• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Embarrassing fake injuries

ace

First XI
Just seen the news, which showed an incident in yesterday's Spurs vs Man U game. One of the players threw himself to the ground clutching his face feigning injury. The result was that a goal was chalked of because of the foul using VAR. Irrespective of the foul, I wonder if the authorities will take this player to task for bringing the game into disrepute, as they did with Dieng? I wont hold my breath.

Just seen the news, which showed an incident in yesterday's Spurs vs Man U game. One of the players threw himself to the ground clutching his face feigning injury. The result was that a goal was chalked of because of the foul using VAR. Irrespective of the foul, I wonder if the authorities will take this player to task for bringing the game into disrepute, as they did with Dieng? I wont hold my breath.
Just about to post the same thing. That game was full of embarrassing theatricals rthat brought Premier League football into further disrepute but it will all be ignored for the sake of the gravy train. Meanwhile, the lower orders get treated differently

It'll be impossible to prove that Son feigned that. He could rightly claim that McTominey caught him in the eye and that caused him to go down.

I completely agree that it looks soft and theatrical, but it's dangerous to start getting into what's genuine and what's not, especially when Son was clearly caught by McTominey and I agreed with the decision that it was a foul. McTominey didn't need to swing his arm back like that to 'shrug him off', even if we see it all the time at every level of football.

Thought United played really well in the second half. It's great to see Cavani in the PL.

The point is, this is subjective. You could argue that there was no question Dieng was fouled. Whether he was injured in the way that he demonstrated, only he will know. As will Son. The difference being, in the PL these things are overlooked by the authorities, and not even looked into.

The point is, this is subjective. You could argue that there was no question Dieng was fouled. Whether he was injured in the way that he demonstrated, only he will know. As will Son. The difference being, in the PL these things are overlooked by the authorities, and not even looked into.
Difference with Dieng was that he was pushed in the chest but went down holding his face.

Son was caught in the face and went down holding his face.

I agree it's subjective, which is why I caution against retrospective action

Difference with Dieng was that he was pushed in the chest but went down holding his face.

Son was caught in the face and went down holding his face.

I agree it's subjective, which is why I caution against retrospective action
R we sure he was touched ?

R we sure he was touched ?
looks like it to me. I mean, this is the whole issue. You have to be absolutely convinced that Son has tried to con the ref in this situation to retrospectively punish him.

When I played about 10 years ago there seemed to be a habit of opposing players flicking the ears at corners or freekick situations. One cold days stung like hell. Caused a fair few retribution tackles.

Quite easily could have caught him on the eye, and who knows how sharp McTominays nails are.

Worst one I remember was a Brazilian (Rivaldo??) getting the ball kicked at him near the corner flag and he went down like someone had shot him

When I played about 10 years ago there seemed to be a habit of opposing players flicking the ears at corners or freekick situations. One cold days stung like hell. Caused a fair few retribution tackles.

Quite easily could have caught him on the eye, and who knows how sharp McTominays nails are.

Worst one I remember was a Brazilian (Rivaldo??) getting the ball kicked at him near the corner flag and he went down like someone had shot him

There was an even better one when another Brazilian went down like he'd been shot as he was hit by something that had been thrown from the crowd...it was a toilet roll.

(I've tried to find the video on the internet but have failed miserably.)

Man united players are the worse for this no18 should of been sent off for sure

As far as I am concerned, all PL are as bad as each other, and I'm not interested in any of them. What I am interested in, is why lower division players are singled out for special treatment, as with Dieng. But then money and status counts I guess.

All complete nonsense these days, found an old TV ad for the 2004 Euros which now seems to have become reality. It is for the Guardian but that's just unfortunate

Last edited:
That video was great.
But this acting has been going on for decades in Europe.
The Germans can do it very well,the great !! Klinsmann got away with it always.They even do it with the subs/trainers bench....when the games not going the way they hope.Watch(sometimes),when the foul or ref is near their bench how they all jump up together ,going towards the pitch-ref trying to put him under pressure.
Two that "spring" to mind,two of a few, 1-Gazza(WC90) or Man Utd v Bayern,think it against Neville.
My son who played football here(village team) from the age of about eight to sixteen was told-taught how to get fouls,put the ref under pressure.
Part of football...that old saying"cheats dont prosper"is nonsence....they do

I know I'm in the minority here and it might not 'go down' well, but personally I think Son was genuinely injured and had been caught quite nastily by McTominay.

I remember Jermain Defoe getting a booking against Ukraine in a World Cup/Euro qualifier for 'elbowing' a player behind him while shooting for goal, the difference being it was natural movement in order to shoot. That guy went down as well.

I've looked at the replay several times and to me McTominay deliberately slaps him at close range and the movement of his arm/hand didn't look consistent with him running with the ball. If he'd just used his arm statically to hold off Son it would be different but that's not the case.

It's difficult to tell for sure whether he poked his eye but it didn't look good to me. In real time it looks a bit soft but you can't really tell from that angle; however, if you look at the second replay, he is definitely caught.

One significant thing is that Son went straight down; it's not like he belatedly did that when Man Utd scored, and that itself was several seconds and three passes later.

Some of the criticism/allegations he received afterwards, especially from OGS, were pretty disgusting to be honest.

I know I'm in the minority here and it might not 'go down' well, but personally I think Son was genuinely injured and had been caught quite nastily by McTominay.

I remember Jermain Defoe getting a booking against Ukraine in a World Cup/Euro qualifier for 'elbowing' a player behind him while shooting for goal, the difference being it was natural movement in order to shoot. That guy went down as well.

I've looked at the replay several times and to me McTominay deliberately slaps him at close range and the movement of his arm/hand didn't look consistent with him running with the ball. If he'd just used his arm statically to hold off Son it would be different but that's not the case.

It's difficult to tell for sure whether he poked his eye but it didn't look good to me. In real time it looks a bit soft but you can't really tell from that angle; however, if you look at the second replay, he is definitely caught.

One significant thing is that Son went straight down; it's not like he belatedly did that when Man Utd scored, and that itself was several seconds and three passes later.

Some of the criticism/allegations he received afterwards, especially from OGS, were pretty disgusting to be honest.

U have to pretend u’ve been shot to get the foul ,and the icing on the cake u get the player sent off

You simply can't of played football if that's your view.
He's feeling where the player is, if you've watched that 1000 times i don't see how you can say he has deliberately slapped him he isn't even looking at the player meaning he doesn't know where he is hence the hand comes out to feel certainly not deliberately slapping him.

You simply can't of played football if that's your view.
He's feeling where the player is, if you've watched that 1000 times i don't see how you can say he has deliberately slapped him he isn't even looking at the player meaning he doesn't know where he is hence the hand comes out to feel certainly not deliberately slapping him.
I've played Saturday and Sunday football for many years, thank you, so I know all the tricks, whether keepers subtly kicking ankles at corners, random sly elbows or digs, or a full-back telling me he'd break both my legs if I nutmegged him again.

McTominay knows where Son is because he's just stolen the ball from him. If it was an elbow in the stomach it would be less obvious because in natural running mode you use your elbows (hence the reference to Defoe v Ukraine) but he flicks his hand out in an unnatural manner for no apparent reason in the context of running with the ball.

It looks pretty cynical to me but then hey, what do I know, I've apparently never played football before...

It looks like the contact is around the cheekbone, which is a sensitive area (same as anywhere around the face) so there may have been temporary shock and I don’t think it is abnormal to clutch your face and go down.

When I was about 13 I scored with a diving header but was caught by a boot in a similar area to Son. I was about to get up and celebrate until I noticed there was blood dripping so I went down holding my face. It was an instinctive reaction.

Only Son will know if he was cheating but when you are unexpectedly caught in the face it’s not unusual to panic because it’s an area that doesn’t get struck very often.

Back