• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Election day 2016

Pubey

[barna] my constituency has a byelection today [/barna]

Harry Harpham (Labour MP) died a few months ago and his wife is running as the labour candidate. I think his wife is a decent person and could be a good MP (in some ways stronger than Harpham). It'll be quite an interesting temperature check in a very safe Labour seat. I'll also be interested to see what happens to UKIP, who had a large bump in numbers (+18%) last year in the GE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Brightside_and_Hillsborough_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the talk is all about voter apathy (and I'll be amazed if it goes over 30% today), but could not the same be true of candidates? I have no idea of who's standing in my local election today (bar Labour), and I've received no literature through the door (again bar Labour). I reside in a fairly safe Labour seat, but come on Tory, Lib Dem, UKIP et al, make the bloody effort or why bother standing in the first place?

What's it like in your neck of the woods?

I know the talk is all about voter apathy (and I'll be amazed if it goes over 30% today), but could not the same be true of candidates? I have no idea of who's standing in my local election today (bar Labour), and I've received no literature through the door (again bar Labour). I reside in a fairly safe Labour seat, but come on Tory, Lib Dem, UKIP et al, make the bloody effort or why bother standing in the first place?

What's it like in your neck of the woods?

We're only voting for Police and Crime Commissioner today (woo-hoo) and there are only four candidates. Leaflets through from the Conservatives, Labour and Lib Dems, but nothing from UKIP.

The Labour candidate was MP for St Albans for eight years and the Lib Dem guy has been a county councillor since 1993, so some pedigree there. Not really sure what the Conservative chap has done to merit being their man, but to be fair Herts is the proverbial 'pin a blue rosette on a donkey' county.

I voted at around 7:40 and it looked like I was only the fourth person to do so in that polling station. I can't imagine they'll be knocked over in the rush today.

I'm doing the school run today, so I'll be taking MK Jnr to the polling station. Get 'em early!

Only voting for Police Commissioner. Only had one leaflet from the UKIP rep. Tory, Libdem and Labour candidates all have no police experience. The English Democrats candidate has massive experience in policing, but obviously has shady politics. Ho hum.

I am English, I was born in England, and support England in sport.

I want an English Parliament the same as the Scottish Parliament, I want to celebrate St George’s Day, like the Irish the celebrate St Patrick’s Day, I want to preserve my English Culture, like the Welsh preserve their language.

I simply want, what other people do for their own Nations, but I am told I must be British not English, and that if I say I am English & Proud, I am a racist … why is this ?”

Steve is prepared to stand up for what is right, he vividly demonstrated this in 2013 by rugby tackling an armed robber in London, resulting in the robber being caught when he might have got away, he was subsequently awarded a Commendation for Bravery by the Metropolitan Police Commissioner.

Had leaflets through the door from Lib Dems, Conservatives and UKIP, nothing from Labour or the Greens, and absolutely no info on the Police Commissioner election.

Can a mod move my post from the labour thread to here. Ta xx

Only voting for Police Commissioner. Only had one leaflet from the UKIP rep. Tory, Libdem and Labour candidates all have no police experience. The English Democrats candidate has massive experience in policing, but obviously has shady politics. Ho hum.

I am English, I was born in England, and support England in sport.

I want an English Parliament the same as the Scottish Parliament, I want to celebrate St George’s Day, like the Irish the celebrate St Patrick’s Day, I want to preserve my English Culture, like the Welsh preserve their language.

I simply want, what other people do for their own Nations, but I am told I must be British not English, and that if I say I am English & Proud, I am a racist … why is this ?”

Steve is prepared to stand up for what is right, he vividly demonstrated this in 2013 by rugby tackling an armed robber in London, resulting in the robber being caught when he might have got away, he was subsequently awarded a Commendation for Bravery by the Metropolitan Police Commissioner.

Rugby tackled a robber eh. Almost over qualified for the post.

Will be casting my vote after work for what its worth. The independent gets mine as he was the only one who could be bothered to put something through the door. For the police commissioner, spoiled paper as none of them put anything out.

We've got elections happening today for Police Commissioner and some local council wards. I had literature through door for Labour a few days back, and UKIP and Lim Dems yesterday, nothing from anyone else on the local Council front. It wasn't until I got my voting forms that I realised that the Police Commissioner vote was happening as well. I was hoping that all the prospective candidates were going to knock so that we could discuss their position on Fossetts Farm still never mind.

I'm expecting a low turn out and as usual those that don't vote will get what they are given and will spend the rest of the year moaning about it.

Mayoral election for me.

Got a chance to reject an absolutely disgusting Tory campaign and vote for a multi-cultural London within Europe.

This is my friend's nan. Sounds like UKIP have been naughty.

lfDw1MA.jpg

Didn't Sadiq call moderate Muslims Uncle Toms? Aren't they both as bad as each other?

Sadiq is an uninspiring candidate from a deeply uninspiring party and he should have phrased that better but that hardly makes him as bad as someone who's fought a campaign as disgusting as the one Zac Goldsmith has lent his name to.

I won't cheer if Sadiq wins, but I'll cheer when Zac Goldsmith's campaign is rejected by the people of London.

Mayoral election for me.

Got a chance to reject an absolutely disgusting Tory campaign and vote for a multi-cultural London within Europe.

Careful what you wish for. With different cultures comes different behaviors.

All very well enjoying a food market, or some dance festival but if you're a lorry driver who hasn't had a pay rise for 10 years because a migrant will do the same job for half your wages and send half of it back to his country, or some migrant starts a fight in your local maternity ward with a doctor because he is on the phone to his mate back home being told the doctor "is not doing it right", or even when your child is being ignored at school because the teachers are spending more time with migrant children..... It becomes harder to sell as a concept.

Careful what you wish for. With different cultures comes different behaviors.

All very well enjoying a food market, or some dance festival but if you're a lorry driver who hasn't had a pay rise for 10 years because a migrant will do the same job for half your wages and send half of it back to his country, or some migrant starts a fight in your local maternity ward with a doctor because he is on the phone to his mate back home being told the doctor "is not doing it right", or even when your child is being ignored at school because the teachers are spending more time with migrant children..... It becomes harder to sell as a concept.

I already live in a multi-cultural area with different behaviours and so can allay your fears with actual real life experience of immigration: it's fine, thanks.

Oh and the employment opportunities are better.

My doctor is actually an immigrant himself. Haven't seen any fights at the doctors, although I think it got a bit heated over the MMR jab in the posher areas with the middle class mums suggesting the doctor didn't know how to do their job.

I already live in a multi-cultural area with different behaviours and so can allay your fears with actual real life experience of immigration: it's fine, thanks.

Oh and the employment opportunities are better.

My doctor is actually an immigrant himself. Haven't seen any fights at the doctors, although I think it got a bit heated over the MMR jab in the posher areas with the middle class mums suggesting the doctor didn't know how to do their job.

Actually, each of my examples were from "real life experience"

Back