• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Embargo?

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
How long have we actually been under one? It seems like about a year to me. The previous manager could not sign anybody and MM has no chance other than under 23's atm.

So is it a year?

I think it was December as that is when Sol was looking to bring in the 2 Macc lads but couldn’t.

I think it was before that,I remember him trying to bring them in but we were under one long before then. He was just hoping it was going to be lifted so he could sign those two.

I think it was before that,I remember him trying to bring them in but we were under one long before then. He was just hoping it was going to be lifted so he could sign those two.
Yep you’re right. When Sol was appointed he was promised 5 or 6 as we know, so his appointment was end of October so at least November then.

Yeah, I have a feeling it's from late October last year, so almost a full year.

Too ****ing long. Needs sorting now. If the order is dismissed this week then we have a chance of getting a few recruits in before the window shuts and staying up. If the case is adjourned again then I think it's curtains.

I don't follow closely the fortunes of other clubs, however are Bolton u der embargo, or were they?
Bury and Maccs I presume would have been?
Any others?

Surely there is some sort of penalty for starting a new season under the same embargo from last season?

We've been under loads of embargo's since 2009 I think. This has been the longest one. We were apparentley in talks with 5 players in January that we eventually couldn't sign due to not lifting this embargo. Ron went to the well, and the well was dry.
Sol Campbell had an impossible task. Here's what he said once, nothing seems to have changed, it's actually got worse.
“Yes, mistakes will come because of youth but we’re working hard and it’s promising for the future. We have to go with the same attitude and be a bit sharper if we can too.

“We have to be more alert in both boxes.”

However, Campbell was keen to point out just how tough it had been for Blues.

“We have so many young players, it’s almost like a youth team playing against grown men,” said Campbell.

“This situation is not normal and the fans have to realise that.

“We’re trying our hardest and we will win games but it’s hard out there.

“We don’t have that quality and experience out there but we have to get on with it.”

Not defending Sol, as he made huge mistakes how he treated and didn't speak to players. Just saying he got it spot on in that statement, and this group of young players aren't yet good enough, and too many are playing. Even if the embargo is lifted, there's not much money at the club to bring in players. We will be lucky to afford two. The club are struggling to afford basic stuff to keep the club working. The only chance is if Ron can get an advance off the developers.

Bolton are under an embargo. Think one or two others as well. The difference is that they are better at managing it.

Bolton are under an embargo. Think one or two others as well. The difference is that they are better at managing it.

Which is baffling that they can splash out on a signing like Eoin Doyle who turned down Swindon to go to Bolton!

Which is baffling that they can splash out on a signing like Eoin Doyle who turned down Swindon to go to Bolton!

They released all their players but one in the summer so they had loads of room and could basically start from scratch.

Also they did their business early to get round the salary cap

They released all their players but one in the summer so they had loads of room and could basically start from scratch.

Also they did their business early to get round the salary cap
And the current numbers in the squad is so unbalanced. Too many youths signed on as pros, and too late in bring MM in and allowing him to pick who he wanted to keep and who to let go.
In financial secure eras keeping so many youths would, rightly imo, be applauded in the hope that a few will develop strongly while the majority will be seen as not making the next stage cut. BUT that is not our club.
I just hope MM has a few rabbits to pull from the hat, pdq.

I really believe that MM is in an even bigger hole than Luggy was back in 2010.
At least he was given virtually a clean slate and with his contacts and knowledge could build a team around a solid core/spine of players.
Firstly he got a solid keeper protected by seasoned pros like Barker .He also knew that the midfield needed a leader/general/ballwinner type and enlisted Easton.
Unfortunately for Molesley the senior pros left now are not in anyway what you would build a team round .Mainly here by contract length or nobody would want them with their injury record ,not by being quality in the key areas.
Without those experienced leader type pros to nurture the youngsters we are going to struggle in this cr*p division.....what a comedown in such a short space.
The Embargo is crippling any managers chance of turning this round

I really believe that MM is in an even bigger hole than Luggy was back in 2010.
At least he was given virtually a clean slate and with his contacts and knowledge could build a team around a solid core/spine of players.
Firstly he got a solid keeper protected by seasoned pros like Barker .He also knew that the midfield needed a leader/general/ballwinner type and enlisted Easton.
Unfortunately for Molesley the senior pros left now are not in anyway what you would build a team round .Mainly here by contract length or nobody would want them with their injury record ,not by being quality in the key areas.
Without those experienced leader type pros to nurture the youngsters we are going to struggle in this cr*p division.....what a comedown in such a short space.
The Embargo is crippling any managers chance of turning this round

Barks wasn't signed right away, Peter Gilbert was our original LB, Barks came in on loan originally, but I take your point. They were HIS players, ones he knew and trusted.

Didn’t Barks first turn out for us at the Eastbourne Borough pre-season along with Bilel who scored from a header? So he was with us beginning of the season?

Barks wasn't signed right away, Peter Gilbert was our original LB, Barks came in on loan originally, but I take your point. They were HIS players, ones he knew and trusted.
The key also, as well as being loyal to Sturrock and willing to run through brick walls for him, was that they were tried and tested at this level of football. MM has contacts I’m sure, but whether the lads he gets in will be ready for league football, we will have to see.

Back