• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Education Outcomes - A New Study

Neil_F

Coach
There is a fascinating new report investigating education outcomes as a function of a number of variables. You can find the full report here.

I haven't read the full thing but I have looked at the section on per pupil funding. The report finds that there is no correlation between pupil funding and pupil outcome. The report says:

the level of funding, per se, is almost irrelevant as a predictor of performance.

As well as:

As funding and performance do not appear to be correlated in 2010-11, in our view, this suggests that the funding may not be improving performance as intended.

The final conclusion is this:

extra funding alone does not correlate with better (or worse) performance. There is no guarantee that providing more resources to schools will improve performance. For a given level of per pupil funding, there is no way of predicting accurately what performance will be;

I know that the contributors to this forum are great supporters of evidenced based policy rather than "ideology". I presume therefore all will now be opposed to the pupil premium and any increases in education spending?

I think a little respect for the profession from the Secretary of State for education may go a little way in improving education in this country. To be a good teacher you need to be 'firm but fair', Gove could do with taking this on board.

Have any teachers in history ever liked the sec of state for education? Seems all they ever want to do is moan.

Have any teachers in history ever liked the sec of state for education? Seems all they ever want to do is moan.

I like the idea of a Royal College of Teachers or similar. I guess a SoSfE is always going to be too political, and if possible as much politics as possible should be removed from education. Many teachers do like to moan, however they are equally given quite a lot to moan about ;)

This suggests to me that Academies aren't needed. If the level of funding doesn't make any difference presumably what the money is spent on doesn't make any difference either. In which case there's no need to put the school in control of its spending...because it seems it makes no difference.

Back