• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Electrical question

steveo

mine to stay the same please
Can you wire an electric cooker via a junction box or does the wire have to go directly form the cooker into the wall socket?

As a general rule an electric cooker will require its own radial circuit. This means it requires a direct connection to the consumer unit with its own fuse way there. Electric cookers use a vast amount of power so must not be connected to a normal household circuit.

Yeah thanks for quoting directly from the website I gave a link to.....:whistling:

Sorry, didnt make myself clear.

We have exisitng elec cooker hardwired into the wall socket.

I am fitting a new cooker which isnt here yet. Have moved the electic socket on the wall and rather than wire the new cooker straight into the socket, i want to leave a trailing wire from the socket, fit a junction box and when the new cooker comes, just connect it to the junction box.

All so I dont have to have the socket off the wall again really.

Sorry, didnt make myself clear.

We have exisitng elec cooker hardwired into the wall socket.

I am fitting a new cooker which isnt here yet. Have moved the electic socket on the wall and rather than wire the new cooker straight into the socket, i want to leave a trailing wire from the socket, fit a junction box and when the new cooker comes, just connect it to the junction box.

All so I dont have to have the socket off the wall again really.

We did the same thing recently and used the existing wiring on the recommendation of a sparky.

Always worth seeking the advice of a qualified electrician though mate

I wouldn't recommend it, with a 30 amp circuit you don't want any more connections/breaks than you have to, and I personally wouldn't feel comfortable with a junction box floating around behind my cooker - much better to have unbroken wire all the way to the wall plate.

Arghhh NOOOO! ..in a lot of cases junction boxes are now Illegal in any wiring installation, You must always go directly into a 30 amp cooker point with a cooker.

Some built in Fan ovens now can run off a standard 13 amp plug but even in those cases I would not recommend it.

Just to clarify, we did not use a junction box, we simply used the existing wiring that was used on the old cooker which goes directly in to to the wall.

I do all my cooking from my George Foreman grill as is clearly evident from my toned physique. And these ofcourse run quite happily from a 13amp wall socket and are easily installed by simply removing them from the box.

I take it that you are hiding it up your top in this pic!!!!

:D

n689425473_826075_6218.jpg

Back