• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dan Jennings

Hi,

I write for the Wrexham FC programme, the Red Dragon.

I'm just putting a short tribute piece together about Eddie May for this Saturday's programme and wondered if anyone has any memories of his time at Southend United they'd like to share. If so, let me know on this thread please.

Thanks a lot,

Dan

I never saw him play as he left Southend just before I started watching.However my Father rated Eddie and felt he was a big loss to our side when he left for North Wales, which we struggled for some years to remedy.Knowing my old Man is never one to give praise lightly, I know that Eddie must have been a good footballer!...Regards Graeme Yetts

According to sufcdb he joined us in 1965 from Dagenham and played 113 games and scored 3 goals before leaving for Wrexham in June 1968, following Alvan Williams to Wrexham. I recall him as a big centre half who took no prisoners, and a very good defender a division 4 level.

He probably had the best of his career at Wrexham where they enjoyed some success in rising to Division 2 (CCC now) and playing for them in the cup winners cup with some success.

"MeanBrit" tells a nice story about Eddie on the Shrimper@yahoo.com list.When Eddie first came into the side in 65/6 (our first ever relegation season)he was prone to giving away quite a few own goals.Whenever an opposition player scored an own goal in front of the Pak in the North Bank they'd all chant: "He's got the May disease.He's got the May disease." Eddie blushed when he heard it apparently.:smile:

Last edited:
Saw his debut at a very wet Colchester when he played left back, standing in for John Neal. It was not a success ! He played a second game there and then dropped out of the side only to resurface some months later at centre half where he was more comfortable and became an effective (rather than good) player. He did indeed score more than his share of ogs, but none as spectacular as Lou Costello's a couple of years earlier.

According to sufcdb he joined us in 1965 from Dagenham and played 113 games and scored 3 goals before leaving for Wrexham in June 1968, following Alvan Williams to Wrexham. I recall him as a big centre half who took no prisoners, and a very good defender a division 4 level.

He probably had the best of his career at Wrexham where they enjoyed some success in rising to Division 2 (CCC now) and playing for them in the cup winners cup with some success.
As he said, big man, huge heart, RIP Eddie.

This is my first post and saw the sad news about Eddie May on BBC website on way home from Oxford.

As stated a big no nonsense centre half who was missed when he left.

My thoughts are with his family.

remember him well, unbeatable in the air, but not too quick! Remember all our half back line of Slack, May and Beanland scoring in one match - 4-0 v Aldershot. Also saw him at the end of his career playing for Swansea away at Halifax. Near the end he scored a sensational own goal, slicing it in from around the penalty spot with no one anywhere near. I liked Eddie May. RIP

Back