• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News EFL clubs given two proposals for start of next season

Interesting 12th Sept is suggested as preferred. I note they seem to have extended the season for that option to end of May to do away with the extra midweek games otherwise needed. Also a number of clubs wanting players and staff being able to remain on furlough till beginning on Sept (with needs no back to work before Sept 1 to claim August furlough)

This might £££ work but the clubs more serious about promotion wont have a pre-season of 12 days. Not time to get match fit and players prepared properly full stop.

Some clubs will be back in August and have a huge advantage over those that wait till Sept for financial reasons.

Our players refusing furlough (unlike at other clubs) might bizarrely work to our advantage. If they ain't furloughed then they should be training and made to get fitness train to within an inch of their lives!

EFL sides are set to vote before next Wednesday to decide the start date for the new season! The clubs will be voting on one of two proposals! Proposal A - season lasts from August 29th to May 9th Proposal B - season lasts from September 12 and ends on May 22.

Potless clubs will vote B to max furlough
Clubs eyeing promotion over ££ will also vote B and come back training in Aug to gain a significant advantage at the beginning of the season.

Therefore can't see anyone voting A - so I would put 12th Sept in your diaries..

Interesting 12th Sept is suggested as preferred. I note they seem to have extended the season for that option to end of May to do away with the extra midweek games otherwise needed. Also a number of clubs wanting players and staff being able to remain on furlough till beginning on Sept (with needs no back to work before Sept 1 to claim August furlough)

This might £££ work but the clubs more serious about promotion wont have a pre-season of 12 days. Not time to get match fit and players prepared properly full stop.

Some clubs will be back in August and have a huge advantage over those that wait till Sept for financial reasons.

Our players refusing furlough (unlike at other clubs) might bizarrely work to our advantage. If they ain't furloughed then they should be training and made to get fitness train to within an inch of their lives!
Preferred by the clubs, my understanding is EFL prefer August date

EFL sides are set to vote before next Wednesday to decide the start date for the new season! The clubs will be voting on one of two proposals! Proposal A - season lasts from August 29th to May 9th Proposal B - season lasts from September 12 and ends on May 22.

Potless clubs will vote B to max furlough
Clubs eyeing promotion over ££ will also vote B and come back training in Aug to gain a significant advantage at the beginning of the season.

Therefore can't see anyone voting A - so I would put 12th Sept in your diaries..
My view too, think Sept date suits the Majority, as a lot haven’t even sorted playing squads as yet

Let's not even forget we won't know who is even making up the division until the National League Playoffs finish on August 2! I don't think the 29th of the same month is realistic at all.

Starting on 12th September will still need players and clubs to return for pre season and even those not eyeing promotion will have a fear of relegation so plotless or not they will have players back in training on or around the 1st august for either start date...

with it being more and more likely that fans will be back, even with reduced capacities, the cash flow won’t be so much of an issue.

I’d anticipate 30% capacities which would give us 3,750.....usual break even figures of approx 5,000....which will be a lot lower now with a reduced wage bill.....

Add to that Increased ifollow attendance and reduced overheads associated with lower crowds and you may see us as not a lot worse off than usual....especially if new Hummel merchandise is selling well

Let's not even forget we won't know who is even making up the division until the National League Playoffs finish on August 2! I don't think the 29th of the same month is realistic at all.
Probably why its the EFL's preferred option then :-) Happily the clubs will think otherwise.

Presumably, very limited or no away supporters. Probably the only way the Club will get anywhere close to 3500 home supporters.

Would imagine it will be some time before coaches can run anywhere near full capacity anyway. With that scenario, cost of travel would be exhorbitant and far less attractive.

Starting on 12th September will still need players and clubs to return for pre season and even those not eyeing promotion will have a fear of relegation so plotless or not they will have players back in training on or around the 1st august for either start date...

with it being more and more likely that fans will be back, even with reduced capacities, the cash flow won’t be so much of an issue.

I’d anticipate 30% capacities which would give us 3,750.....usual break even figures of approx 5,000....which will be a lot lower now with a reduced wage bill.....

Add to that Increased ifollow attendance and reduced overheads associated with lower crowds and you may see us as not a lot worse off than usual....especially if new Hummel merchandise is selling well
Possibly but bear in mind some clubs in L2 actively were against the earlier start date because they wanted to benefit from the August furlough. They might change their minds but that was what they have said..

Presumably, very limited or no away supporters. Probably the only way the Club will get anywhere close to 3500 home supporters.

Would imagine it will be some time before coaches can run anywhere near full capacity anyway. With that scenario, cost of travel would be exhorbitant and far less attractive.
Almost impossible to second guess...bear in mind a couple hundred of people can all sit side by side on a plane for a few hours now. Where there is no consistency nothing can easily be predicted.

The biggest differences that all travellers have to wear a mask or face covering, without option. Not sure that would work at a football match, so social distancing for the moment would have to apply. Mind September is a long way off and a lot can change.

Possibly but bear in mind some clubs in L2 actively were against the earlier start date because they wanted to benefit from the August furlough. They might change their minds but that was what they have said..

but no one is going to start training on 1st Sept for a 12th sept start. The risk of injuries and starting poorly will be too much of a risk for everyone. Look at the history of players even with us, who have missed pre season only to flat line 3 games in and never look the same again (even Cox and Dru recently)

more likely is 1st team players and staff will return and scholars / 23s and associated staff will remain off until later date.

but no one is going to start training on 1st Sept for a 12th sept start. The risk of injuries and starting poorly will be too much of a risk for everyone. Look at the history of players even with us, who have missed pre season only to flat line 3 games in and never look the same again (even Cox and Dru recently)

more likely is 1st team players and staff will return and scholars / 23s and associated staff will remain off until later date.
I am only telling you what some clubs have said. I am not saying they are right or even that I necessarily believe them. On the other hand look at the Prem- players were doing their own training regimes and only came back to full training a couple of weeks before the restart having been off since March?

And your point regarding bringing some back and not all may well be valid.

Back