• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Premier League and the EFL bailout

Wow, obviously needs details but 25% to the EFL sounds huge

this might be what league one and two supporters have been asking for

This is a really bad deal for football in the longer term. It reduces the 92 to 90 for starters, which would mean a one-off 4 down to the National League, which would be heartbreaking for any 9f the club's caught in the mix. It puts the power firmly in the hands of the richest and biggest clubs, so even premiership clubs in the lower end of the table are left out in the cold. Whilst the promise of the money sounds great, it won't be when the money is sucked into the top 9, meaning the remaining 90% have to feed off the scraps. Change is urgently needed, I agree, but this particular proposal is a really bad idea.

Someone a bit naively made a moderately lengthy post (on a different thread) railing against how the PL want to turn the EFL into a PL2 model where they could enter their B teams and/or turn already existing EFL clubs into feeder clubs. A European Super League has been the focus of the elite (remember the G-14 from more than a decade back?) for a long time and if Man Utd, Liverpool and Rick Parry succeed with this (I don't think they will in its current guise) they will never have been more close to forming an ESL and leaving the rest of English football behind.

However, equal voting rights and supermajority requirements to amend the rules of PL has held back the top 6 from facilitating changes that everyone else but the top 6 doesn't like, e.g. allowing 5 subs for this season and onwards.

It's good that 1 PL club has an equal worth in voting rights to another but don't forget this is mostly the same 19 team cabal that have introduced PPV in the PL for the first time (I hate the comparisons between iFollow PPV and the new PL PPV because it's apples and pears). The rest of the PL beyond the top 6 will happily take more of punters' money but they'll draw a line at 5 subs. That sounds a tad inconsisent.

The "other 11" (West Ham, Everton and Southampton outside of the top 6 would be afforded more rights than the rest) are only party stopping the Parry plan from happening but I suspect the minimum needed 5 mouths can be stuffed with enough gold to have their minds changed or at least protests muffled enough to pass through this plan or something very similar.

The fact that these proposals would give the 9 longest lasting clubs all the voting power in the PL is a massive red flag (with 6 needing to pass a proposal), this looks generous now but once that voting power has been shifted to those clubs who knows what they'll do in the future.

A European Super League has long been the ambition of the elite, sorry , richest clubs. The rest of the Premier League clubs would be diminished in viability and status just as the majority of the EFL clubs were when the Premier League was formed. The greed of Man U, Liverpool et al will never be satisfied even after they have cut the rest of the Premier League adrift. This is a leveling down plan, not a levelling up.

The fact that these proposals would give the 9 longest lasting clubs all the voting power in the PL is a massive red flag (with 6 needing to pass a proposal), this looks generous now but once that voting power has been shifted to those clubs who knows what they'll do in the future.
Is the right answer!
As you say, have they thought about the future?
If the same 10-15 super Europeans play each other all the time, will it really engender a TV and live audience as they imagine?
The strength of UK football is its parochialism. Who cares if Rochdale go under, for example? Actually, lots of people.
That's why they survive as most do in Leagues I and 2.
I tried explaining this once to American friends and they just shook their heads.

Make no mistake, this will not benefit anyone except a core of PL clubs and the 'money men' who infest industry for their own personal gain. The biggest losers when the sweeteners run dry, as usual, will be the lower leagues and grass roots clubs.

the worst thing is that the ENGLISH Premier League is the best product in the world and a major revenue earner for this country ...

Any Euro league lets the Germans in on the honey pot -

You might like shopping at Lidl and Aldi and driving a BMW but why should we sell out a major ENGLISH institution

I would have thought that Sky would have a large say in this proposal. As they provide a large chunk of monies to the PL, is it in their interest to go along with it. If they did then I would certainly cancel the sports package and I would think many others will do the same.

The end of football as we know it.The fact that West Ham are to be given elite status tells you just how stitched up this deal is in favour of a select band of clubs.
Would love to see the EFL go back to the original set up of the league and sever all ties with those " We're big boys " clubs and watch the loss of interest with no relegation or promotion to their cosy little club.
Unfortunately we know that money talks and the payment bribe will be lapped up by certain Division 2 /Championship clubs who think they belong in the club.Have lost all interest in the Premiership and even the international side in recent years and the demise of the FAcup and what it meant to fans and communities is a perfect example of how Sky and certain clubs have killed the game from the grass roots up....Sad times for the genuine supporters.

I'm more concerned by the 100 million sweetener to the FA.

They are ridiculously biased as it is and will happily bight the clubs hands off.

Reactions: GBJ
Trying to view it with an open mind but it seems like a honey trap to me. Big sweetener on the table that makes a show of protecting the roots of our game in the short term but surely the future dark cloud is premier league B teams once voting rights allow them to do it. It’s bad enough in the pointless cup but imagine a Southend V Prem Big Boy 2nd team in a competitive league. Horrible.

The end of football as we know it.The fact that West Ham are to be given elite status tells you just how stitched up this deal is in favour of a select band of clubs.
Would love to see the EFL go back to the original set up of the league and sever all ties with those " We're big boys " clubs and watch the loss of interest with no relegation or promotion to their cosy little club.
Unfortunately we know that money talks and the payment bribe will be lapped up by certain Division 2 /Championship clubs who think they belong in the club.Have lost all interest in the Premiership and even the international side in recent years and the demise of the FAcup and what it meant to fans and communities is a perfect example of how Sky and certain clubs have killed the game from the grass roots up....Sad times for the genuine supporters.

Apparently West Ham are very much against the proposal.

The Government keep threatening to step in but never do. This is a dreadful proposal , not what I expected , and trust THE

Back