• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Elvis Bwomono

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was very much guesswork based on a rough league 1 salary and a 25% relegation clause…and prob doesn’t allow for another one at end of league 2 season..

But player wages for young players are always linked to increases on appearances. He had 100+ games!
Its now on shrimperzone and should be regarded as 100% factual until someone comes up with a higher salary then that becomes the new figure

He probably felt he’d earned the right to get the same treatment as Hutchinson and Kelman were afforded in being allowed to leave….
Is there a difference here in that there were clubs willing to pay a fee for Kelman and Hutch? If a club had been willing to pay a fee in the last year Elvis would've gone.

Although I think you're hinting that elvis was declined a move, for a fee, prior to that?

We held his registration.
We held his registration but he refused to play for us yet we continued to pay him even though he wasn’t under contract? I’m sorry but I don’t understand any of this. Can someone explain it to an idiot please? (The idiot being me)

If Elvis made it perfectly clear he was leaving at the end of the season and had no interest in staying, I don’t see a problem with Ron offering him a pound more on a contract. Especially if he was on the sort of money alluded to.

As for ‘demanding’ £500k, Ron could’ve demanded £5million. Simple fact is he was never going to get it. And surely the first rule of negotiation is to go in high and be negotiated down. I’m sure that’s what players do with their contracts too.

Orient obviously wanted him for nothing and didn’t want to pay a fee. Like others have said, if they or any other club were that interested they would’ve gone to tribunal and likely paid a maximum of £150k. But they didn’t, and that’s hardly Ron’s fault. In hindsight, it would’ve been better to let Orient have him for nothing with a 50% sell on clause, but that’s life.

The only blame I can see on Ron is if he made Elvis clear promises that were blatantly broken. But I just can’t see how any of those promises would’ve been to let Elvis go for free or for a bargain price. That’s not how Ron does business.

It’s a sad situation and everyone’s a loser. But I think the main issue here is no club wanted to pay money for Elvis. That’s not our fault.

We held his registration but he refused to play for us yet we continued to pay him even though he wasn’t under contract? I’m sorry but I don’t understand any of this. Can someone explain it to an idiot please? (The idiot being me)
Not sure of the exact rule or wording. But Tom Lawrence confirmed in one of the zoom meetings that we were continuing to pay his salary this season as that was what was required in order to maintain potential compensation. Don’t know why, it seemed a bit odd to me too ??‍♂️

It was very much guesswork based on a rough league 1 salary and a 25% relegation clause…and prob doesn’t allow for another one at end of league 2 season..

But player wages for young players are always linked to increases on appearances. He had 100+ games!
So, in other words absolute bull****.

Part of this was the fact that Elvis was on one of our lowest salaries having been drawn into a long contract whilst young.

One thing I have found in life is many of our favourite cliches are total nonsense...."Two sides to every story" often ends up with people choosing a side. This Elvis saga is proof that there is always at least 3 sides to a story.

Im sure many on here have had a costly divorce or break up and both side lose out mentally and financially. As well as losing a few precious years of your life......If both side could start again they often would. Players agents and owners all know the deal before they sign contracts.

If a player comes up through your academy you are rightly entitled to compensation. I believe in Elvis case it would be higher than £150,000. Thats based on based on number of years with the club and before you add on the 100 appearances. Then theres previous offers and goals etc.

Those rules don't change just because your relegated or fans think you are worth more or worth less. If like Brentford you have been sniffing round Dan Bentley for 2 years with illegal approaches then you might well make an offer above the guidelines. You know you are still getting a great deal and don't want some other club nipping in with a better offer.

If you want to sign a RB after a season of Covid, financial mess and lots of available players......Then £3-400,000 is not a good deal......Unless you believe he can become an established Championship player.

If you had said to me you can by shares in Dan based on £1.5m then I would have done no question. Shares in Elvis at £400,000 would not be for me. My point is the compensation rules need to be more flexible or with a compulsory sell on fee guaranteed

I still wish Elvis well and would be pleased if he proved me wrong. I don't think he was acting out of greed or being disrespectful.....As for Orient trying to take the p***. Well done Ron for jogging them on.

Part of this was the fact that Elvis was on one of our lowest salaries having been drawn into a long contract whilst young.
No not at all. For a young player Elvis’s wages would’ve been pretty healthy. All appearance based increases.

But were we paying him this season? I don’t understand as he was out of contract, why would we be paying him?
Was explained at the supporters meeting. To retain the possibility of compensation, the player continues to be paid.

Great trumpet blowing there Stan.

Whilst it’s impressive, you, more than most, should understand that every pathway is different every individual need isn’t the same and actually sticking to your own beliefs of what is right and wrong is very much a personal choice and requires huge individual mental strength to stand strong whilst everyone else is judging not knowing your story…..

Below is Nottingham Forest's Greatest ever team, voted by its supporters to celebrate 150 years of one of the oldest clubs in the country. The vote took place 25 years after I kicked a ball in anger. Followed by a celebration of what has been regularly voted as the best quality game in the 30 year history of the Premier League, then banners in the Holte End and Trent End. All still hung long after I finished playing. Finally, I'm one of only 1200 men in 160 years to represent England. Do the maths and odds of doing that. My legacy cap is the final picture.

I played for the most successful club in the country, was part of a strike partnerships that scored 102 goals in 2 seasons (voted the best in Europe by France Football, those of the Balon D'or) , the club I support, 6 top flight teams in total ( Premier League, La Liga) and represented my country when 8 English strikers were scoring 20+ goals a season. Was the main driver of a post Brian Clough ( try following him at Forest ), Forest team and club that were down and out in the Championship, feeling sorry for themselves and crestfallen ( sound familiar?) , 2 years later third in the Premier League, and I know who was the main "acheiver " in that group.

Missed out by one goal in an FA Cup Final to the best Manchester United team arguably in its history, helped Liverpool to a first post Heysel European Semi Final. Helped Villa to a first European Quarter Final since the 1982 European Cup. One of only 3 Villa players in history to score a European hat trick. 4 club record transfers which in the case of Liverpool, Forest and Villa all came with "we expect you to win the title " from supporter bases who'd watched Dalglish, Withe, Shilton and Co a decade previous.

Finished top 4 with 3 different clubs.

The only time I took time out of the game was 3 weeks to go into a psychiatric hospital due to diagnosed depression, something I'd had since childhood. By rights, according to the psychiatrist, I shouldn't have had a career at all.

At Anfield, The City Ground , Villa Park and Roots Hall, I'm celebrated on the walls and in the museums, so we're talking about "could have done margins " that most couldn't comprehend, nevermind execute.

At the same age (23) as Elvis, a talented player, goes off to Iceland, I was helping Southend United maintain a position in the highest league they've ever played in, against all odds, turning a £150k outlay into a near £4m profit in 6 months.

But hey, maybe I should have sat at home.

Stan.

No one is disputing what you achieved Stan. I was merely pointing out that for whatever reason some people's careers do not pan out as fans expect and that the reasons for this are not necessarily down to a lack of application.

Last edited:
Below is Nottingham Forest's Greatest ever team, voted by its supporters to celebrate 150 years of one of the oldest clubs in the country. The vote took place 25 years after I kicked a ball in anger. Followed by a celebration of what has been regularly voted as the best quality game in the 30 year history of the Premier League, then banners in the Holte End and Trent End. All still hung long after I finished playing. Finally, I'm one of only 1200 men in 160 years to represent England. Do the maths and odds of doing that. My legacy cap is the final picture.

I played for the most successful club in the country, was part of a strike partnerships that scored 102 goals in 2 seasons (voted the best in Europe by France Football, those of the Balon D'or) , the club I support, 6 top flight teams in total ( Premier League, La Liga) and represented my country when 8 English strikers were scoring 20+ goals a season. Was the main driver of a post Brian Clough ( try following him at Forest ), Forest team and club that were down and out in the Championship, feeling sorry for themselves and crestfallen ( sound familiar?) , 2 years later third in the Premier League, and I know who was the main "acheiver " in that group.

Missed out by one goal in an FA Cup Final to the best Manchester United team arguably in its history, helped Liverpool to a first post Heysel European Semi Final. Helped Villa to a first European Quarter Final since the 1982 European Cup. One of only 3 Villa players in history to score a European hat trick. 4 club record transfers which in the case of Liverpool, Forest and Villa all came with "we expect you to win the title " from supporter bases who'd watched Dalglish, Withe, Shilton and Co a decade previous.

Finished top 4 with 3 different clubs.

The only time I took time out of the game was 3 weeks to go into a psychiatric hospital due to diagnosed depression, something I'd had since childhood. By rights, according to the psychiatrist, I shouldn't have had a career at all.

At Anfield, The City Ground , Villa Park and Roots Hall, I'm celebrated on the walls and in the museums, so we're talking about "could have done margins " that most couldn't comprehend, nevermind execute.

At the same age (23) as Elvis, a talented player, goes off to Iceland, I was helping Southend United maintain a position in the highest league they've ever played in, against all odds, turning a £150k outlay into a near £4m profit in 6 months.

But hey, maybe I should have sat at home.

Stan.
As you alluded to, you took a step back in your career by signing for Southend from Palace at ~23 years old. Isn’t this exactly what you are critical of Elvis for doing?

I hope he excels at his new club and rises to better things.

One last thing I will say, is that the vitriol expressed by some fans on Twitter is totally unacceptable and shameful. Can’t imagine this is doing a lot for his mental health. Note that Anton Ferdinand and Ben Coker were chipping in too, both have talked publicly about their own mental health struggles, but are quick to put the boot in on Elvis, when he probably needed support and loyalty from a couple of ex-team mates... again shameful.

And where does 80k come from @Strykr ?
Juat mentioned in this thread. Im sure its nothing like that in reality.

I hope someone did the maths at the club, ie someone willing to sign him in a year, vs his wages for a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: RHB

Yeah and that he was undoubtedly one of our lower salaries will have played into the decision to keep his registration. Had he been on £5k a week or a normal first team wage it’s likely a different story. That he was so poorly paid is why Ron was happy to gamble that he’d move to an English club and not go abroad because the potential gains outweighed a small outlay. Had his wages been more substantial that unbalances that equation.

Elvis was almost certainly ****ed off at being repeatedly mucked about: his wages being late; promises being broken about being offered a new contract when he became a first team regular, the toxic atmosphere. All the sort of stuff that made people on here repeatedly say it’ll be difficult to attract players as our reputation was so bad. He was made to play last year under a club option when he will have expected (and been told to expect) a new offer. That is when the damage will have been done. Unlike some he didn’t down tools during his contract but he had no interest in staying after he fulfilled his contractual obligations.

I don’t think that reflects upon the current regime and hope we treat players better going forward. The next few days will be a test of that. I hope we are fair and up front. One to look out for will be Jon Benton - someone on here was suggesting Cambridge are sniffing around. Will we offer him his current deal +£1 or will we offer a multi year deal and a pay rise? Will we be up front with Lewis Gard or will we wait to see the outcome for Benton and whether we might earn a fee there? There probably isn’t room for all of Gard, Benton, Wood and Coker.

Juat mentioned in this thread. Im sure its nothing like that in reality.

I hope someone did the maths at the club, ie someone willing to sign him in a year, vs his wages for a year.
I'd say it was about half that.

Imagine a year out of the game, when you've probably got 10-15 as an outfielder in your senior career.
He's sat out a minimum 10% of his profession, and for what? To move to Iceland?
To a team that last won their Championship in 1998, with an average 1,600 gate, and plays at the attached
Elvis has left the building, and his senses...
Looking at the ground alone 1,600 sounds like a great turn out! Because it looks like they'd get about 50.

Well it wasnt ron who rejected a new contract with us was it? Thats elvis fault he made the decision to not sign and play and now hes on the scrap heap
He’s 23. Don’t you remember Andre Blackman getting another shot at league 1 football when he was 28?

I’m gonna stick my neck out and say Elvis will play in the EFL again….possibly before Southend do….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back