• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Elvis Bwomono

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are they not part of a negotiation for when a player moves club? Are they not a fee that will be paid at some point?

Did you know that not all transfer fees are paid in advance?
Oh yeah trust me I’m well aware of that mate ?
Often a payment plan is agreed. Would you say that those fees that form part of the transfer fee but aren't paid up front don't constitute part of the fee?
These are the transfer terms not the transfer fee. There’s no guarantee of any money changing hands ever! As has been found with Hutchinson.

Could it be the criteria used to calculate the fee were not fit for purpose in Elvis' case? My understanding is that the number first team appearances made by the player plays a big part in setting the fee. With the greatest respect to Elvis during the period in question had we had a half decent team it is quite possible he may not have even played half as many games as he did.
Is it possible the figure calculated was set quite unrealistically high because of his 116 games? Perhaps someone who fully understands this procedure could enlighten us.
I see this is a possible scenario: Tribunal sets high fee, the Club dig in, and, although Orient are interested they feel the tribunal figure is an overvaluation. They try to negotiate with the Club without success. Like any other business if they feel there is comparable but cheaper option out there they will go the least expensive route.
I cannot help but think that had his valuation been realistic Orient or someone else would have picked him up.
As far as I'm aware there has been no fee set by a tribunal in this case as no English club actually offered a contract to Elvis. There was reported interest from Orient, but they eventually decided to approach another player in the same position.

A tribunal would determine the fee if Southend United did not agree on a compensation fee for a player under 24 years of age who has been offered a contract at least equivalent to the contract they had last been on. They would take into account first-team appearances, as you've set out (but these aren't set out so 50+ appearances equals £x and 100+ appearances equals £y and factors such as the availability of other players at the time and the club being under an embargo could be taken into account), but also time spent at the club, international appearances, previous offers (these have to be written offers, not just a figure Ron Martin plucked out of the sky).

Look I’m not going to convince everyone and I’m not prepared to keep repeating myself but….

Just consider this….I mean completely hypothetically of course….

Elvis is 20. He celebrates like a lunatic as his boyhood club survives league 1 relegation on last day of season. Assurances are given that the club wouldn’t be in this position again…..Elvis turns down offers from other clubs to stay loyal in an effort to see his club progress as he has been assured.

The following season he is just 21 as the club struggle again. He’s repeatedly not paid his wages. He’s then left at home with no contact from anyone at the club for 4 months as the season is curtailed and Southend are relegated.

He again turns down offers to leave and is persuaded by the club that the aim is to bounce straight back and that the club would not be on this position again. It’s quite possible, knowing he is out of contract at the end of the season that he is given assurances that if he stays and try’s to help the club back up that he will be allowed to leave at the end of the season. He’s a double player of the season and made a record 4 consecutive player of the month awards.

He’s now 22 and He sees three other highly rated young players leave before the end of August and no one comes in to replace them as the club is now under a transfer embargo due to non payment of Tax. He is again playing without being paid.

As the club tumble towards non league football, Elvis is an ever present and does all he can performance wise to play to the best of his ability knowing that he is out of contract and one silly tackle and injury will see the club toss him aside at the drop of a hat, as a financial liability. He competes and works his nuts off.

At the end of the season he has played for his 6th manager in 3 seasons, he is owed money from late payments from being furloughed and the club have been relegated into non league football.

Having made his position perfectly clear and had a good relationship with the chairman where he has given all he has for the cause, the chairman, under huge personal and professional financial pressure, activates a re-engagement of a contract by offering a £1 increase to ensure that Elvis, one of his last remaining assets in terms of young players who stayed loyal and fought for his cause for longer than he should’ve, can only leave for a fee or compensation which would be determined at a later date.

Other clubs who’d been made aware of his situation and potential free transfer now realise that they have been led down the garden path and a change of heart means that the chairman now not only wants a fee for the player but is demanding a hugely inflated and completely unrealistic one.

The player, the agent, the selling and the buying club all know this is bullsh!t.

The player is rightly annoyed that his loyalty is not only not being rewarded but is actually being completely punished and taken advantage of. He’s fuming and says he’ll never play for the club again.

The buying club are rightly put out that they are now not only being asked for a fee but are being asked a fee that is completely outside a reasonable market value and say b0llocks to you you can keep him we have other targets.

The selling club, who had no intention of offering this player a reasonable and fair contract reflecting both his ability, experience and loyalty sit their smugly thinking we have this guy over a barrel and can keep him on a wage that is £1 over the wage less 2 x 25% deductions that he signed for two years ago……

He’s now 23 and realised that if he signs that contract, the chairman will do exactly the same to him the following summer….

I mean of course that’s hypothetical but if that had happened then yeah poor old Southend……

My only surprise is that Elvis didn’t find himself a club outside the UK much much sooner.

Thanks for that - pretty much what I thought was the case but of course only a small number of people would be privy to the details. Personally I saw in Elvis a player who loved our club and gave his all in every game whilst many others around him didn't care - I wish him every success in his future career and hope that he is able to join a club that appreciates his loyalty and he can again enjoy his football.

This is no doubt going to be the most posted in ex shrimper thread of all time I feel. Mohsni had over 1000 replies.

Look I’m not going to convince everyone and I’m not prepared to keep repeating myself but….

Just consider this….I mean completely hypothetically of course….

Elvis is 20. He celebrates like a lunatic as his boyhood club survives league 1 relegation on last day of season. Assurances are given that the club wouldn’t be in this position again…..Elvis turns down offers from other clubs to stay loyal in an effort to see his club progress as he has been assured.

The following season he is just 21 as the club struggle again. He’s repeatedly not paid his wages. He’s then left at home with no contact from anyone at the club for 4 months as the season is curtailed and Southend are relegated.

He again turns down offers to leave and is persuaded by the club that the aim is to bounce straight back and that the club would not be on this position again. It’s quite possible, knowing he is out of contract at the end of the season that he is given assurances that if he stays and try’s to help the club back up that he will be allowed to leave at the end of the season. He’s a double player of the season and made a record 4 consecutive player of the month awards.

He’s now 22 and He sees three other highly rated young players leave before the end of August and no one comes in to replace them as the club is now under a transfer embargo due to non payment of Tax. He is again playing without being paid.

As the club tumble towards non league football, Elvis is an ever present and does all he can performance wise to play to the best of his ability knowing that he is out of contract and one silly tackle and injury will see the club toss him aside at the drop of a hat, as a financial liability. He competes and works his nuts off.

At the end of the season he has played for his 6th manager in 3 seasons, he is owed money from late payments from being furloughed and the club have been relegated into non league football.

Having made his position perfectly clear and had a good relationship with the chairman where he has given all he has for the cause, the chairman, under huge personal and professional financial pressure, activates a re-engagement of a contract by offering a £1 increase to ensure that Elvis, one of his last remaining assets in terms of young players who stayed loyal and fought for his cause for longer than he should’ve, can only leave for a fee or compensation which would be determined at a later date.

Other clubs who’d been made aware of his situation and potential free transfer now realise that they have been led down the garden path and a change of heart means that the chairman now not only wants a fee for the player but is demanding a hugely inflated and completely unrealistic one.

The player, the agent, the selling and the buying club all know this is bullsh!t.

The player is rightly annoyed that his loyalty is not only not being rewarded but is actually being completely punished and taken advantage of. He’s fuming and says he’ll never play for the club again.

The buying club are rightly put out that they are now not only being asked for a fee but are being asked a fee that is completely outside a reasonable market value and say b0llocks to you you can keep him we have other targets.

The selling club, who had no intention of offering this player a reasonable and fair contract reflecting both his ability, experience and loyalty sit their smugly thinking we have this guy over a barrel and can keep him on a wage that is £1 over the wage less 2 x 25% deductions that he signed for two years ago……

He’s now 23 and realised that if he signs that contract, the chairman will do exactly the same to him the following summer….

I mean of course that’s hypothetical but if that had happened then yeah poor old Southend……

My only surprise is that Elvis didn’t find himself a club outside the UK much much sooner.
Thanks for that very interesting.
Common sense told me that it would be something like that. Your previous comments on “broken promises “ seem to have been ignored/ not believed my some.
I have no knowledge, so I asked myself the question, why would elvis have acted the way he has ? As you said , he clearly cared when playing and you could see genuine affection for the club and fans. The only obvious answer was “broken promises “- but I had no idea what they were, so your post was very enlightening.

I have said it several times it’s very normal on here , and in society in general to :
Make snap judgements without much information or knowledge
To refuse to budge when extra information becomes available

As you said, you will never get everyone to agree with you

This is no doubt going to be the most posted in ex shrimper thread of all time I feel. Mohsni had over 1000 replies.
I doubt anyone will ever get close to moshni’s number of posts.
Even if one of our players Goes on to do great things they will not create the buzz he did

So to summarise;
  • Player wanted to leave at the end of their contract
  • The club were “happy” for him to leave if they got some money
  • The only club interested wanted player for £0
  • Both player/agent and club decided to be stubborn over the matter once the only club pulled out
  • 19 pages on shrimperzone

Anything else to add?

Ba
So to summarise;
  • Both player/agent and club decided to be stubborn over the matter once the only club pulled out

Anything else to add?
Bart?

So to summarise;

Anything else to add?
Anything else to add?
Yes post 356,context is everything

There is a point to all the Elvis goings on, and I am sure it won't be missed by TL the CEO, it is business not strength of will, nor wish fulfillment that needs to be to the fore.
The situation has been badly handled by all sides, or so it appears, with no winners and only degrees of loss, for Elvis, his agent, his loving family, SUFC, the squad, the finances, the fans etc.

I really don't give a ****. He is now an ex player. I thank him for his contribution as a player and wish him well but **** me 19 pages of post. Really
I know, it's almost like people are now replying to make it into page 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back