• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Emmanuel Osadebe signs

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
It's like London buses....

Should add some much needed strength and athleticism to our midfield once the embargo is lifted.

Here's his first ever goal

Here's him scoring against Col Ewe

and against Orient (with bonus Vassell goal)

As I said on the Vassell thread, he may well have signed a contract, but the contract cannot be registered, i guess he can walk away if we cannot overcome the embargo.

Would assume though we are paying him in the hope this isnt an issue

As I said on the Vassell thread, he may well have signed a contract, but the contract cannot be registered, i guess he can walk away if we cannot overcome the embargo.

Would assume though we are paying him in the hope this isnt an issue

Exactly this.

Does this mean he's now a southend player and the fact we can't use him is irrelevant as his contract is with us ?

Does this mean he's now a southend player and the fact we can't use him is irrelevant as his contract is with us ?

I would think that the agent as had a clause inserted saying if the embargo isnt sorted by xx date then he can leave. but in theory you are correct.

I hope the embargo isnt an issue. We (I assume) are paying him so maybe he would be happy to stay till next season without playing

I would think that the agent as had a clause inserted saying if the embargo isnt sorted by xx date then he can leave. but in theory you are correct.

I hope the embargo isnt an issue. We (I assume) are paying him so maybe he would be happy to stay till next season without playing

I know we are his preferred club but I'm not sure he'd be happy not playing this season. If we don't get this embargo sorted reasonably soon I'd think we may not see these guys in a southend shirt

Ah that’s better. Hallelujah. We will now see these boys in blue shirts before too long, which is excellent news and if Ted signs too then we will have a chance of being competitive in our remaining league games and planning for a better season next time around.

I know this club does some stupid things, but I cannot imagine that we’ve got them to sign a contract and are therefore presumably paying them if we don’t expect the embargo to be shortly lifted. Chris alluded to next week in his article earlier didn’t he.

It's like London buses....

Should add some much needed strength and athleticism to our midfield once the embargo is lifted.

Here's his first ever goal

Here's him scoring against Col Ewe

and against Orient (with bonus Vassell goal)

Can I just ask the source @Yorkshire Blue ? It’s not on the OS for obvious reasons or the Echo?

They could only be registered with someone else up to 26th March (I believe they could still be registered for us after that date as we will have lodged registration papers prior to this date)

We'd have to presume that they are willing to wait another week or two if they were prepared to sign today. That would leave a very small window for them to find another club.

With three home games in a week (including decent away followings from Coventry and Gillingham), the sales of Hopper and Bishop, a reduced wage bill having sent back/paid off all the rubbish and I think cash flow should be in as good* a position as it has been for months. There should be a further influx of cash when early bird season ticket deals go on sale in the next couple of days.

*least bad

I’ll believe it when his on the team sheet:Thumbs up:

Signing is a different thing to being registered.

They could only be registered with someone else up to 26th March (I believe they could still be registered for us after that date as we will have lodged registration papers prior to this date)

We'd have to presume that they are willing to wait another week or two if they were prepared to sign today. That would leave a very small window for them to find another club.

With three home games in a week (including decent away followings from Coventry and Gillingham), the sales of Hopper and Bishop, a reduced wage bill having sent back/paid off all the rubbish and I think cash flow should be in as good* a position as it has been for months. There should be a further influx of cash when early bird season ticket deals go on sale in the next couple of days.

*least bad

That was what i was getting at they are registered, if I were their agent I would have a deadline in the contract saying if Embargo not lifted by xx/xx/xx then the lad can walk away from the deal and register / sign for someone else.

Obviously hoping that isnt the case, but would they be happy waiting till next season if it isnt sorted? as you say tight window but the agent, should if he is any good, have other options for them. If they are not happy waiting they cannot risk the deadline, so it will be interesting.

Influx of cash is good so hopefully we can clear the HMRC, who do seem to be over hard on us here (I know of at least 5 other clubs that are behind with their payments to them), but if we get that sorted then at least its a simple case of getting them over the line.

Does that mean we were still agreeing terms then, and the reason they hadn't signed before was not down to the embargo!!

*least bad

Signing is a different thing to being registered.
Exactly, and that’s why he can’t play, I just hope he does eventually

I’m guessing this is from Chris Philips on Twitter but it would be good to have that confirmed, if anyone has seen it and wouldn’t mind confirming please?

That was what i was getting at they are registered, if I were their agent I would have a deadline in the contract saying if Embargo not lifted by xx/xx/xx then the lad can walk away from the deal and register / sign for someone else.

Obviously hoping that isnt the case, but would they be happy waiting till next season if it isnt sorted? as you say tight window but the agent, should if he is any good, have other options for them. If they are not happy waiting they cannot risk the deadline, so it will be interesting.

Influx of cash is good so hopefully we can clear the HMRC, who do seem to be over hard on us here (I know of at least 5 other clubs that are behind with their payments to them), but if we get that sorted then at least its a simple case of getting them over the line.

I think you need to consider these signings in a wider context than just this season. They will be signing on as much for next season as this season. They knew the situation at Southend when they handed in their notices at Macclesfield and still wanted to come. They've had opportunities to walk away since then right up to when Vassell signed yesterday and whenever Osadebe signed (today?). If there were more appealing opportunities to them then they would have already signed elsewhere.

The embargo will get lifted, it's just a matter of when. In the mean time they will be getting a payrise and working with a manager they clearly rate and who has them in his long term plans. Why jeopardise that for what might be a matter of a week or two? Money is tight in L1 and L2. Budgets have been set for the rest of the year. Worst comes to the worst then they just get a really long pre-season here. Far more likely the embargo gets lifted in a week or two. I'm as confident that this will resolve itself as I was that we were under an embargo in the first place.

Hello from a lurking Gills fan.

Paddy could be an interesting signing for you. We signed him from a Spurs college course with 0 expectations when Justin Edinburgh was in charge. He impressed in preseason, but it was still a shock when he started the first game in central midfield.

He played superbly on the day and played a big part in a 4-0 win over Sheffield United. He celebrated the first so wildly that he got credited with a goal by some of the press, despite not being within 10ft of the ball when it went in.

He continued to play a big part in our excellent start to the season and was quickly a fan favourite. He appeared to love his big chance, playing with a big smile on his face. His skill level, pace and work rate were superb, and he was very physical despite his thin build.

He was still very raw at 18 and struggled maintaining his place in team shape\formation, but his energy levels made up for that.

Then something changed. His form and the teams nosedived. We went from top to missing out on the playoffs. The smile was gone and he upset a lot of our fans biting back (and seeking out) arguments on twitter etc.

His 2nd season was a bit of a non event, apart from getting into a scuffle with one of our youth team in a u21 match for not passing him the ball. JED was sacked and he left on a free. It was all very disappointing. He got another chance at Cambridge, but failed to make any impact in 2 seasons.

From highlights it looks like he has had a bit of a renaissance at Macclesfield this season. His smile is certainly back. Maybe he has grown up since he has left us. If he has he could be a good player for you.

Last edited:
Back