• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tangled up in Blue

Certified Senior Citizen⭐
Influx of 1.5m eastern Europeans means UK's lowest-paid workers are earning less now, report says

Jamie Doward, Home Affairs Editor The Observer, Sunday 17 January 2010 Article history
An "unprecedented" influx of some 1.5 million eastern European workers into the UK over the past six years is likely to have had a negative impact on the wages of the lowest-paid British workers, according to a major report ordered by the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC).

While the report, written by the Migration Policy Institute, claims the contribution of the new migrants to the UK's economy is "probably small but positive", it concludes that there is evidence that "the recent migration may have reduced wages slightly at the *bottom end of the labour market, especially for certain groups of vulnerable workers". It also claims there is a risk that the recent influx "could contribute to a 'low-skill equilibrium' in some economically depressed local areas".

The report estimates that about half of the 1.5 million eastern European workers who have come to the UK since it opened its borders to an expanded EU in 2004 have returned home, while most of the remainder have found themselves in unskilled occupations. The report claims that eastern European workers now constitute about half of all labour immigration to the UK.

While the number of eastern European workers entering the UK has been curtailed by the recession, experts believe it is likely this new form of economic immigration will have an enduring impact on the UK's jobs market.

About 95% of male eastern European migrants and 80% of females find work upon entering the UK and the report found evidence that during the recession their unemployment rates have remained significantly below that of British-born workers, often because they were paid considerably less and were seen as good employees willing to work hard. But this has led to concerns that they are allowing themselves to be exploited – with consequences for the job prospects and working conditions of UK-born workers as well.

"This report highlights the need to provide help for the most vulnerable, with evidence that many eastern European workers may be in precarious employment circumstances and suffering exploitation in some industries," said Andrea Murray, acting group director of strategy at the EHRC.

The report also acknowledges the use of eastern European labour to fill unskilled jobs may result in "a vicious circle in which employers fail to invest in increasing the skills in their workforce". It suggests if the trend continues it "runs the risk of perpetuating the existence of substantial numbers of temporary jobs with unsociable hours that are increasingly only attractive to migrant workers".

The report, which draws on independent research, official statistics, national insurance figures and labour force surveys, provides one of the most authoritative assessments of eastern European migration patterns in and out of the UK and is likely to be studied closely by politicians as the debate about immigration heats up in the weeks leading up to the general election

BBC News a few months back interviewed several youngsters outside Grays Jobcentre after the visit by Nick Griffin to the area and all the lads stated the local jobs in warehouses and the like were taken by immigrants.
Mind you , if you offered these lads a good job paying big dosh they looked the sort who wouldn't take any job, but it made a good report for the BBC.

BBC News a few months back interviewed several youngsters outside Grays Jobcentre after the visit by Nick Griffin to the area and all the lads stated the local jobs in warehouses and the like were taken by immigrants.
Mind you , if you offered these lads a good job paying big dosh they looked the sort who wouldn't take any job, but it made a good report for the BBC.

LOL Grays job centre!! What a place. I've never seen so much scum in one place at any one time.

Were they drinking cans of Super T, and smoking 'roll ups'?

Unfortunately i can't make this pic any bigger, but this is the typical scene outside there all day, every day

168x126-1911.jpg

So are we blaming the immigrants, the employers or the consumers for demanding cheap goods and services?

Just wanted to know before I paint my placard for the big protest march I assume is being organised?

Last edited:
So are we blaming the immigrants, the employers or the consumers for demanding cheap goods and services?

Just wanted to know before I paint my placard for the big protest march I assume is being organised?

Lol all of them really. WE wouldnt have teh good if there was no dmand then no workers to make teh crap . Too many people alive im anti human down with us all .. im going first ..... BANG

LOL Grays job centre!! What a place. I've never seen so much scum in one place at any one time.

Were they drinking cans of Super T, and smoking 'roll ups'?

Unfortunately i can't make this pic any bigger, but this is the typical scene outside there all day, every day

168x126-1911.jpg

They were sitting on the barriers in the picture. I was nearly sent there to work once.

Just to warn you all, the worst of the lot are invading our green and pleasant land this year. The Romanian's are coming, they have just been given clearance, God help us. This lot will have many ways of making a living from us, and none of it involves work.

Thats the oft refered to "black" economy . Desperate work force work for pittance , motivated by fear .
surely for accuracy, it should be the "dusky" economy if your going to throw round racist terms? after all, we're talking kosovans and albanians, not somalians.

surely for accuracy, it should be the "dusky" economy if your going to throw round racist terms? after all, we're talking kosovans and albanians, not somalians.

It's why i put it in the closet thing i though were quotation marks (which of course arnt ). And the history of said word is more to do with underground/subterranean and shadowy then a race issue :P.

Though there are a very large number of people from Africa also doing our lowest paid jobs.

That help

Last edited:
It's why i put it in the closet thing i though were quotation marks (which of course arnt ). And teh history of said word is more to do with underground and shady then a race issue :P. Though there are a very large number of people frmo Africa also proping up our lowest paid jobs.
I wish I understood that.

Back