• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch Easter non-league refwatch ........ Wealdstone (H)

Mick

Life President
Our first match against Wealdstone was an away fixture in the FA Cup in 1979 at their Lower Mead ground, where they had played since 1922. It’s now a Tesco car park. A 1-0 victory was achieved despite the presence of Stuart Pearce in the Wealdstone line-up, with our goal scored by John Walker (his only one for us) who I believe is a current season-ticket holder at Roots Hall. That match was refereed by Ron Challis who had refereed the Cup Final the year before.

The second and only other previous match against them was early this season at the somewhat compact Grosvenor Vale and was a disappointing 0-0 draw refereed by a man we can safely say will never get near a Cup Final unless he pays to go in.

Well it’s Good Friday – do we get a good referee? I would say yes, probably. Tomorrow’s referee has multiple and diverse sporting interests and, fittingly, comes from Rugby. He is Jacob Miles and should not be found wanting for fitness – he is a marathon runner and triathlete. Three years ago, he was from the Brighton area and working as a Referee Administrator for Sussex FA, amongst other things. More recently he was in the running for the Milton Keynes referee of the year award (and may have won it for all I know). He also umpires tennis at the highest level, having worked at 18 Grand Slams world-wide and last year at Wimbledon he was a Chair Umpire (equivalent to a middle in football).

This is his second season as a National League Referee and this season’s 16 matches have seen just 40 yellows and 2 reds and include the 7-4 Cup win for Halifax and Wealdstone’s 3-2 win at Dover. More relevantly, he took charge of our televised Friday night match at Grimsby when a very early goal condemned us to a 1-0 defeat - yellows for Egbri and Ferguson and one of theirs. I thought he did very well. More recently, he refereed our home match against Solihull with rather more bookings – three for them and also Husin and Atkinson. Again, a good performance from the man in the middle.

He was also an Assistant for our 2-0 defeat at Portsmouth back in 2018/19.

Assistants are Alex Bradley from Woodingdean, near Brighton and Marc Meeten from Worthing. The latter was Assistant for the home game against Bromley and Fourth Official again at home against Altrincham and the former assisted at Eastleigh. Making his Southend debut, Joseph Gray from Thurrock will be standing by as Fourth Official.

What with the price of fuel, you'd expect these two to arrange to travel together, or are officials not allowed to do this?.

I'm sure whatever mileage rate they get covers even the current high cost of fuel. The problem with two or more officials travelling together is that travelling separately, if one doesn't make it, the other three can get by; if two or more go missing, there's a problem.

Just what we needed - a late change as the rather good Jacob Miles has been switched to Dagenham v Barnet and instead we have the card happy Tom Bishop.

Tom Bishop grew up and started his refereeing career in the Scunthorpe area but he has recently decamped to London – possibly for work, possibly just to get away from Scunthorpe.

Aged 29 and in his second year, he has refereed 24 matches at this level and shown a massive 115 yellow and 9 red cards, including a real purple (or should that be red) patch at the end of last season when he showed a Kettle-esque 6 red cards in 6 matches. One of those 6 was James Dunne when playing for Barnet at Bromley.

This season’s games include our away match at Solihull which produced a typical 7 yellows (Coulson, Sayers and Walsh and four of theirs).He’s had a 9, an 8, a couple of 7s and half a dozen 6s. I think it’s reasonable to suggest there’s nothing laissez-faire about his style.

All 3 of his previous Wealdstone matches have included a red card !

I'm sure whatever mileage rate they get covers even the current high cost of fuel. The problem with two or more officials travelling together is that travelling separately, if one doesn't make it, the other three can get by; if two or more go missing, there's a problem.

There’s been plenty that have gone missing despite getting to the stadium

Back