• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Embracing the national league

Maybe us and all those other ex-league clubs in the NL should form a breakaway league, we'll invite big non-league clubs from accross europe and call it the 'Alternative Euro Super Non-League'. everyone will want to join. Can't believe no one's thought of it before. We'll all be rich, rich I tells ya..

Away at Baden Baden on a Tuesday night in January anyone?

too painful ... if we are relegated I will be hating every single moment and hating every single crappy fixture and hating every single crappy non league club in very single crappy ground and I have never ever thought I would end up supporting a non league team...

TBH - I thought non league fans were train spotters in disguise - weird anoraks ...

As always football karma finds you out !

When Chesterfield came down they were handicapped by a clueless owner and one who didn't have the guts to take a risk. Ian Evatt was caretaker manager at the end of the season (I think he took charge for the last 4 matches), but ignored him when he applied for the job full time. As you know we (Barrow) took the risk and after 2 seasons he got us promoted back to the EFL. He then jumped ship to Bolton and there's a good chance he'll take them up this season too.
Chesterfield also messed up with who they retained when they went down - for example they released Sam Hird , Josh Kay and didn't tie down Brad Barry to a contract quick enough and all 3 were part of the 5 man defence that got us promoted. Hird has stopped playing now and is actually Rob Kelly's assistant manager.
you're right about the National League being one heck of a league to get out of - and it would have been worse next season as had the NLN continued moneybags AFC Fylde together with former EFL team York City would probably have been promoted.

And if you think that's bad then next season in the NLN there are;-
Chester City, Kidderminster, Boston United, York City, Hereford United, Darlington, Bradford Park Avenue, Darlington, Southport and Gateshead... all either former EFL teams or Phoenix clubs - had the league below finished Workington and heavily bankrolled South Shields would also have been there.
Not fair !
There’s no way Darlo should be allowed 2 teams in that Division.

too painful ... if we are relegated I will be hating every single moment and hating every single crappy fixture and hating every single crappy non league club in very single crappy ground and I have never ever thought I would end up supporting a non league team...

TBH - I thought non league fans were train spotters in disguise - weird anoraks ...

As always football karma finds you out !
Southend will be a crappy little fixture and we are now one of those crappy non league sides. We deserve to be where we are. We’ve won 12 out of 78 games in the last two seasons. League positions don’t lie

Southend will be a crappy little fixture and we are now one of those crappy non league sides. We deserve to be where we are. We’ve won 12 out of 78 games in the last two seasons. League positions don’t lie
I don't think anyone here would disagree with that sentiment. We have no right to be in any other league than the one in which we will find ourselves. There are some very decent sides in the NL with just as much, if not more history than us. But it doesn't mean it won't hurt and we can't resent every single crappy second of every crappy match. And if (and it's a huge if at this stage) we ever get out of it, we'll be back in League 2 where the football is still crap. ?

I don't think anyone here would disagree with that sentiment. We have no right to be in any other league than the one in which we will find ourselves. There are some very decent sides in the NL with just as much, if not more history than us. But it doesn't mean it won't hurt and we can't resent every single crappy second of every crappy match. And if (and it's a huge if at this stage) we ever get out of it, we'll be back in League 2 where the football is still crap. ?

Not for long potentially. History has shown that big clubs who do manage to get through the squeezed door of the National League tend not to hang around in League Two for too much longer.

It's been a horrendous, horrendous season and we have absolutely no right to complain about where we find ourselves. But what we do need to do is accept it and mobilise and put pressure on Ron to make sure we get ourselves correct and start looking up rather than down.

If we don't do that, then we shouldn't be under any illusions, we will struggle again. The National League is tough, full of tiny clubs spending big (Solihull paying £2k a week for Adam Rooney) and big clubs finding their feet again.

I am heartened by the unity of the last couple of days, we cannot afford to have a split fan base now.

19 players signed and not one a forward (unless you count Ranger, who I don't) doesn't suggest a manager with much nous to me.
I think it was pretty obvious he wanted a fluid system with one target man type striker and supporting forward players on the flanks, which is why he signed so many wide attacking players. Acquah was all he started with to fill the striker/targetman role, he got Halford who could be another option there as a free agent before the transfer window and he obviously wanted Akinde during the window who Ron couldn't deliver but left it running until the last minute so MMs only plan B was Ranger. 3 options for 1 position. Your post is slanted one way, mine the other, the reality is somewhere in the middle.

Just to cheer everyone up here is an article from the 70s embracing Non league football.To think that two of those clubs in those intervening years have played top flight football won the FA cup .Both have new grounds .One actually after those heights dropped a number of divisions lower than EFL and still find themselves 2 divisions higher than us now .We in those years have yo yo'd the lower divisions,crashed out of the cup competitions in the early rounds and have been waiting over 40 years for a new ground.....Screenshot_20210418-141743.png Well you can't accuse our fans of being glory hunters!!

Genuine question; when we go into the national league, will Ron have to pass a fit to run a club test?

Genuine question; when we go into the national league, will Ron have to pass a fit to run a club test?
I doubt the National league would press that issue given that they forced clubs to get loans despite it being against the leagues own rules. They even suspended relegation despite clubs not finishing the season.

By the sounds of it Ron would fit in very well

I doubt the National league would press that issue given that they forced clubs to get loans despite it being against the leagues own rules. They even suspended relegation despite clubs not finishing the season.

By the sounds of it Ron would fit in very well
he'd probably get a seat on the NL ruling board....

excessive drinking, some high quality hash, spunk all your money on dancng girls .... go to thailand until its all over ... easy ...

DO NOT EVER THINK ABOUT THE GOOD TIMES .. Wembley - Stamford Bridge .. Freddy Eastwood .. it will break you
All the good times will always be there that’s the only thing keeping me and everyone going

Yes although it isn't onerous, he will also have to confirm a declaration that he won't gamble on world football.

Back