• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Eddie Firmani

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
When I first started watching Southend Eddie Firmani was one of my early favourites (he still is). Although he only managed two years with the Club he was a pleasure to watch, not only with his scoring talents but also with his footballing brain, a very intelligent footballer with 55 appearances and 24 goals. When I look back now at the man's career you wonder how a Club like Southend Utd could ever have attracted such a signing. It's still a mystery to me but I'm glad I was around to see him play. I came across this article recently by chance and it charts a career of a class player over many clubs and countries. I doubt we could attract a player of his calibre now (understatement).

THE BRITISH TRANSFER RECORD BREAKERS – EDDIE FIRMANI | Read The League

Total class Eddie. I gather he wasn't quite as vigorous in his efforts away from home and the vast majority of goals were at Roots Hall. To be fair he wasn't all that vigorous at home either so doubt there would be any place for him in the modern game. Fantastic skillful player who played in what looked like hobnail boots. Not sure if they were to protect some ankle injury but totally at odds with the usual lightweight under ankle boot.

Firmani was just before my time. My Dad, who was quite critical of players generally, didnt rate him; perhaps his expectations were too high of the player. He was certainly a big hit at Charlton before he joined us and his stats were good.

Went to many away matches in 65/66 and you would hardly know he was playing. A 4-0 defeat at Swindon was particularly galling and the next home game against Gillingham of course he got a hat trick!

Went to many away matches in 65/66 and you would hardly know he was playing. A 4-0 defeat at Swindon was particularly galling and the next home game against Gillingham of course he got a hat trick!
Back in the day, being 16 years young, I couldn't afford to go to away games so my only memories are of the home games, and those memories are still good today.

After that Easter win, because of injury ,he only played in 4 of the remaining 11 Div 3 matches that led to relegation . I was at 3 of the 6 away games. Maybe unfit, he was definitely below par in the Gillingham return (0-1) and at Mansfield (0-2,Peter Morris 2).
I can say however that with no great size and ,by the time he joined us, no speed at all,Eddie Firmani was the most skilful player that I’ve seen for us in my 65 years of support. Most of Ray Smith’s 30 goals in those 2 seasons were Firmani “assists”.

After that Easter win, because of injury ,he only played in 4 of the remaining 11 Div 3 matches that led to relegation . I was at 3 of the 6 away games. Maybe unfit, he was definitely below par in the Gillingham return (0-1) and at Mansfield (0-2,Peter Morris 2).
I can say however that with no great size and ,by the time he joined us, no speed at all,Eddie Firmani was the most skilful player that I’ve seen for us in my 65 years of support. Most of Ray Smith’s 30 goals in those 2 seasons were Firmani “assists”.
That's another great name from the past. If I remember correctly he had a seriously misshapen hooter, caused by sticking it in where it hurts.

That hat trick against Gillingham was my first League game at Roots Hall and is partially to blame for all that I've suffered since. To be fair, I've been twice as evil as my Dad and passed the bug onto both of my sons... :Smile:

Eddie Firmani was not just a great player but a fantastic man to boot, an absolute gentleman. Happy days back in the summer of 66 having not long left school my mate Terry and I would often go over to Priory Park/Victory Sports to see the team train and after training we would often clean Eddie's big blue Mercedes back at Roots Hall, fantastic memories for sure even though we had just been relegated. Fast forward some 12 years later I was a guest of Bill Garner (I was working for Bill in his trophy business in Rochford at that time) at the Chelsea v New York Cosmos match and the first person I saw on arrival at Stamford Bridge was none other than Eddie who was the Cosmos manager at that time "Hello Nobbler" he said and after a quick chat Eddie promptly gave me His NYC lapel badge something I treasure to this very day. Lovely man was Eddie that's for sure.

Eddie Firmani was one of the most skillful Centre Forwards I've ever seen play for the Blues since I started following the Blues.
He didn't waste energy chasing down unlikely causes but Boy was he a graceful and deadly finisher on his day.
I remember one dismal dark dank freezing cold Monday Night when 6,000 of us turned out to watch a match which was not particularly significant (v Brentford I think)
I reckon 5,000 of us attended cos Firmani was playing
What a guy

That's another great name from the past.Ray Smith. If I remember correctly he had a seriously misshapen hooter, caused by sticking it in where it hurts.

One of two players Alf Smirk told me should have still been playing Borough Comb. football-the other was Bobby Kellard.Can't be right about everything I suppose. :Winking:

One of two players Alf Smirk told me should have still been playing Borough Comb. football-the other was Bobby Kellard.Can't be right about everything I suppose. :Winking:

Other than knowing the way to the bar, I'm not sure he was right about much at all. 1619730199322.png

Back on topic, I'd echo all the previous comments about Eddie Firmani. so skilful and in the all-time top 2 or 3 players to grace Roots Hall in Southend colours.

Before I found my own footballing personality I used to watch Spurs with my Dad and when Clayton signed for Southend I just couldn't believe that an ex Spurs Div 1 regular was signing for us.

Not so regular but certainly a big name.Always wondered how RobNoxious felt about being taken to see EC's (and his) first game at the Hall in that great 7-0 win over Workington.Possibly me and my other brother G set the bar a little high. :Winking:

Back