• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bit of a strange one this as I'm not one for the "Player X is the new Player Y" arguments but I caught most of Football Years on Sky Three last night & it was the 81/82 season when Liverpool won the league (despite being 12th at Xmas) & the Milk Cup.

Anyway, this was Ian Rush's first full season at Anfield and they showed loads of his goals & it set me thinking (after having seen Sky's montage of recent Eastwood goals on FLR earlier) that as he can score so many different types of goals, we might just have the next Ian Rush on our hands.

Thoughts? Which famous striker who you've witnessed do you think our Fred most resembles in the way he plays?

FOOTNOTE: Loads of coverage of Ronnie Whelan too, back when he was a mobile 21 year-old! Some of his goals from midfield were really spectacular. Doesn't detract from the fact, he's now a fat washed-up sozzled hasbeen (in my opinion, legal bods!!!)

Surely the Henry of the lower leagues? hangs about on the left not looking like he's doing much, then suddenly scores a wonder goal? great eye for a pass too (on the rare occasions he decides to pass rather than beating 4 defenders and scoring into the bottom corner, bless him).

it was the ridiculous attempted chip from about 10 yards against Gills that sealed the deal for me. va va voom...

I was watching Arsenal the other night and said to my wife that Henry reminds me of Eastwood. Probably should have been the other way round.
biggrin.gif

Can definitely see where the Terry Henry comparisons come from, but you don't really tend to see Henry score goals like Fred did at Bournemouth though do you? That's why I thought Rushie.

He certainly does drift in from the wing to score special goals like TH though.

Sir Stanley. Both get the ball at their feet and then just run at people before unleashing a thunderbolt into the back of the net.

Freddy's goal at Barnsley was similar to one Stan scored at Oxford a few years back IIRC.

I reckon a croos between Henry and Rooney personally. Obviously I'm not saying he's as good as either but I can see a hell-of-a-lot of their game in his. Probably swaying more towards Henry.

He immediately struck me as being similar to Bergkamp when I first saw him, in the sense that he loves to drop deep and then play from there. I see him as being that kind of striker rather than your out-and-out goalscorer. Like Henry, hhilst he gets the occasional tap in (Bournemouth, the Play-Offs), he scores the majority of his goals by simply being much, much better than everyone else on the pitch. I'm not convinced that he's a Rush-style natural goalscorer.

According to some of my fellow drinkers from the spread freddy plays in a simliar manner to that of McNasty in his youth

hmm...dont see how eastwood can remind people of rooney! eastwood is a more lightweight striker whereas rooney isnt afraid to get stuck into the tackles and help his defence out. personally my choice is that he reminds me of henry.

Oh ye, and you heard it here first - if henry signs a contract extension for arsenal, eastwood will go to barcelona!
tounge.gif

I surely hope our Fred isn't like Rooney, dont need our star man building up big gambling debts and visiting horrible old Basildon brass knocking shops !!

No one has mentioned a Defoe similarity

eastwood reminds me of no-one, some of his goals are truly unique. So for me eastwood is eastwood!

THERES ONLY 1 FREDDY EASTWOOD remember
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Back