• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is it right to eat unpaid for goods in Supermarkets

• Total voters

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
Following on from the "Disgusting" thread, and hearing a bit of a debate on Essex FM yesterday morning, I wonder what are your feelings on the subject of eating food from your trolley in a supermarket before you've paid for it?

So many listeners phoned in and said they regularly give their child a packet of crisps from out of a multi bag or a banana from in their trolley and seemed to see nothing wrong with this. Su Harrison was arguing that this is just poor parenting skills, and I have to agree with her. Children need to learn that they don't automatically get given food when they're going around a supermarket, or if they do honestly need it, then be prepared and bring something from home - a little pot of breadsticks or raisins, it's not rocket science.

I can understand that the theory behind the crisps is ok, you're still paying for the whole bag of crisps, but a banana? Surely that's in effect stealing as fruit and veg are sold by weight, and you can't weigh an empty banana skin to give an accurate valuation on the price.

The only one I had problems with was french sticks - it was impossible to stop them nibbling the end of it before we got to the checkout, but then can't blame them for that when they smell so good! Again, though, that's sold by item not weight, so no harm done in effect. I've seen people (adults!) taking cans out of packs of coke and drinking them, opening biscuits and all sorts, surely it's not difficult to exercise a bit of restraint?

It's something I have often wondered about and really bugs the hell out of me. It's not only parents letting kids munch from a pack of crisps, piece of fruit or choccy bar etc, it is also adults I've seen people eating a sandwich from a pack or doughnuts & cakes. How they explain this away at the checkout is beyond me.

You're of my way of thinking then, I don't know how to do polls, could someone stick one on this for me please - can be anonymous, very simply - is it wrong or not?

You're of my way of thinking then, I don't know how to do polls, could someone stick one on this for me please - can be anonymous, very simply - is it wrong or not?

Done.....Ops but it isn't anonymous..

See now young Liam, I think that's because you're young, I know people try grapes to see how sweet they are. So their hands have been rummaging through several bags of grapes and who knows where they've been before that. It's not just wrong in principle but the hygiene issue as well.

Yeah, my heart is bleeding for the poor supermarkets and their multi-billion pound profits.

Having shared parenting & raising twins in amongst my 4 kids; I cannot see a problem with buying a 'snack' before the shopping trip or even buying, for instance, a banana first and then letting the child eat it while you do a 'big' shop.

Guidelines for this should come from the stores themselves.....

Dash

Having shared parenting & raising twins in amongst my 4 kids; I cannot see a problem with buying a 'snack' before the shopping trip or even buying, for instance, a banana first and then letting the child eat it while you do a 'big' shop.

Guidelines for this should come from the stores themselves.....

Dash

Exactly Dash, you're prepared for it first by buying the goods first, same as I was by bringing food from home. It's the people that pick up a bunch of bananas, take one off and give it to the child BEFORE they've paid.

Yeah, my heart is bleeding for the poor supermarkets and their multi-billion pound profits.

I hate Tescos with a passion, and they are rapidly becoming the worst sort of arrogant we know best multi-national bully boys. But taking something from someone just because they have a lot is just as wrong as nicking a homeless person's last can of white lightning. And where I think Kay has a particularly good point is in what it teaches our kids.

smiley%20-%20bandit.bmp

It is hard when you have a shop to do and a small child to keep entertained and I guess this is why some parents resort to giving them a sneaky bag of crisps or sweets. However, if you plan you can take snacks with you and then there's no issue, although I do admit one time the checkout girl looked at me a bit funny as she saw my daughter had a box of raisins but the multipack Id bought was still sealed up!

If I get to Tesco to doa big shop and I have not had lunch and am starving, or very thirsty, then I go to the sandwich bit at the entrance, go and pay for whatever I want at self service, and then begin my shop, and eat my sandwich.

This way I have my receipt with me, so that if I was asked, I could provide proof that I had purchased the item I was consuming

If I get to Tesco to doa big shop and I have not had lunch and am starving, or very thirsty, then I go to the sandwich bit at the entrance, go and pay for whatever I want at self service, and then begin my shop, and eat my sandwich.

This way I have my receipt with me, so that if I was asked, I could provide proof that I had purchased the item I was consuming

That's absolutely fair enough, but hardly ideal for your digestive processes!

So if like in Waitrose you can weigh your own veg/fruit in the fruit & veg section and place a sticker on the bag, then you chose to eat some fruit/veg can that be considered theft?

My opinion depends on the circumstances, my wife suffered badly with morning sickness and the only way she could suppress the feeling of wanting to vomit would be to eat something like a ready salted crisps. Also if you have bought food for a toddler in the shoppers restaurant but unfortunately the toddler is taking an age to eat it and you need to get the shopping done as you have to pick up the other child from school, surely it is ok to put the toddler in the trolley whilst you feed them the rest of the food? Or if you happen to be diabetic and suddenly your blood sugar drops and you need to eat something why can you not take something from your trolley to stabilise yourselves and present the packaging at the checkout so you can pay for the consumption?

Regarding brining food with you, who does this satisfy, as Joe Public unless they have stalking said you, how would they know where the food was purchased? And you would be treated with disdain for allowing your child to eat whilst shopping.

Of course as for adults and older children, they should be able to complete a shopping trip with out needing to eat, however why should we judge people when we do not know the whole story behind the situation!

So for the above reasons I feel it is ok to eating whilst shopping as long as you pay at the end.

Why not give the kids something to chomp before going in to a supermarket? It's hardly brain-taxing, is it?

I for one see no problem with it as long as you pay for it... If you have every intention of paying for it, and are either hungry or thirsty, then why shouldn't you pick at the grapes or have a packet of crisps?

Back