• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Elvis Bwomono

Status
Not open for further replies.
All words that all players say when really they don't give a toss. At least players like Lennon & Kiernan didn't pretend. I think it hurts more re Elvis because he was trying to be 'one of our own' etc etc. People can say he was on low wages all they want, why would we be increasing wages when he's been involved in two relegations and ultimately failed at his job. Who in the world gets a pay rise when that happens? Ultimately he thought he was better than us and as of now, it doesn't seem that way to me. He's going nowhere other than non league between now and January and that's a real shame for a young player who was playing regular football. The saying 'the grass isn't always greener' couldn't be more appropriate here IMO.

Well, as a free agent, he could sign for anyone at anytime regardless of transfer windows etc. It’s how we brought in Holmes & Ranger last season don’t forget.

This is the interesting takeaway;

Elvis made it clear he wasn’t interested in staying with us, which he is entitled to do.

In the Echo, wasnt he saying how much he loves the club and will get us back up etc...? That doesnt sit very well with me at all.

I touched on this previously, but what do you expect him to say?

“This past three seasons have been a shambles, I can’t remember what a win feels like, let alone a clean sheet, I can’t be dealing with this **** anymore, I’m off”.

People read too much into players comments pre and post match. Players are given media training, some have companies that look after their social media feeds and so on. It’s the same in the top flight as it is in the National League. You could pick any player, at any club, anywhere in the football league and look at their interviews/social media posts after a defeat “We were unlucky, fans were brilliant, we go again next week” and after a victory “buzzing for the three points, fans were brilliant, onto next week”. It’s garbage.

Elvis was asked a question straight away after having been relegated. He said something along the lines of “hoping to be here” etc. Then when he signed for a new club can say how much he loves his time at Roots Hall, wishes us well etc. He doesn’t look like the bad guy as much as he’ll have signed for a side higher up the pyramid and most would have wished him well.

He could have done a Defoe and handed in a transfer request in his kit straight after the full time whistle when West Ham got relegated. Again, he is the villain for that, but at least you’d know where you stand with him. I know Elvis situation is different but just an example.

The only way it comes back to look bad on him is in this situation.

He wouldn’t have said I don’t want to be here anymore, change of scenery etc because what if we’d offered him a huge wage he wouldn’t have been able to turn down?

I touched on the situation with Elvis on the transfer thread, back on the 12th August, but I’ll give you a little bit of information on this.

Elvis’ contract was one of the lowest at the Club, having signed a long term deal when he because a pro with us. He did have a pay rise during that contract, however he was still on a lower wage.

Before the end of last season, PB and MM before him, both said to Elvis we’d like you to stay regardless of the division we are in. Elvis made it clear he wasn’t interested in staying with us, which he is entitled to do.

When it came to offering him a deal, we offered the bare minimum to ensure we got compensation should he move on, but he and his agent knew this wasn’t the final offer, and we expected to open negotiations. Once again, Elvis said he had no interest in opening negotiations.

Elvis fully expected to get a move and remain in the EFL, which he was entitled to do, so all communications their end stopped with the Club. As we all know, he then didn’t return to pre-season, as he was a free agent and didn’t have to, but RH was in the same position and did return.

Elvis hasn’t taken part in a pre-season with any club, however he is quite a naturally fit lad, and has and still is, undertaking his own fitness regime to be in the “best” shape possible when the phone rings.

However, the phone hasn’t rung since Orient signed a new right back.

Whether he returned to us, I doubt, he’d have to come back with his tail between his legs, and PB/RM would have him over a barrel in terms of the contract he’d get with us.

Ultimately, he hasn’t done anything “wrong” with the Club. He wasn’t under contract so didn’t have to return to pre-season, he didn’t have to open negotiations with us re a new deal, and he did inform the Club once or twice he had no intention of being here. Again, the Club haven’t done anything “wrong” during this time. Yes we can say about unpaid wages, should have been paid higher (that’s another debate) and so on, but ultimately we wanted to keep him, he didn’t want to stay.

Personally, I’ve never seen the fuss with Elvis. I think he is a very limited footballer (Same with most players that play for us), he got away without much criticism because he was “one of our own” and came through the youth team, and I think JD is a better full back.
Really good summary of the circumstances, and can I add, I believe hes still being paid as required and not being fined for not turning up (which would be a bit harsh given the contract circumstances).

Interesting point of view as personally I think he leaves a lot to be desired in terms of his attacking contribution. I don't doubt that he tries his best but I've not seen too much to suggest that he offers that much going forward. He's certainly improved since first breaking into the first team, there's no doubt about that, I just don't think he's as good as some make out.

I agree, I think he's better defensively than offensively. His crossing is weak and he's only registered 6 assists in 132 appearances, which is pretty poor for a full-back.

All words that all players say when really they don't give a toss. At least players like Lennon & Kiernan didn't pretend. I think it hurts more re Elvis because he was trying to be 'one of our own' etc etc. People can say he was on low wages all they want, why would we be increasing wages when he's been involved in two relegations and ultimately failed at his job. Who in the world gets a pay rise when that happens? Ultimately he thought he was better than us and as of now, it doesn't seem that way to me. He's going nowhere other than non league between now and January and that's a real shame for a young player who was playing regular football. The saying 'the grass isn't always greener' couldn't be more appropriate here IMO.
Personally think this is a pretty poor take. I've never understood why people get so emotional/borderline vitriolic when players leave. For them, it's a career with a short shelf-life and to expect any player (bar the few of them that grew up on the terraces of Roots Hall) to have the same level of emotional attachment to the club as we do is nonsense.

To put him in the same basket as Lennon and Kiernan is ludicrous as well - both of whom were far more expensive and contributed far less. Also, what on earth do you expect a young lad to say when put on the spot following the last game of the season regarding his future? And how was he trying to be "one of us"? By dancing on the dugout when we beat Sunderland to stay up? That moment clearly meant a lot to him, as it meant to me and all the rest of the supporters in the stands and watching on TV.

As per the excellent summary from @BoyWonder2, he's made the decision to try his luck elsewhere. Personally, I wish him all the best and hope it works out. From an SUFC perspective, we've lost a spirited but slightly limited player and have better options in hand.

Personally think this is a pretty poor take. I've never understood why people get so emotional/borderline vitriolic when players leave. For them, it's a career with a short shelf-life and to expect any player (bar the few of them that grew up on the terraces of Roots Hall) to have the same level of emotional attachment to the club as we do is nonsense.

To put him in the same basket as Lennon and Kiernan is ludicrous as well - both of whom were far more expensive and contributed far less. Also, what on earth do you expect a young lad to say when put on the spot following the last game of the season regarding his future? And how was he trying to be "one of us"? By dancing on the dugout when we beat Sunderland to stay up? That moment clearly meant a lot to him, as it meant to me and all the rest of the supporters in the stands and watching on TV.

As per the excellent summary from @BoyWonder2, he's made the decision to try his luck elsewhere. Personally, I wish him all the best and hope it works out. From an SUFC perspective, we've lost a spirited but slightly limited player and have better options in hand.
Im still salty that Derek Hall left.

He went from being a youngster breaking into the first team to being a regular starter. Another way to think of it is that he has effectively been given a couple of job promotions (including getting an award for player of the season) and no salary increase. How many other jobs reward promotions and awards with offering someone the exact same wage?

He went from being a youngster breaking into the first team to being a regular starter. Another way to think of it is that he has effectively been given a couple of job promotions (including getting an award for player of the season) and no salary increase. How many other jobs reward promotions and awards with offering someone the exact same wage?

He did have a salary increase whilst a professional and first team regular….

There's quite a few out there that will take advantage, I was once told by a manager that "the company doesn't see money as a motivator".

It motivated me to take my skills elsewhere pretty well so maybe he was mistaken

Seems like he has moved to IBV (managed by Hermann Hreiðarsson), in the Icelandic top division.

Footballer Elvis Bwomono has signed a contract with ÍBV and will play with the team in the Best League this summer. Elvis has been with his parent club Southend United FC and played there under the management of Hermann Hreiðarsson some time ago.

Elvis is a 23-year-old full-back who enjoys himself best on the right side of the field. He will strengthen the ÍBV team in the fight for the league and cup this season, but he will be allowed to play from tomorrow. He has two national games for the Uganda team but he was born in that country.

ÍBV expects a lot from Elvis, who has been training with the team for the last few weeks and can not wait to start playing.

No fee for an international transfer is there?

Footballer Elvis Bwomono has signed a contract with ÍBV and will play with the team in the Best League this summer. Elvis has been with his parent club Southend United FC and played there under the management of Hermann Hreiðarsson some time ago.

Elvis is a 23-year-old full-back who enjoys himself best on the right side of the field. He will strengthen the ÍBV team in the fight for the league and cup this season, but he will be allowed to play from tomorrow. He has two national games for the Uganda team but he was born in that country.

ÍBV expects a lot from Elvis, who has been training with the team for the last few weeks and can not wait to start playing.

No fee for an international transfer is there?

We receive nothing for this.

Mentioned in the Ralph thread I know but adding here that he's off to Iceland. Expect he'll only have a short stay there before coming back to England in the next couple of windows now the compo requirement is no longer relevant. I don't think the cleverest moves from him in terms of long term career development over the last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back