• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Emmanuel Osadebe and Theo Vassell unable to be registered due to EFL Embargo?

you do have to question these 2 players then. Took action against their last club due to non payment to sit around waiting to be signed by another club that they cant sign for due to financial irregularities......sorry but isn't this out of the frying pan into the fire ?? If it was me i would be touting my trade with another club !

They can sign, they just can't yet be registered to play but yes totally out of the frying pan and into the fire.

I would imagine their agents have negotiated a clause whereby they can serve 7 days' notice if they haven't been registered.

I've got a theory here, I'm not sure we are under an embargo, not a formal EFL one anyway.

I actually think Ron is scaling things back as much as he can in preparation to walk away if planning permission isn't granted, perhaps he's even in talks to offload the club already.

I've got a theory here, I'm not sure we are under an embargo, not a formal EFL one anyway.

I actually think Ron is scaling things back as much as he can in preparation to walk away if planning permission isn't granted, perhaps he's even in talks to offload the club already.
I think that is wishful thinking - he isn't going anywhere fast!

The big problem we gave, alongside a number of others has been the systemic asset stripping carried out by owners over a long period of time. It has happened here, no two ways about this. Roots Hall was built and paid for by fans and given to the club to secure its future back in the 1950s. Club sold at a later date, suddenly ground sold to cover debts with lease back, other club land and assets as well, so a football club was always a licence to asset strip for the less scrupulous. That is what happened to Bury, probably macclesfield and no doubt why EFL are looking at us now.
EFL were caught with their pants down over Bury, because they must have known for years what goes on and did nothing to intervene. While uncle Ron is on the scene, EFL are unlikely to be sympathetic to our plight.

Football club ownership and governance is terrible, so there will be lots more clubs going to the wire/ under before anything is fixed. Bolton got away with it because they had new owners lined up in time. Bury didnt.

If there was a time for the supporters trust to step up, It 's now!

Wouldn't that reduce the clubs value by selling it's assets?

The big problem we gave, alongside a number of others has been the systemic asset stripping carried out by owners over a long period of time. It has happened here, no two ways about this. Roots Hall was built and paid for by fans and given to the club to secure its future back in the 1950s. Club sold at a later date, suddenly ground sold to cover debts with lease back, other club land and assets as well, so a football club was always a licence to asset strip for the less scrupulous. That is what happened to Bury, probably macclesfield and no doubt why EFL are looking at us now.
EFL were caught with their pants down over Bury, because they must have known for years what goes on and did nothing to intervene. While uncle Ron is on the scene, EFL are unlikely to be sympathetic to our plight.

Football club ownership and governance is terrible, so there will be lots more clubs going to the wire/ under before anything is fixed. Bolton got away with it because they had new owners lined up in time. Bury didnt.

If there was a time for the supporters trust to step up, It 's now!

A lot of this may be true but hardly applies to Ron. put simply he has put may millions into the club to keep it going and we have a shared win win objective of the club replacing and old dilapidated stadium with a shiny 22k new one debt free. It might not happen but at least Ron's goal is to leave the club in a better place than he found it.

A lot of this may be true but hardly applies to Ron. put simply he has put may millions into the club to keep it going and we have a shared win win objective of the club replacing and old dilapidated stadium with a shiny 22k new one debt free. It might not happen but at least Ron's goal is to leave the club in a better place than he found it.
A shiny new 3 sided stadium that we will only be a tenant in. Coventry were tenants at the Ricoh and that didn't solve all their problems.

A shiny new 3 sided stadium that we will only be a tenant in. Coventry were tenants at the Ricoh and that didn't solve all their problems.

Well that's the negative way of presenting it (and you may turn out to be correct) but that is not his intention which is a 4 sided stadium, all debts written off. I am happy to accept all cynicism around whether it will happen, but the positive intent can't be questioned or the fact that if it doesn't happen it a disaster for Ron as much as it is for us, He has promised the sunlit uplands- they may or may not exist but if they don't he and the club will catch a cold together..

I still don't get how the club is run so poorly that we lose £150k a month? Yes we had a few costs for extra players due to injuries etc., but we have had transfer income, and our turnover must be much higher than Wycombe, Accrington, Rochdale, Fleetwood, Tranmere, Burton, and Wimbledon, and similar to Doncaster, Oxford, Bristol Rovers, Shrewsbury etc.

You don't hear all those clubs owners saying they put £150k in every month to just survive?

There is something seriously rotten at our club and there has been for the past 20 years.

If we stay up next year and still have a club I will be happy
It’s so sad isn’t it.
Over the years our hopes and aspirations have moved from
Promotion
Playoffs
Mid table
Stay up
Get relegated but go down fighting
Watch a win at home ( achieved that one)
Hope that we don’t have a double demotion
Hops that the end isn’t nigh

I’m nit even going to mention the stadium

It’s so sad isn’t it.
Over the years our hopes and aspirations have moved from
Promotion
Playoffs
Mid table
Stay up
Get relegated but go down fighting
Watch a win at home ( achieved that one)
Hope that we don’t have a double demotion
Hops that the end isn’t nigh

I’m nit even going to mention the stadium

Never mind over the years, most of that has happened over the course of this season!
(ok, I don't think anyone ever thought the top one would happen)

Wouldn't that reduce the clubs value by selling it's assets?

There is no value in the club to gauge a price by.
If RM is unloading ,he will not want to get much in the way of an asking price, just get the debts owed to his companies cleared , however in the mean time he will not want to be adding to the debt, or forking out more than he has to. Hence cutting costs etc.

Seems like a valid concern to me, what with the council being hostile to the FF plans in their current form

Ah, that old chestnut.

For the record -

We applied years ago for planning permission for a stadium with four sides, and that deal fell apart (but permission was granted)

In order to try and get things moving, Ron had to try and broker a replacement deal but was having extreme trouble in doing so due to the financial crisis.

The biggest issue was finding someone/something to finance the cost of the 4th stand. There was no issue with the other three and work could start much more quickly if they were built first.

Therefore, we had to apply to amend the permission to a three sided ground from a four sided one, with a proviso that the fourth stand be built in an agreed time scale (I can't recall what this was... 5 years maybe?).

The council, in making their decision, had to therefore decide what sanction could be applied in the event that the fourth stand wasn't built within that timescale. What would they do? Order the stadium to be pulled down? Obviously not.

They agreed that there was no guarantee that could be given to force stand 4 to be built and no practical sanction to apply in case it wasn't either, so in making their decision they then considered whether they would give permission for the 3 sided ground if that was all it was ever going to be.

They decided that yes, they would.

We did not apply for a 3 sided stadium but the council granted permission on the basis that it could only ever be a 3 sided stadium.

Hope that's all clear.

Ah, that old chestnut.

For the record -

We applied years ago for planning permission for a stadium with four sides, and that deal fell apart (but permission was granted)

In order to try and get things moving, Ron had to try and broker a replacement deal but was having extreme trouble in doing so due to the financial crisis.

The biggest issue was finding someone/something to finance the cost of the 4th stand. There was no issue with the other three and work could start much more quickly if they were built first.

Therefore, we had to apply to amend the permission to a three sided ground from a four sided one, with a proviso that the fourth stand be built in an agreed time scale (I can't recall what this was... 5 years maybe?).

The council, in making their decision, had to therefore decide what sanction could be applied in the event that the fourth stand wasn't built within that timescale. What would they do? Order the stadium to be pulled down? Obviously not.

They agreed that there was no guarantee that could be given to force stand 4 to be built and no practical sanction to apply in case it wasn't either, so in making their decision they then considered whether they would give permission for the 3 sided ground if that was all it was ever going to be.

They decided that yes, they would.

We did not apply for a 3 sided stadium but the council granted permission on the basis that it could only ever be a 3 sided stadium.

Hope that's all clear.

Indeed it is- and to add the 4th side is in fact the hotel which is extremely important in terms of revenue from the project so was always going to be a priority to make happen also- as it now happens Hilton Hotels has been brought on board so a three sided stadium is even less likely than ever.

I still don't get how the club is run so poorly that we lose £150k a month? Yes we had a few costs for extra players due to injuries etc., but we have had transfer income, and our turnover must be much higher than Wycombe, Accrington, Rochdale, Fleetwood, Tranmere, Burton, and Wimbledon, and similar to Doncaster, Oxford, Bristol Rovers, Shrewsbury etc.

You don't hear all those clubs owners saying they put £150k in every month to just survive?

There is something seriously rotten at our club and there has been for the past 20 years.

Because we pay/paid/agreed too much in wages.

Players like Kightly, Cox, Kiernan, Anton Ferdinand etc weren't cheap and we ended up paying them all off.

We also have had one of the larger squads.

…..and then this is added to the debt the club is in to the tune of £18m alongside all the other running costs for the club and the ongoing new stadium saga. Why else would we be that much in debt? If it was a case of Uncle Ron putting in his money for the benefit of the club and its long term future then that money should already have been written off.

I know it's been said that it will be once the new ground has been built (2055?) but nowhere that I can see has this been provided as an agreed fact, it's just more words that can suddenly be forgotten about.

Very worrying times

Because we pay/paid/agreed too much in wages.

Players like Kightly, Cox, Kiernan, Anton Ferdinand etc weren't cheap and we ended up paying them all off.

We also have had one of the larger squads.

True, but when we had those players we had crowds around 7-8k and probably a turnover 4 times bigger than Rochdale, Wycombe, Accrington and Fleetwood.

I doubt very much our wage bill was 4 times bigger.

We cant and shouldn't just blame this on spending too much on wages. There must be something else going on here.

Back