.

5 mins before half time my daughter decided to have a pony in her nappy so I had to find the baby change facilites.As I walked round Barry Corr was warming up - Decided now was the time to introduce myself.

Corr was a really good guy and very chatty. He has missed a career as a politician as he sewerved every question that required a remotely controversial answer. He did however confirm that Bilal whatever he is called has real potential and the feeling around the club is that he could be the find of the season. He said there is a great spirit in the club and everyone there wants to be here. Corr said he had a choice of a lot of clubs but once sturrock called that was it.

He said Sturrock is very fair and the players love him. I asked if he had seen any of the outgoing players play. He said he had he felt Francis was excellent but he got a good mvoe and he felt Moussa "could pay a bit". He said Moussa was with the club for the first week but he told Corr himself he wanted out so I think the story about him wanting to stay was bollocks.

Finally we spoke about kids. Mrs Corr is in southend hospital today as the baby is due in a few weeks and Barry was a looking forward to that.

Second half I missed most of as my daughter decided to go for a stroll and I had to keep my eye on her. Patterson missed a good chance and Simpson tried to pass when a shot seemed on late on. Granty for a change had a fight and Corr hit a shot well over.

O Keefe I am told has left the club, Christophe will still train with us for a few weeks. Sturrock told someone near me more signings this week and embargo is being lifted this week.

At the end I hung around with a few of the lads. Had photos with my daughter and Sturrock, Bilal, Granty, Soares, Clohessy etc. All very likeable. Bit disapointed with Cloughlan as he walked down the tunnel pretending not to hear me ask for a photo I think.

Anyway all in cant judge much but we looked solid if unspectacualr.

Hello all :D
Sorry had problems with my 3g today,
Overall a good performance i would say, looked pretty Solid, Evans looked good in goal a made a fabulous save, shame about his goal kicks that kept going out for a throw though, The Goalscorer Mohsni looked quality all game, and scored a good header, he won every header that he went for, also Grant had a good game controlling the midfield and we look solid in the midfield, cant really comment on the players and dont really know who they are but the left back seemed a bit dodgy but made a few good tackles.
Attendance just over - 500
Would say about 40 Southend fans there, overall a half decent performance and a great day out i'll leave you with a memento from today ...
39216_457845360995_756155995_6739376_8131366_n.jpg

I could'nt post without it ;)

Jack :)

Got my first pre-season for a few years under my belt today. Eastbourne is only 45 mins or so from home so I made the trip along with my daughter.

My first thoughts were I was amazed by big the squad were in terms of height. There are some decent sized players out there which I am guessing must be a plan from Sturrock to combat the kick and rush of league two.

I can only give a limited report of the game as I spent most it retreving my daughters lost shoes, trying to keep her entertained and generally making sure she was ok.

First half was pretty flat. Granty started well and looked the class act he always does, The defence looked solid enough. Evans worried me a bit when he spilled a fiarly routine shot and then made a slight mess of the rebound (He did however make a great save) later on.

Easton was neat, Soares looked good and put a few good balls in, Simpson (Who I am lead to believe has joined on loan until Jan) was tidy but ineffective. He is a quite small so I assume he is going to be creative as he wont be winning many tackles

Spencer looked decent and willing to shooy but his end product lacked. Howe looks like High Tower from the Police Accademy series and played like him too...totally useless.

5 mins before half time my daughter decided to have a pony in her nappy so I had to find the baby change facilites.As I walked round Barry Corr was warming up - Decided now was the time to introduce myself.

Corr was a really good guy and very chatty. He has missed a career as a politician as he sewerved every question that required a remotely controversial answer. He did however confirm that Bilal whatever he is called has real potential and the feeling around the club is that he could be the find of the season. He said there is a great spirit in the club and everyone there wants to be here. Corr said he had a choice of a lot of clubs but once sturrock called that was it.

He said Sturrock is very fair and the players love him. I asked if he had seen any of the outgoing players play. He said he had he felt Francis was excellent but he got a good mvoe and he felt Moussa "could pay a bit". He said Moussa was with the club for the first week but he told Corr himself he wanted out so I think the story about him wanting to stay was bollocks.

Finally we spoke about kids. Mrs Corr is in southend hospital today as the baby is due in a few weeks and Barry was a looking forward to that.

Second half I missed most of as my daughter decided to go for a stroll and I had to keep my eye on her. Patterson missed a good chance and Simpson tried to pass when a shot seemed on late on. Granty for a change had a fight and Corr hit a shot well over.

O Keefe I am told has left the club, Christophe will still train with us for a few weeks. Sturrock told someone near me more signings this week and embargo is being lifted this week.

At the end I hung around with a few of the lads. Had photos with my daughter and Sturrock, Bilal, Granty, Soares, Clohessy etc. All very likeable. Bit disapointed with Cloughlan as he walked down the tunnel pretending not to hear me ask for a photo I think.

Thanks for this, especially the bits over than the game....

Coughlan should be ashamed... There's nothing more that winds me up is when you go away, and the players ignore you....ARRGGHHHHH

Overall a good performance i would say, looked pretty Solid, Evans looked good in goal a made a fabulous save, shame about his goal kicks that kept going out for a throw though, The Goalscorer Mohsni looked quality all game, and scored a good header, he won every header that he went for, also Grant had a good game controlling the midfield and we look solid in the midfield, cant really comment on the players and dont really know who they are but the left back seemed a bit dodgy but made a few good tackles.

Would say about 40 Southend fans there, overall a half decent performance and a great day out i'll leave you with a memento from today ...

Great flag Jack.

Hi Dave. Been having this strange disagreement on here about regular goal scorers. I'm saying we need one. Others are saying they are not so important. What's your view on what you have seen? We sound very solid at the back, and good in midfield, although a bit defensive. Can we score enough for promotion?

Hi Dave. Been having this strange disagreement on here about regular goal scorers. I'm saying we need one. Others are saying they are not so important. What's your view on what you have seen? We sound very solid at the back, and good in midfield, although a bit defensive. Can we score enough for promotion?

Morning mate.

Only seen one game and I only saw bits of that. Spencer looked like the pick of them, Howe held the bll up ok but looked so out of shape it was untrue, Patterson worked hard but could have done better with his one chance, Corr looked a bit poor but I think I think he had other stuff on his mind....

I would add I dont think strikers move until a little later in the season sometimes. Both Constantine and Eastwood joined us a few games in so maybe its not the end of the world.

I love to knock one out whilst looking at pictures of lower league stands,thanks you spoilt a great shuffle with that horrid flag of yours.

Ah ha, So it was you, Nice to meet you, I was they lady who gave you back your daughters wayward shoe :)
Wondered where you had gone for the second half !!!!!!!!

Ah ha, So it was you, Nice to meet you, I was they lady who gave you back your daughters wayward shoe :)
Wondered where you had gone for the second half !!!!!!!!

Ah nice to meet you and your husband (?)

Thanks for the kindness. we went to find baby changing and then the 2nd half started so decided to watch it from behind the goal.

Lovely to meet you

He has missed a career as a politician as he sewerved every question that required a remotely controversial answer.

Ha! What exactly did you ask him that required dodging!?

Corr said he had a choice of a lot of clubs but once sturrock called that was it.

Only bit I'd dispute, as Corr had agreed to come and play here for Tilson 3 weeks before he was sacked.

I said the following

* I dont think Howe is going to worry your chances of a first team start do you?
* Do you think you will start the season as first choice striker
* What are your thoughts on Ron Martin,
* who will be first choice keeper

Only bit I'd dispute, as Corr had agreed to come and play here for Tilson 3 weeks before he was sacked.

Can only go on what he said really. He said Sturrock was sole reason he chose here. Had offers from L1 but like all the players chance to work with sturrock again was too good to pass up.

I said the following

* I dont think Howe is going to worry your chances of a first team start do you?
* Do you think you will start the season as first choice striker
* What are your thoughts on Ron Martin,
* who will be first choice keeper

Can only go on what he said really. He said Sturrock was sole reason he chose here. Had offers from L1 but like all the players chance to work with sturrock again was too good to pass up.

Haha, wow, really put him on the spot then! Perhaps you should take over Scriven's job?

And yeah, understand that you can only go on wat he's said, that is fair enough. I'm just saying it's definitely not true, because Tilson contacted his agent in mid-May and Corr agreed to come here after speaking to Tilson. Still, I suppose if he wants to give the impression that team spirit is great and everybody has come to play for Sturrock, he would say what he said to you.

Haha, wow, really put him on the spot then! Perhaps you should take over Scriven's job?

And yeah, understand that you can only go on wat he's said, that is fair enough. I'm just saying it's definitely not true, because Tilson contacted his agent in mid-May and Corr agreed to come here after speaking to Tilson. Still, I suppose if he wants to give the impression that team spirit is great and everybody has come to play for Sturrock, he would say what he said to you.

Why can't both versions of events be true? It's more than feasible that, after Tilson was sacked, Corr's agent got to working and sorted deals for League One clubs but as soon as Sturrock got the nod, Corr knew he wanted to be here with him?

Haha. So what answers did he give to those questions, Dave? No comment!?

Anything player related = There all good players nothing to choose between them.
Anything finance related = Ron Martin seems a nice guy - sure the money will be sorted out.

In fairness he is not going to say anything else really.

Last edited:
It won't matter whose version is true because if he doesn't score 8 goals in his first game all the fans will hate him anyway.

Why can't both versions of events be true? It's more than feasible that, after Tilson was sacked, Corr's agent got to working and sorted deals for League One clubs but as soon as Sturrock got the nod, Corr knew he wanted to be here with him?

Maybe. Still makes his comment that he only came here because of Sturrock untrue though, because he had previously agreed to come here before because of somebody else.

Back