• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News EFL chairmen fear clubs will go bust after return of fans is delayed

Saw this quote in another news outlet too and must say I'm disappointed in Dyche here. The top 6 are multicentimillion pound generating businesses and whilst every other team in the Prem may not generate similar revenues, they do get a fair share of the biggest cash injection English football regularly receives. It's not out of the minds of most members of this forum that Burnley, Wolves, Brighton, Sheffield United, Leeds were once regularly Div 3/4 teams so it's rather disingenuous to compare football teams (that ultimately do have to operate as businesses) to major financial institutions like hedge funds and then forget about the major cultural and social impacts football clubs have on their local areas too.

Yes I always saw Sean as quite a humble down to earth kinda guy but this sounds very elitist to me.

At PMQ's today various MP's were requesting payments for football clubs in their constituencies, Mansfield, Norwich and Kings Lynn.They were told that the Sports Minister is in consultation with the various bodies. At least it seems that the issue is being debated as football clubs are a major part of the identity of the town. Hopefully, Duddridge and Amess our local MP's will speak up on behalf of Southend United.
As per my post on another thread a number of L1/L2 clubs happily are in marginal constituencies- particularly gov held and in "red wall" seats with small majorities. Norwich and Mansfield being perfect examples.

Ref Duddridge and Amess they are probably more in the category of thinking they have a seat for life. So will probably need particular prodding- what is the best way of doing that? Through the Shrimpers Trust?

What I don't get is that I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that the PL make so much money from sponsorship and worldwide TV that their ticket sales are insignificant. Assuming that is the case then how can they claim they need a bail out because of a lack of ticket sales?

If I were the government I would tell them that they will get nothing and just bail out the EFL.

The EPL's Chinese deal has been binned and the new one is about a tenth of the previous deal.

As per my post on another thread a number of L1/L2 clubs happily are in marginal constituencies- particularly gov held and in "red wall" seats with small majorities. Norwich and Mansfield being perfect examples.

Are Norwich back in L1?

Ref Duddridge and Amess they are probably more in the category of thinking they have a seat for life. So will probably need particular prodding- what is the best way of doing that? Through the Shrimpers Trust?
So it wasn't this photo op that kept Rochford and Southend East from turning red???

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 66
Sean Dyche is talking nonsense in comparing sporting competition to normal business competition. The wellbeing of Toyota doesn't depend on the wellbeing of Peugeot. Toyota would make more money if all their competitors went bust. In competitive sport you need your opponents to be successful. Professional Football is a business, but first and foremost it is a community activity. A community of clubs.

Saw this quote in another news outlet too and must say I'm disappointed in Dyche here. The top 6 are multicentimillion pound generating businesses and whilst every other team in the Prem may not generate similar revenues, they do get a fair share of the biggest cash injection English football regularly receives. It's not out of the minds of most members of this forum that Burnley, Wolves, Brighton, Sheffield United, Leeds were once regularly Div 3/4 teams so it's rather disingenuous to compare football teams (that ultimately do have to operate as businesses) to major financial institutions like hedge funds and then forget about the major cultural and social impacts football clubs have on their local areas too.

Sean Dyche's comments were not only insensitive, they were a really poor analogy.

On top of that he looks like the sort of bloke who would make a really big deal about refusing you entry to a nightclub for wearing trainers.

Can't honestly see how most L1 / L2 / NL clubs can survive with no gate money for another 6 months unless there is a decent bail-out from the government. And if there is, how is it structured? A 'big' club in L1 is going to have a far bigger budget than say Accrington Stanley, but is it fair to pay one club more than another of tax payers money just because they signed more expensive players? Equally the 'smaller' club shouldn't be allowed to profit from the situation. To be honest im in the Sweden camp with all this, have been since the start. Protect the elderly & infirm, and let the rest of us live a normal life if we want to. Including going to football, bars and other 'crowd' based activities. Yes we'll have more infections & deaths, but its at our own risk and will get us to heard immunity a lot quicker. Life needs to go on or the fallout will be worse than the virus. I accept i'm in the minority with that view!

Can't honestly see how most L1 / L2 / NL clubs can survive with no gate money for another 6 months unless there is a decent bail-out from the government. And if there is, how is it structured? A 'big' club in L1 is going to have a far bigger budget than say Accrington Stanley, but is it fair to pay one club more than another of tax payers money just because they signed more expensive players? Equally the 'smaller' club shouldn't be allowed to profit from the situation. To be honest im in the Sweden camp with all this, have been since the start. Protect the elderly & infirm, and let the rest of us live a normal life if we want to. Including going to football, bars and other 'crowd' based activities. Yes we'll have more infections & deaths, but its at our own risk and will get us to heard immunity a lot quicker. Life needs to go on or the fallout will be worse than the virus. I accept i'm in the minority with that view!
What is saw suggested was replacing lost money from attendances. Actually that reflects most accurately what individual clubs are losing out. So in this case sensible and to be welcomed if true.

Indeed, but my understanding is that ticket sales were insignificant before the China deal.

Match day revenue is more than just ticket sales. It's also merchandise sales, food and drink sales, hospitality sales.

Just look at how desperate the likes of Arsenal and Spurs were to move to a new stadium, even Championship clubs like W*** H**. It might not be as much as TV revenue but it is definitely not insignificant otherwise why would all those clubs be looking to move/upgrade?

Match day revenue is more than just ticket sales. It's also merchandise sales, food and drink sales, hospitality sales.

Just look at how desperate the likes of Arsenal and Spurs were to move to a new stadium, even Championship clubs like W*** H**. It might not be as much as TV revenue but it is definitely not insignificant otherwise why would all those clubs be looking to move/upgrade?
Yep live fans are still a significant source of revenue for premier league sides and it's actually the biggest clubs who rely on live fans the most in the premier league. Arsenal's turnover in their 2018 accounts was just over £400m, £99m of that came from matchday attendances. Whilst their TV money came to £180m that's still a very significant amount of money that Arsenal will be losing out on if the whole season is played behind closed doors. Meanwhile Burnley are barely impacted by this, only £6m (plus £3m in catering) comes from matchday income compared to £122m in TV rights.

Yep live fans are still a significant source of revenue for premier league sides and it's actually the biggest clubs who rely on live fans the most in the premier league. Arsenal's turnover in their 2018 accounts was just over £400m, £99m of that came from matchday attendances. Whilst their TV money came to £180m that's still a very significant amount of money that Arsenal will be losing out on if the whole season is played behind closed doors. Meanwhile Burnley are barely impacted by this, only £6m (plus £3m in catering) comes from matchday income compared to £122m in TV rights.

That burnley figure tells you all you need to know about how wrong football has become...

At PMQ's today various MP's were requesting payments for football clubs in their constituencies, Mansfield, Norwich and Kings Lynn.They were told that the Sports Minister is in consultation with the various bodies. At least it seems that the issue is being debated as football clubs are a major part of the identity of the town. Hopefully, Duddridge and Amess our local MP's will speak up on behalf of Southend United.
Obviously I cant contact Southend MPs as I am not a resident of the borough but those who can should give them a prod to find out what actions they are taking or intending to take

It wasn't me that said it was negligible, it was a guy who is often quoted on various media outlets because he's an expert on football finance. However, I accept your point that other match day revenues are important, but I don't think it even comes close to the amount they make from other sources.

My point still stands: that the government should tell the PL to sort themselves out whilst they help out the lower league clubs.

Back