• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EFL survey shows fans want VAR and professional referees

VAR is very useful as it assists in making correct decisions as in rugby, cricket and tennis, surely this must be right. I can't see why making referees professional will make any difference to their performance, their ability to make judgements will not change, nor will their eyesight or their interpretation of the rules of the game. They will still be the same person whether they are professional or not.

VAR is very useful as it assists in making correct decisions as in rugby, cricket and tennis, surely this must be right. I can't see why making referees professional will make any difference to their performance, their ability to make judgements will not change, nor will their eyesight or their interpretation of the rules of the game. They will still be the same person whether they are professional or not.
I agree with the referee comments but not so much re VAR.

Goal line technology and professional refs yes but no to VAR - that feeling when your team has just scored could never be the same a few minutes later.

The two don't go together the more the officials rely on VAR the less 'professional' they will become.

I disagree that going professional wouldn't help, often the reason refs get it wrong is because they are poorly positioned to see the game properly, that's something that could be worked on with full time training. Not to mention that a professional wage will attract a higher number of applicants meaning more people applying, which means there will be less need to hire mediocre refs because no one better wants to do it.

Can't believe people are against VAR!!!

Technology is needed to remove shocking decisions and cheating.

VAR hasn't been the problem, it's the way it's been implemented and handled.

Can't believe people are against VAR!!!

Technology is needed to remove shocking decisions and cheating.

VAR hasn't been the problem, it's the way it's been implemented and handled.

No referee that I've ever met at any level of the game (and that is quite a lot) has ever cheated, would ever cheat and would ever countance cheating.

I don't think there has ever been a case in English football of a referee being found to cheat.

The guys you see at the Hall who (in your opinion) get things wrong, aren't cheating. They're just making mistakes. Even the clown we had at Walsall (who put in the worst 90 minutes I've seen in some time at any level) wasn't cheating, he was just having a very, very bad day at the office.

VAR.... saw it in action at Feyenoord. No big screen replays, fans didn't have a scooby what was going on. They were used to it though, I was just a befuddled. I think it can work, but it needs developing and some clarity about what it is going to be used for.

Pro Refs.... yeah, that's ok, but you will still get the same refs and possibly some that are the level below. Whilst it sounds good on paper, all refs at our level are in employment and its a bit of risk to throw that in to be a pro ref if you can be demoted back to the Conference with no notice at the end of the season. So you will find that some of the current ones just wont want to do it and you'll be promoting people.

When I rule the world you won’t be able to fart without VAR. No consultation or anything, just wallop ‘ave some of that. Mandatory prison sentences for a sloppy release or an untimely follow through. This was funny in my head. Maybe it’s time for bed?

No referee that I've ever met at any level of the game (and that is quite a lot) has ever cheated, would ever cheat and would ever countance cheating.

I don't think there has ever been a case in English football of a referee being found to cheat.

The guys you see at the Hall who (in your opinion) get things wrong, aren't cheating. They're just making mistakes. Even the clown we had at Walsall (who put in the worst 90 minutes I've seen in some time at any level) wasn't cheating, he was just having a very, very bad day at the office.

VAR.... saw it in action at Feyenoord. No big screen replays, fans didn't have a scooby what was going on. They were used to it though, I was just a befuddled. I think it can work, but it needs developing and some clarity about what it is going to be used for.

Pro Refs.... yeah, that's ok, but you will still get the same refs and possibly some that are the level below. Whilst it sounds good on paper, all refs at our level are in employment and its a bit of risk to throw that in to be a pro ref if you can be demoted back to the Conference with no notice at the end of the season. So you will find that some of the current ones just wont want to do it and you'll be promoting people.

I wasn't talking about referees cheating!!!!!

Mean players conning referees into giving penalties, getting other players sent off etc

VAR was being used in the Thai League last season sporadically by the teams that could afford it. Being at the games live it was utter "jackson pollocks", as a fan you didn't have a clue what was going on.

To make it worse, they were doing it wrong, instead of extras refs in a truck in his earpiece, it was just down to the refs discretion which basically meant players surrounding the ref doing the TV mime (a bookable offence supposedly) until the Ref deicded to review footage.

In the end FIFA stepped in and made the Thai FA stop using it unless they were going to do it properly.

I wasn't talking about referees cheating!!!!!

Mean players conning referees into giving penalties, getting other players sent off etc

But you have never needed VAR to do that. Someone or even a panel watching and linked to ref could correct cheating.

Ref gives a pen but its a blatant dive, he changes to straight red and free kick to the defence.....Stops that offence instantly.

The whole game including at junior level would improve.

Even if we had VAR for the Walsall or Sunderland penalties. The same fans would have the same opinion but the game becomes nonsense. Very reason the Zone exists is because football is subjective.

Nobody goes on a golf forum and discusses whether that great put on the 17th should have stood or not.

The World loves football an

I'm all for VAR. It will get better as it's uses are understood more and ref's become more experienced with it.

Some of the ridiculous new laws should be binned, IMHO. Like a GK can't stand behind the goal line for a penalty? Why the f--- not??

But you have never needed VAR to do that. Someone or even a panel watching and linked to ref could correct cheating.

Ref gives a pen but its a blatant dive, he changes to straight red and free kick to the defence.....Stops that offence instantly.

The whole game including at junior level would improve.

Even if we had VAR for the Walsall or Sunderland penalties. The same fans would have the same opinion but the game becomes nonsense. Very reason the Zone exists is because football is subjective.

Nobody goes on a golf forum and discusses whether that great put on the 17th should have stood or not.

The World loves football an

The example you gave would still be using video evidence, so this is VAR!!!

That's why I said I support it, but I think it's been poorly implemented. No idea why the referee needs to check on a small screen, let the guy in the video room make the decision, like they do in rugby.

I've voted no on the Twitter poll Chris Phillips posted, but more because VAR as it is now is rubbish.

I think the WWC was awful for it and most of the talking points from the event came from VAR rather than the very deserved credit the participants should have received. That's not what anyone wants from football, surely.

From what I have seen of VAR, it needs to be quicker, the ref spending 5 minutes at a screen watching the same thing over and over is pointless and if you can't come to a decision with 3 or 4 viewings then the original decision should stand, decisions then need to be made much more clear for players on the pitch and for fans in the stands as often it looks to cause confusion as to why a goal was disallowed or why a penalty has to be retaken.

Sort all of that out and then you still have the issue of funding it in the lower leagues. I certainly wouldn't want Southend to have to pay for it when we should be getting good refereeing performances anyway.

Rugby, tennis and cricket are all stop-start games with breaks in play. Football is a flowing game - or rather it used to be until VAR got involved. I'm more concerned that they've chosen not to simplify the offside law, all this first-phase / second-phase stuff is rubbish.

I was ok with VAR until the WWC. The tiny, tiny margins (like Ellen White's disallowed goal v USA) are utterly ridiculous. There will be uproar if the same things happen in the Prem.

Besides, how the **** are small clubs like ours supposed to afford it all? We can barely pay the man who supplies the onions for the burgers.

I was ok with VAR until the WWC. The tiny, tiny margins (like Ellen White's disallowed goal v USA) are utterly ridiculous. There will be uproar if the same things happen in the Prem.

Besides, how the **** are small clubs like ours supposed to afford it all? We can barely pay the man who supplies the onions for the burgers.

I assume it will only be mandatory for the Prem.

Back