• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Embarrassing fake injuries

I've played Saturday and Sunday football for many years, thank you, so I know all the tricks, whether keepers subtly kicking ankles at corners, random sly elbows or digs, or a full-back telling me he'd break both my legs if I nutmegged him again.

McTominay knows where Son is because he's just stolen the ball from him. If it was an elbow in the stomach it would be less obvious because in natural running mode you use your elbows (hence the reference to Defoe v Ukraine) but he flicks his hand out in an unnatural manner for no apparent reason in the context of running with the ball.

It looks pretty cynical to me but then hey, what do I know, I've apparently never played football before...
Yeah completely agree VAR reviewed it at it was a foul by McTominey. I don't think that really is up for debate. Also pushing someone with your hand is a foul. Lots of them aren't given, but you can't complain when it is.

The discussion is around Son's reaction, and I agree that it is feasible that McTominey caught him with a nail in the eye and clearly that would be painful. Because you can't really rule that out (as unlikely as it might be) you can't turn around and retrospectively punish Son for his reaction.

He was caught in the face and went down holding his face. It does seem theatrical but that isn't good enough for retrospective punishment, you need it to be crystal clear that Son cheated to con the ref.

What seems to be overlooked is that Son tried to hand off McTominay first which led to the latter's reaction. Son has a history of over dramatisation, to put it kindly and just because he usualyy has a smile on his face doesn't make him 'a good sport'.

Bert Trautman broke his neck and played on for the whole game, back in the 50s. Now I'm definitely not advocating players continuing when hurt or injured. But the fact is there was no culture to con the ref as there is now in modern football, particularly in the PL. The debate on Son's actions would not be happening if that were not the case. The screaming, arm waving, and rolling about, ably assisted by their team mates protestations, puts the authorities in a very difficult position.

Bert Trautman broke his neck and played on for the whole game, back in the 50s. Now I'm definitely not advocating players continuing when hurt or injured. But the fact is there was no culture to con the ref as there is now in modern football, particularly in the PL. The debate on Son's actions would not be happening if that were not the case. The screaming, arm waving, and rolling about, ably assisted by their team mates protestations, puts the authorities in a very difficult position.

It was the 1956 FA Cup final, and happened with 15 minutes to go.

Have you seen the film The Keeper? It's worth a watch.

Another Tottenham player lucky not to have been decapitated after that horrific attack by the Everton defender.

Seriously though, when are the fa or premier league grow some bollocks and ban players who act like this? The EFL set the standard with Dieng.. though to my knowledge they haven’t banned anyone since.

Back