• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News EFL chairmen fear clubs will go bust after return of fans is delayed

This is the outrage of it. The Premier League has mentioned in the past that they need the lower Leagues. Relegation and promotion of clubs of all sizes is part of the beauty of the game, they said. They have a massive increasing money pot sitting in the bank and growing each season, through sponsorship and TV rights. They could help to save quite a few clubs from going bust by giving a massive cash injection to each team in League One and Two, say a £million each, (Not to go to the players or staff, but general bills, debts and running of the club), and it wouldn't affect them in the slightest. Now is the time.
Don't believe what they say, which is all for public consumption.

The Premier League do NOT want lower league clubs. They don't care. Some of them might; WBA, Fulham and the ones who have been in the lower leagues, but the big clubs don't.

They'd be in favour of a Premier 2, with all the teams that were "big" but for whatever reason are out of the Prem at the moment; teams like Birmingham, Forest, Sheff Wed, Coventry, Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Blackburn etc.

But look at League 2; several clubs are what you would usually call non league but who are punching above their weight; Salford, Crawley, Harrogate, Barrow, Morecambe, Forest Green, Stevenage... they have nothing to offer the Prem, and in their eyes neither do we. They genuinely don't care if we all go to the wall.

I care by the way and have for years been saying that the big boys need to realise that they are only the top of the tree because there is a bottom. But we really don't matter in the grand scheme of things. As far as they are concerned, football was invented in 1992.

The Premier League do NOT want lower league clubs. They don't care. Some of them might; WBA, Fulham and the ones who have been in the lower leagues, but the big clubs don't.

They'd be in favour of a Premier 2, with all the teams that were "big" but for whatever reason are out of the Prem at the moment; teams like Birmingham, Forest, Sheff Wed, Coventry, Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Blackburn etc.

But look at League 2; several clubs are what you would usually call non league but who are punching above their weight; Salford, Crawley, Harrogate, Barrow, Morecambe, Forest Green, Stevenage... they have nothing to offer the Prem, and in their eyes neither do we. They genuinely don't care if we all go to the wall.

I care by the way and have for years been saying that the big boys need to realise that they are only the top of the tree because there is a bottom. But we really don't matter in the grand scheme of things. As far as they are concerned, football was invented in 1992.

Sadly you are spot on FBM.

Excellent post

Ive never liked the idea before but maybe in these difficult times we should revisit the idea of bigger clubs 'adopting' a lower leage club or clubs, to act as a kind of feeder club where there are mutual benefits i.e. smaller club gets financial input from the bigger club, bigger club gets to use the smaller club for giving young players experience etc. Obviously there would be a lot of things to discuss and work out but it could be a way forward. I think it could only work with prem clubs as most Championship clubs lose money anyway (its not known as the financial graveyard league for nothing). Plus it would have to be enforced on all prem clubs that they have to 'adopt' at least one club from L1 and one from L2. It could be done on a vote system as to which clubs get adopted by who. Any bigger clubs in the Championship who want to take part could do so, plus it could be enforced on those just relegated from the Prem who will still have parachute money. Lets face it if it cost each prem club £2m each a season it would be a drop in their oceans, but would keep lower league clubs afloat as viable breeding grounds for the prem clubs.

I know, I'm in cloud cuckoo land..:Madhouse:

Im a believer in localist politics. The politics should support the local community. I don't think it really matters whether Southend United exist in a professional capacity i.e. in the EFL or not. The club should serve as a community asset: providing entertainment and a sense of community sadly lacking in today's society.

This is the model we shold be trying to achieve; not one where we chase the rainbow, or pump money into a loss-making operation.

Interesting the EFL has become aware that a number of EFL clubs will likely default on their next HMRC payment. These are now payable again. Under the current EFL rules that is a reportable event which is then automatically followed by a transfer embargo (the same we are under). The EFL propose to allow an extension to reporting that default event until the 15 Oct in the hope that Prem/Gov monies will be forthcoming & clubs will be able to address the default.

On one hand pragmatic, on the other changing the rules retrospectively to help the relevant clubs (particularly as we are in the transfer window)..

The cinical part of me sees the Premiership offering funds in exchange for B teams

Interesting the EFL has become aware that a number of EFL clubs will likely default on their next HMRC payment. These are now payable again. Under the current EFL rules that is a reportable event which is then automatically followed by a transfer embargo (the same we are under). The EFL propose to allow an extension to reporting that default event until the 15 Oct in the hope that Prem/Gov monies will be forthcoming & clubs will be able to address the default.

On one hand pragmatic, on the other changing the rules retrospectively to help the relevant clubs (particularly as we are in the transfer window)..
But clubs were given permission to defer tax and VAT bills (after the season 2019/2020 was concluded prematurely). For how long I don't know but unless it's historic tax debt like ours, no one should be facing a WOU, embargo or the like?

But clubs were given permission to defer tax and VAT bills (after the season 2019/2020 was concluded prematurely). For how long I don't know but unless it's historic tax debt like ours, no one should be facing a WOU, embargo or the like?

The deferral was minimal VAT I think for one quarter.

HMRC are unlikely to wind any clubs up at this point who have paid on time, filed returns on time etc meaning the Debt Management arm of HMRC will almost certainly grant a Time To Pay agreement with clubs suffering short term and who have a history of compliance.

Their approach will be different when planning their approach and where current debt has accrued to outside the period business could delay their payments they will have to look at the current state of affairs, not what could happen but what is known.

Of course Southend’s survival is priority for those that post on here but any handout from the PL won’t be directed to past debt will be about paying current trading expenses.

Im a believer in localist politics. The politics should support the local community. I don't think it really matters whether Southend United exist in a professional capacity i.e. in the EFL or not. The club should serve as a community asset: providing entertainment and a sense of community sadly lacking in today's society.

This is the model we shold be trying to achieve; not one where we chase the rainbow, or pump money into a loss-making operation.

I would like to see us as more of an exhibition side - like the Harlem Globetrotters.

Last edited:
Ive never liked the idea before but maybe in these difficult times we should revisit the idea of bigger clubs 'adopting' a lower leage club or clubs, to act as a kind of feeder club where there are mutual benefits i.e. smaller club gets financial input from the bigger club, bigger club gets to use the smaller club for giving young players experience etc. Obviously there would be a lot of things to discuss and work out but it could be a way forward. I think it could only work with prem clubs as most Championship clubs lose money anyway (its not known as the financial graveyard league for nothing). Plus it would have to be enforced on all prem clubs that they have to 'adopt' at least one club from L1 and one from L2. It could be done on a vote system as to which clubs get adopted by who. Any bigger clubs in the Championship who want to take part could do so, plus it could be enforced on those just relegated from the Prem who will still have parachute money. Lets face it if it cost each prem club £2m each a season it would be a drop in their oceans, but would keep lower league clubs afloat as viable breeding grounds for the prem clubs.

I know, I'm in cloud cuckoo land..:Madhouse:

I see where you are coming from but I can't see how it would be anything other than disastrous to enter into negotiations from such a weak bargaining position. The EPL would have the EFL over barrel.

Shock horror......'the Premier League want the EFL to side with it and against the Football Association in a debate over the signing of young foreign players and possible quotas post-Brexit before sanctioning any rescue package'.

Match day revenue is more than just ticket sales. It's also merchandise sales, food and drink sales, hospitality sales.

Just look at how desperate the likes of Arsenal and Spurs were to move to a new stadium, even Championship clubs like W*** H**. It might not be as much as TV revenue but it is definitely not insignificant otherwise why would all those clubs be looking to move/upgrade?

I'm sure that arsenal and the hammers etc will have sold season cards anyway.

I'm also sure that they will be selling the games live around the world on a match day.

I'd more concerned about the local eateries and bars going under.

As for the prem bailing the lower league clubs out. Its a case of not being legally obliged but morally obliged. As we all know, they aren't many morals at the top end of the game at all.

I do however think it should be that the richest clubs ie man City, Chelsea etc paying more than Burnley and Brighton etc

There were extentions on VAT and I think these now run to next year. I didn't take advantage of it so not 100% but I think amounts outstanding can now be paid in instalments as well once the catch up hits.

Not aware of any Corporation Tax extention (may have been a 3 month filing extention earlier on) but the killer for football clubs at the moment will be PAYE and that has to be paid?

Further even if HMRC were to delay WOUs on PAYE (this would on an individual club basis and not blanket for EFL) actually it doesn't help as the EFL regulations say its the "default event" (i.e. the clubs have to notify the EFL of non-payment) that triggers the embargo not the WOU. The clubs commit under threat of expulsion to notify and give authority to HMRC to share with EFL.

All this talk about Prem clubs bailing out lower league clubs. Sorry, but if this happens in other industries I'd agree, but can you imagine say... a successful hedge funder bailing out less successful hedge funders?

Back