• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Quote in todays Echo from Freddy after scoring the winner v Gt Wakering

"I felt good after coming on and would say I'm already fitter than at any stage last season."

Whilst that bodes well for the coming season, if he can be fitter on the 5th July after 1 weeks training and 45 minutes football that AT ANY STAGE in the whole of last season, then perhaps that shows Sturrock was right to leave him out and that Freddy actually wasn't fit - at all fit actually - despite his claims to the contrary.

Freddy wasn't fit, he'd had an operation that took a while to recover from. He definitely looked a lot leaner and moved more easily on Saturday. People will still say he is fatter than most purely because he's quite barrel-chested, and his gait is different from those who look more natural athletes.

Was chatting to him after the game on Saturday. He's got a big chest but certainly not a big tummy. Looks in great shape, maybe his best since 2005-06.

Yes, I agree. He has a large rib cage but it is not fat. It is very good to hear Frederico being so positive.

As to Sturrock leaving him out of the first XI ........ hhhhmmmm. That's one to think about.

It's chicken and egg time - player not match fit and so not getting match time and so player not match fit. The player is responsible for his own fitness and attitude but it is the role of the manager to break that cycle through "man management" (or other nauseating terms), isn't it? :unsure:

"I felt good after coming on and would say I'm already fitter than at any stage last season."

Whilst that bodes well for the coming season, if he can be fitter on the 5th July after 1 weeks training and 45 minutes football that AT ANY STAGE in the whole of last season, then perhaps that shows Sturrock was right to leave him out and that Freddy actually wasn't fit - at all fit actually - despite his claims to the contrary.

yes I picked up on that at the time as well . It did make me smile . I don't know what went on with him and Sturrock but I do know that when he played he did not IMO look fit , and therefore I understand why he didn't play . I would expect that next to Eastwood, Sturrock was the next most frustrated man, knowing he had a quality player, but not being able to use him because of fitness issues. Players always like to use excuses 'the manager doesn't like me' . Maybe I'm stupid but I would like to think that a decent manager is big enough to play the best team , regardless of whether he 'likes' the player.

As I said maybe I am being naive , then again maybe we should remember when Freddie told us he was fit last year , and then we saw on the pitch what he meant by fit
blush%20new%20sept%202010.gif

I hope he is truly fit, and I hope he becomes a Southend Legend again

I said this all last season but was drowned out by conspiracy theories about Luggy refusing to play Freddy because he supposedly 'wasn't his signing' despite, as Kay rightly says, he had a knee op last summer and struggled to recover sufficiently to play 90 minutes.

Admittedly Freddy was a tad unlucky as we had no reserve team and that hampered every player returning from injury, but to me he looked unfit and when he did play he wore a knee support on several occasions to get him through games. Luggy said he only trained sporadically due to his knee niggles and obviously that was detrimental to him being fully match fit; one wonders, however, if he was determined enough to overcome the problem.

Regardless, that's in the past. Let's hope Freddy can do the business this time around.

Yes, I agree. He has a large rib cage but it is not fat. It is very good to hear Frederico being so positive.

As to Sturrock leaving him out of the first XI ........ hhhhmmmm. That's one to think about.

It's chicken and egg time - player not match fit and so not getting match time and so player not match fit. The player is responsible for his own fitness and attitude but it is the role of the manager to break that cycle through "man management" (or other nauseating terms), isn't it? :unsure:

Of course, but my point is that Freddie thinks he's fitter than at any stage last season after just a few days work and 45 minutes of football.

His knee op did hold him back, certainly, but he did play some games and had ample chance to get fit, albeit later than some others. Therefore his comment that he's already fitter than last year shows just how unfit he was.

He's probably been doing some fitness work during the break, I'd doubt he's been sat in a chair doing nothing the entire time and only started training when they came back a few days ago.

If he's been injured during last season why can't he already be fitter than any point during?

Of course, but my point is that Freddie thinks he's fitter than at any stage last season after just a few days work and 45 minutes of football.

His knee op did hold him back, certainly, but he did play some games and had ample chance to get fit, albeit later than some others. Therefore his comment that he's already fitter than last year shows just how unfit he was.

Isn't the point that it has not been a few days work? That he has worked through the Summer in the gym?

Last edited:
Isn't the point that it has not been a few days work? That has worked through the Summer in the gym?
He was down David Lloyd more or less everyday running ,on the bike etc.He definately seemed like he was up for the new season.

he didint give a ***** last season sturrock did not like him under brown he feels a important player therefore hes working hard and lookin in shape and ENJOYING himself.

I wouldn't mind he go out in Wickford having fun, only after he help us to win a game!! Nothing beat going out partying with my polish gf & mates after SUFC win ;) always feel good!

Was at Wakering game Saturday, Eastwood was warming up about 3 feet from me, he is definitely not over weight and looked really trim and fit. Bodes well for next season, looked sharp on the pitch as well :smile:

Back