• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Will you vote today?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jedi Shrimper

formerly Drastic™
I completely forgot that it was an election day until I saw some Polling Station signs this morning. I've had virtually no election literature through the door barring the incumbant tory newsletter and a flyer from an independant (the kind of loony "common sense" candidate who thinks you can decrease council tax AND increase bin collections, mend more potholes etc).

My question is will you be voting?

Also any help with the following would be appreciated...
1. Do I need my polling card? I can't think where it is?
2. What time do the stations stay open until?
3. Where can I check I'm registered to vote? (99.9% sure I am)
4. Is there anywhere I can look for who is standing in my area?

1) Nope, long as you can remember your name and where you live.
2) 10pm
3) At the polling station.
4) As above (or possibly on the web).

Will I be voting? Most probably, but I can see turnouts less than 30%. One of the reasons I'm not doing my usual yearly poll clerk stint this year.

I will vote, because I consider it's my duty to. I firmly believe that we have no right to criticise Government (local or national) if we don't exercise the right to vote.

I will vote, because I consider it's my duty to. I firmly believe that we have no right to criticise Government (local or national) if we don't exercise the right to vote.

Bang on. Can't green you at the moment, could somebody else on my behalf?

I may well spoil my papers today, far better to do that than not turn up, at least it shows I care.

I nearly forgot, but luckily my polling station is about 100 yards from where I live. I will vote and luckily I do have an outlet for a bit of a protest vote.

I nearly forgot, but luckily my polling station is about 100 yards from where I live. I will vote and luckily I do have an outlet for a bit of a protest vote.

Canvey Independant Party?

If I lived on canvey I'd vote for them if they changed their name to the Canvey Independance Party :winking:

Been and done it, and for the first time I really struggled for who to vote for. What a **** state this country is in.

Drastic™;1391829 said:
Canvey Independant Party?

If I lived on canvey I'd vote for them if they changed their name to the Canvey Independance Party :winking:

Yes indeed.

Not sure about home rule for Canvey, I'd have a horrible feeling we'd get Jeff King for King!! :nope:

In the past i have always voted, however, i have decided not to this year. The main reason being that the only manifesto that i have had through my door is from the far right English National Party. Nothing from Labour, Conservative or other.

I agree with OBL that if you don't vote, you dont have the right to critisize, however, i also believe that it is a two way street, and if the campaigners are only going to bother with the Kursaal estate, and not the rest of the Kursaal ward, then i can't be bothered with them.

In the past i have always voted, however, i have decided not to this year. The main reason being that the only manifesto that i have had through my door is from the far right English National Party. Nothing from Labour, Conservative or other.

Dav, I'd urge you to vote for anyone but these scumbags if they're standing.

You don't need a polling card to vote.

But I do to find my polling station! Looked it up on Google and found it.

In Sheffield we have a referendum about having the council run by a Leader or a Mayor, can someone explain the difference (and who I should vote for?).

An elected mayor gives you a chance to vote for the individual (eg Boris or Ken). This is sort of like the US Presidential system (but without primaries and electoral colleges).

A council leader you vote for a party (technically you vote for the councillor, but in reality councillors are voted for on the basis of their party) and the party with the most seats chooses a leader. This is like the Westminster system and how we choose our PM.

The elected mayor puts a lot of power in the hands of an individual. That means they have the chance to get things done and drive through projects. It also means they plenty of room to **** things up. A council leader is dependent upon the support of the councillors to get things done and if the council leader goes a bit power crazy they can be dismissed at a council meeting by a vote of no confidence, whereas with a mayor you'd have to wait until the next election and they can wreak havoc until then.

Living in Sheffield and with your political views, I'd have thought you should probably vote Lib Dems, but don't know about any independent candidates standing.

An elected mayor gives you a chance to vote for the individual (eg Boris or Ken). This is sort of like the US Presidential system (but without primaries and electoral colleges).

A council leader you vote for a party (technically you vote for the councillor, but in reality councillors are voted for on the basis of their party) and the party with the most seats chooses a leader. This is like the Westminster system and how we choose our PM.

The elected mayor puts a lot of power in the hands of an individual. That means they have the chance to get things done and drive through projects. It also means they plenty of room to **** things up. A council leader is dependent upon the support of the councillors to get things done and if the council leader goes a bit power crazy they can be dismissed at a council meeting by a vote of no confidence, whereas with a mayor you'd have to wait until the next election and they can wreak havoc until then.

Living in Sheffield and with your political views, I'd have thought you should probably vote Lib Dems, but don't know about any independent candidates standing.

Cheers Matt. I guess without knowing the mayoral candidates it means that you could end up with a Boris v Ken situation (i.e. lesser of two evils). A leader system seems slower, but perhaps 'safer'. I like the idea of a decent local mayor with power in Sheffield, it's a large place which has fallen by the way-side and it needs some decent projects to give the place a lift.

2 things wrong with that for me

1) There is no politcal party I want, or prefer in power. Having to vote for one of them to justify my right to complain doesnt really make sense.

2) Voting round our way is pointless. Tory will win anyway.

The only things Ive had through my door are for Lib Dems and BNP. I vaguely recall something complaining about the Stadium which may have been lib dems, in which case they can go **** themselves. And the less said about the BNP the better.

We had a referendum in Tower Hamlets on whether to have a mayor (in addition to Boris/Ken) and I can't even remember the way I voted or the outcome. There was a lot of politics involved with that, and I don't know whether Sheffield has the same amount of voter fraud as alleged in Tower Hamlets.

On my way in this morning there was someone putting up a POLLING BOOTH sign outside of a portacabin that looked well dodgy.

Back