• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Javea Shrimper

So, a nice sunny afternoon in Jávea was spent playing pool whilst keeping one eye on the blue ticker at the bottom of the TV screen for the latest news from Roots Hall. A third member of the Spanish Shrimpers (Costa Blanca Branch) was busy moving into a 4-0 lead (I am actually sh*te at pool) as we observed the names of both Drewe Broughton (Rushden) and Tes Bramble (Cambridge U) scroll up the screen. But nothing from Roots Hall.

Then, just as we were discussing the benefits / non-benefits of just a single point at home, up scrolls the following :

"Southend 1 Lincoln 0 (Fredy Eastwood 89pen)"

Pool cues were raised above heads with both hands and loud cheers interrupted the old bloke watching the England v Italy egg-chasing game on a TV screen in the other corner of the bar.

Then, just as we discussing the benefits (and ONLY the benefits) of all three points at home, up scrolls the following :

"Southend 0 Lincoln 1 (Ben Futcher 87)"

Cheering stops, pool cues clatter to the floor, eyebrows raised in confusion. Eh?!

Desperate text messages were sent to colleagues actually at the game. "What is the score?!" A couple of minutes later, up scrolls the following :

CORRECTION :
"Southend 1 Lincoln 1 (Fredy Eastwood 89pen)"

Confirmed.

Now, who sends the latest scores from Roots Hall to the central organisation that farms it out to Sky Sports, BBC, etc?! Because if we meet him, we'll going to tell him where to stick his correction very clearly!!

WS

Apparently BBC Teletext was the same here. A freind rang me last night to congratulate me on the win !!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for bringing this up! I couldn't go to the game so was watching the sky sports news and had the same jubilant reaction when it appeared we had scraped a last minute win. Only to be robbed of my enjoyment when we were then a goal down 2 minutes earlier
rock.gif

Its not the first time sky have cocked up, i remember earlier in the season i was a home game and got a text message from a mate saying Jupp had apparently been sent off for foul language when nothing of the sort had happened.

Must be a Borient fan controlling the scores:O

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Mar. 13 2005,12:59)]Think Wayne Gray also mysteriously got sent off earlier in the year too!
Yeah, that was Lincoln City back in August. Hmmm ... hang on ...

WS

Gower was reported as sent off in one of our early games as well.

I'm starting to think Stevie Wonder is the new Associated Press reporter these days!

Our PA reporter at Roots Hall is Paul Clark although I'd suggest it's the person he is reporting to in the office getting it wrong more than Clarky himself.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Mar. 13 2005,17:24)]Our PA reporter at Roots Hall is Paul Clark although I'd suggest it's the person he is reporting to in the office getting it wrong more than Clarky himself.
I never liked him in Big Brother OR when he visited our union.

Don't know what he saw in someone who thought chick peas were made out of chicken anyway......

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Colchester Shrimper @ Mar. 13 2005,20:48)]Apologies if already mentioned, but we actually had BBC Radio 5 reporter at the game (owing to lack of premier games).
How did he see the game? I nearly fainted when I realised that there was a reporter there, then I realised it meant we weren't going to win......

Back