• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ebook Libraries - great for those who enjoy reading

Hotman

reason, honour, integrity
I've ordered one of those new ebook readers which is coming tomorrow, and have been doing some research on where to buy ebooks.

It appears that there are "libraries" where you can check out ebooks and hire them for 21 days - just like a real library, but over the net. They are DRM protected so expire after this period for someone else to hire.

Essex has its own one - essex.bookaisle.com - there are other public ones, and you can join some american ones for a token fee.

Great news, and far easier / cheaper / more hygenic than using a public library or sharing books...

I've ordered one of those new ebook readers which is coming tomorrow, and have been doing some research on where to buy ebooks.

It appears that there are "libraries" where you can check out ebooks and hire them for 21 days - just like a real library, but over the net. They are DRM protected so expire after this period for someone else to hire.

Essex has its own one - essex.bookaisle.com - there are other public ones, and you can join some american ones for a token fee.

Great news, and far easier / cheaper / more hygenic than using a public library or sharing books...

What one did you go for? I was going to get one of these at Christmas but a friend got the Sony one and it doesnt have a backlight which makes reading in bed a pain.
I subsequently discovered you can get an app to convert your iphone into a book reader, so I got that. Havent tried a whole book yet but imagine it will be a bit small.

Ordered the Sony one, correct it doesn't have a light, but you can buy a clip on light for about a tenner. to be honest the lack of backlight was the selling point for me, I;ve tried ebooks on PDA's and they give me a headache.

Am interested in how you find these.

It sounds a bit gimmicky to me, but I use my library loads and other than the *******s shutting because of a bit of snow on Monday, I think the library service is fantastic. If for example I want to get hold of a copy of a random book like Football Fables by Iain Mackintosh (whoever he is), I can order it on-line and will get an e-mail to tell me when it is available for collection. Apparently there are 20 copies of that book in the London library system, and only about 4 of them are out on loan, which suggests it isn't that popular and the library have overstocked it.

Apparently there are 20 copies of that book in the London library system, and only about 4 of them are out on loan, which suggests it isn't that popular and the library have overstocked it.

Not true at all YB. Ive got all 4. A table in the dining room was a bit low and we had a few friends round for dinner. These were exactly the right size to level it up with the other table.

Not true at all YB. Ive got all 4. A table in the dining room was a bit low and we had a few friends round for dinner. These were exactly the right size to level it up with the other table.

It also makes the most excellent firelighter, I sometimes just burn a few copies because I find fire so hypnotic

It sounds a bit gimmicky to me, but I use my library loads and other than the *******s shutting because of a bit of snow on Monday, I think the library service is fantastic. If for example I want to get hold of a copy of a random book like Football Fables by Iain Mackintosh (whoever he is), I can order it on-line and will get an e-mail to tell me when it is available for collection. Apparently there are 20 copies of that book in the London library system, and only about 4 of them are out on loan, which suggests it isn't that popular and the library have overstocked it.

One was taken out of circulation because some idiot had defaced the author's picture and written rude things about Barry Fry.

Let us know what its like when it arrives Carl, i'm still thinking about it and expect the iphone screen to be just too small.

I've found Football Fables comes in very handy for blocking out that nasty breeze that comes in under the door. Get three of them and wedge the ****ers under the doorframe.

Let us know what its like when it arrives Carl, i'm still thinking about it and expect the iphone screen to be just too small.

Have got it now, feels very good quality (just like my old sony mp3 player, brushed steel effect) - will let you know how I get on with it after reading on it for a while.

The size is like a thin paperback book , but it is heavier

ps if you get one go to Comet - Waterstones have put the price up by £25 to 225

This might sound like a stupid question, but are there any issues surrounding compatibility, like the Ipod? Or will any download work on any device?

This might sound like a stupid question, but are there any issues surrounding compatibility, like the Ipod? Or will any download work on any device?

Not sure. The application I got for the iphone is called stanza, its free so nothing to lose if you try it

Be interested to find out. I've been thinking about getting one of these ever since I saw someone with one on the train.

Introducing The Book!
resserver.php

It's Light!
It's Pocket sized!
Fully Interactive!
And it has a start up time of approximately 0 seconds using the unique Bookmark system! (sold seperately)

;)

Ok, have used it for an hour or so this morning and a bit last night.

To be fair, it's exceeded my expectation! I heard pdf's were formatted badly, but the couple I've tried have been fine (although a "page" on a pdf is sometimes 2 on the reader).

Really easy to read, much better than on my pocket pc or laptop. Don't get a headache either.

Battery life seems to be good so far.

Introducing The Book!
resserver.php

It's Light!
It's Pocket sized!
Fully Interactive!
And it has a start up time of approximately 0 seconds using the unique Bookmark system! (sold seperately)

;)

Yeah, but is it available in English?

Back