• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
After Wednesday nights game, me and my mates were discussing the contract situations of many players amidst all this uncertainty over PB. I said it would be likely that he would take a few with him and thought it was a shame, as if the squad could be held together for another year they could mature and develop even further, and where could we end up?

So - for clarity, here is the current contract situation for our squad (I know there is a sticky thread).

The players whose contracts are up at the end of this season are -

Bentley
P Smith
Barrett
Hurst
Payne
Weston
Worrall
Williams
Prosser
Bolger
Kyprianou
Bridge
Moussa

Of those, Barrett has already agreed a 1 year deal. Payne - according to PB - should sign soon. I expect we will offer terms to Smith, Weston, Worrall and Bridge. I'd be sad to see Jack Payne not sign and would like Weston and Worrall to stay but this season for whatever reason nether have set the world alight consistently. Jack Bridge from what I hear should develop nicely.

Prosser and Bolger are already gone and Bentley has said he will be off (at least we will get some dosh for him from a tribunal).

I think Hurst, Williams and Kyprianou are gone. It's anyone's guess re Moussa.

Additionally, the following players have contracts that are up but we have an option to extend for 1 year.

Thompson
Deegan
Hunt

Personally I don't think Hunt has stayed fit enough although whether we take the option will depend on the next two players, who we have signed on loan with a view to a permanent -

Barnett
Loza

If they stay, I think Hunt is gone. If neither sign, I think we may keep Hunt on.

So - who does that leave in contract?

Here is the list of players who will be here next year (unless someone buys them, of course) -

T Smith
White
Coker
O'Neill
Leonard
Timlin
Atkinson
Wordsworth
McLaughlin
Mooney.

If you add Barrett, Deegan and Thompson to that, it's not a bad nucleus. Certainly not as many problems as I was expecting.

I think we need to bust a gut to keep Payne, really make good offers to Worrall and Weston, try like mad to sign Barnett and Loza and then get in a decent keeper plus commanding central defender.

The issue here is what does Brown do? The professional thing would be to do what is good for SUFC, regardless of where he is next year.

However, it's really difficult to do that in his position - so, if it comes out that Ron is doing the contract talks, then I think it's fair to say PB is gone.

Personally, until the play off has been 100% resolved, then I don't expect much to happen, which may make it a bit late for many of these fringe players who want to know what is going on.

Just my two cents.

PS - I hope we sign a goalkeeper who's surname is Anthony and that we play the same formation as we did last night. That way, the first three names on the teamsheet will be -

Anthony
Worrall
Thompson

I thank you. Here all week...

Barrett and Kyprianou have signed extensions and Bolger has an extension option too, though I can't see it being used unless there's a change of manager.

With all that in mind, we could see quite a turnaround this summer.

Obviously Dan is a given that we'd all want to stay and hope he will but know that it's highly unlikely.

I would like Bolger, Thompson, Payne, Worrall, Bridge and Moussa (fitness permitting) to stay, sign Barnett and try to negotiate an extension for Hunt on reduced terms/more incentivised by appearances. I'm completely undecided on Deegan, and wouldn't be at all surprised to see Worrall join Bolger in leaving from that list.

Can't see Weston staying, there seems to have been a lot of interest in him this season and he hasn't really had that much game time even when he has been fit, so wouldn't be surprised if his agent was spurring on some of that interest. Also thought it was quite odd that Brown discussed his contract being up and clubs being interested live on Sky before the Sheffield United game, putting him in the shop window?

A new manager may see things differently, but it's a very complex situation at present.

I didn't realise that Hunt was only signed on an initial one year deal, I'd be amazed if he was kept on, despite a good start he's been permanently either injured or crap since. Mooney on the other hand, I'd snap the hands off anyone willing to sign him on a free, one of the most lazy, ineffectual players we've had in years. I get the feeling we'll be stuck with him though :'(.

try like mad to sign Barnett and Loza

Apart from the factual content, I agree with almost all of the opinions you've expressed but I can't for the life of me understand why we would try like mad to keep Loza. We could find literally tens of individuals with similar skills, but each of them better footballers, chasing a stuffed rabbit at Wimbledon Greyhound Stadium.

I hope we extend Deegan's contract - he's shown a big improvement the last few times I've seen him and has more than done a job.

Loza should be deleted from sufc history.....awful

He's had, what, one start and five brief sub appearances? Way too early to judge. Having said that I wasn't particularly impressed with him on Saturday (although the pitch did him no favours).

Besides you can't delete him from SUFC history otherwise I'd have that wonderful goal against Oxford erased from my memory and we can't have that.

Back