• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Somerset Ex-TTB

Members
Just thought I would cast my eye over the playing squad from this year and give my views.

Flahaven - An OK season from the wee one, if a little inconsistant. Has made a number of uncharataristic mistakes (Wolves away, Barnsley home, Hull away), however has also put in some blinding performances.
Has conceeded 70+ league goals, and been found out numerous times with his lack of command of his six yard box (hence the number of goals conceeded from Free Kicks and Corners).
Mark (Out of 10) 7.5 - Will he want to Stay if we go down - Yes. - Will anyone else want to buy him. - No

Hunt - A solid season from Mr Versatile, however it is obvious that right back is his only real position, yet he may not be good enough for a right back spot in the Championship. Is very good at defending, but offers very little going forward.
Mark - 6.5 - Stay - Yes - Offers - No

Francis - If Francis and Hunt could be morphed together then we would have a right back good enough for the Premiership. Too many defensive mistakes have spoilt the season for Francis, however he has looked good going forward. He is still only 22 though, and he knows the deficiecies in his defensive game, so could improve over the next couple of years.
Mark - 6 -Stay - Maybe - Offers - Maybe

Wilson - Not given much of a chance, however when he was, proved he was not good enough for this level. Solid pro, but should only be in League 2 or League 1 at a push.
Mark - 4.5 - Stay - No - Offers - No

Hammell - Probably Tilly's best signing of the close season in my opinion. Hammell is solid at the back, and offers some attacking threat going forward, including good set piece delivery. Does have a tendancy to get caught out of position at times, but is good enough for the Championship. Will he stay coming from the SPL and with his ambitions to play for Scotland?
Mark - 7.5 - Stay - Maybe - Offers - Yes

Clarke - Probably been the pick of the back four in the last few months, after taking an age to settle. 100% committed player that looks calm on the ball, yet is still prone to the odd rickett (no pun intended). Although Clarke has improved, he is still part of very poor defence, but is probably Tilly's only other succesful summer signing.
Mark - 7.5 - Stay - maybe - Offers - Maybe

Barrett - An injury plagued season for the Southend boy. Also a slow start left many wondering if he could cope with Championship football. However his commitment and effort can't be faulted and he has adjusted to life at this level being part of the solid defence in Jan-Feb time. His injury came at probably the wrong time for him and the team.
Mark - 7 - Stay - yes - Offers - Maybe

Sodje - Not the player he was before his broken leg. Has looked decidely dodgy many times, however up until 36 seconds into the Colchester game had got away with air shots, miskicks, toblerone headers etc. Maybe his age and injury have caught up with him.
Mark - 6 - Stay - Yes - Offers no

Prior - Sadly for Spinner this has proved a season too far for his ageing body. I am sure that he would of been a big part of the defence this year, and would of shored it up on a number of occasions with set pieces. His lack of pace, may have been shown up at times though, but sadly I think we have seen the last of the Rochford born player in a Blues shirt
Mark - 5.5 - Stay No - Offers No

Gower - One of the plus points for this season has been the form of Gower. Again he was one of the players that had to prove he could make the step up, and 10 goals as well as a number of assists have proved that he can. Has had a couple of poorer spells, but in the main has been excellent.
Mark - 8.5 - Stay Maybe - Offers - Maybe

JCR - Another player that has proved he can play at this level, and is often an outlet for a struggling side with his ability to run with the ball and take pressure off other players. Has improved enourmously with his ability to get crosses over in the 2nd half of the season, however scoring in just 1 of 40 odd matches is not good enough for a wide midfielder. Has the ability to cut in and shoot, and should be much nearer Gower's goal scoring return.
Mark 8 - Stay Yes - Offers Yes

Maher - Probably my player of the season, and has proved that he can play at this level. Yes he has had the odd poor game where we have been bossed in midfield, but on the whole as always, when Maher plays well, the team plays well. Has also shown a desire and commitment to the cause with his tacking and chasing etc. His goals have also been a welcome bonus, and for me this has made him a very good central mid player this season.
Mark 9 - Stay Yes - Offers - yes

McCormack - The only other one of Tilson's signings that has made an impact. If Alan had signed in the summer, I am sure we would be comfortable in mid-table at the moment. Has an energy and commitment level that drags the rest of the team up, and has also shown the ability to score goals and would probably manage 7 or 8 in a full season. Needs to learn not to get booked, as would also manage 20 bookings in a full season.
Mark - 8.5 Stay Yes - Offers - Maybe

Guttridge - Waste of space.
Mark 1

Smith - Never the player he once was, wish him well at Notts County.
mark 1.5

Eastwood - Not a great season for our best player, but also not a bad one. Has been a little unlucky with hitting the woodwork and as Saturday showed, is still our most creative player. Started well with 5 or 6 league goals in the first 10-12 games and looked like he would hit the 20 mark again. Went AWOL for half a season after the Man Utd game, but is still able to create something out of nothing.
Mark 8 - Stay - No - Offers Yes

Bradbury - Lee is a very technically gifted player, but sadly has not got the pace to play up front anymore, and consequently has not scored enough goals for a second striker. Maybe could of been used out wide more often as in our League 1 winning side. Holds the play up, and brings others into the game very well, but this is not enough.
Mark 7 - Stay - Yes - Offers - No

Harrold - Price Harry has not been given a huge chance, and has changed many a game when coming on as a sub, but is clearly not a Championship player. Does not have the speed of thought and technique required at this level, and although gives 100% this is not enough. However he does get a slightly higher mark for the points he has helped win late in games as a sub.
Mark 6.5 - Stay Yes - Offers - No

Hooper - Shows promise, but the Championship clearly too big a step from the conference. May prove a better player in league 1 and being a year older. Stil has a lot of improving to do, but is only 19. One for the future.
Mark 5 - Stay - Maybe - Offers - Maybe

Lawson - After bursting onto the scene, has not improved and gone a little stale. Not really given a chance, but then also not really shown he deserved one when sent out on loan. Will probably end up at Billericay.
Mark - 3 - Stay Yes - Offers - no

Foran - Started off very well, with a promising debut at Stoke and first few games. Became an instant hero with his goal against Burnley, but has looked very poor and uninterested since. Maybe is taking time to settle in the South in the same fashion as Clarke. Jury is still out on Richie as whether he will be a success here at Roots hall.
Mark - 5.5 - Stay Yes - Offers - No

Painter - Again took time to settle, and put in some woeful performances, however has since proved when out on loan that he is capable. Whether that would be in Championship or in League 1 remains to be seen. Could of been given more of a chance after returning from injury.
Mark 5.5 - Stay Maybe - Offers - Maybe

Tilly & Brush
Very very very poor management from our hero's this season. Have blown a lot of money on poor poor signings that for one reason or another have not worked out. (Ricketts, Painter, Harrold, Francis), as replacement for players that may not have been any worse. Have also failed to make the most of the loan market later in the season compared to other clubs and consequently left us with a tiny squad with no options.
Have also baffled us with a number of team selections (Clarke and Hunt in midfield, no JCR against Colchester). Substitutions have sometimes worked (Norwich at home), but more often than not have been made too late.
Maybe they have been found out that they were not that great after all, and that they have just been living off the very lucky Eastwood signing that was 90% of the reason for our sucessive promotions.
Mark 5.5 - Stay Yes - Offers - No

I will post my ratings and views after I return either with a massive Grin on my face or balling my eyes out after the journey to Southampton!

so pretty much faultless season, how come with these ratings we didnt get promoted!! Hunt Versatile???? was a poor player ever since we signed him

in terms of going and staying I hope to god that at least 10 players are cleared out, otherwise me thinks another relegation season next year

so pretty much faultless season, how come with these ratings we didnt get promoted!!

In terms of the ratings its more of a gauge amongst the squad. If it was against the rest of the championship, you could reduce everyone's rating by 2.

This would give Gutts a -1 which is probably more accurate.

so pretty much faultless season, how come with these ratings we didnt get promoted!!

In terms of the ratings its more of a gauge amongst the squad. If it was against the rest of the championship, you could reduce everyone's rating by 2.

This would give Gutts a -1 which is probably more accurate.
Gutts is probably a reason why we went wrong, really missed him this season!

i don't think in modern professional football the amount of money Tilson and Tilly have "blown" is anything bigger than tiny -

i don't think in modern professional football the amount of money Tilson and Tilly have "blown" is anything bigger than tiny -

For a club our size its massive considering what we have spent in recent years.

For £750-£1m, we should have put together a much better side for Championship. I'm not talking about a team to challenge for the title obviously, but it should have gone a way to ensuring survival.

I just keep thinking that for a few quid more (and an extra year), we could have kept at least Bentley and Gray - not considered worthy of deals, but Harrold gets 3 years!! :thump::hilarious:

in terms of going and staying I hope to god that at least 10 players are cleared out, otherwise me thinks another relegation season next year

So, the players that were good enough to win League one are no longer good enough to play in it next year ?

Just thought I would cast my eye over the playing squad from this year and give my views.

Hammell - Probably Tilly's best signing of the close season in my opinion.

Clarke - Probably been the pick of the back four in the last few months,

McCormack - The only other one of Tilson's signings that has made an impact. If Alan had signed in the summer, I am sure we would be comfortable in mid-table at the moment.

Tilly & Brush
Very very very poor management from our hero's this season. Have blown a lot of money on poor poor signings that for one reason or another have not worked out. (Ricketts, Painter, Harrold, Francis),

I agree with most of what you say and most of your ratings Id agree with. However feel you are very harsh on Tilly.

You slate his signings after rating 3 of them ! Certainly Paynter and Harrold havent lived up to expectations but Ricketts was a gamble that just didnt pay off.

Id question Francis being a very poor signing as well, he is only young and will be a decent player.

This year has been a disappointment but we knew at the beginning of the season it was going to be hard.

Looking forward we have a squad that will pretty much still be here next season and other than a good striker makes up a decent League One side. Tilsons biggest challenge will be replacing Freddy.

I just keep thinking that for a few quid more (and an extra year), we could have kept at least Bentley and Gray - not considered worthy of deals, but Harrold gets 3 years!! :thump::hilarious:

Why bother ? Bentley might have been useful for a month or so, but McCormack was bought and Bentley would have been back in the stiffs.

Wayne Gray wasnt making the first team in 05/06 season andisnt setting the world alight in League one for Yeovil either, so I cant see any reason why letting him go was a bad thing.

Last edited:
I reckon your pretty close with that evaluation. Uncomfortable as it is to read.

Wayne Gray wasnt making the first team in 05/06 season andisnt setting the world alight in League one for Yeovil either, so I cant see any reason why letting him go was a bad thing.

I can see your point jam man. However, with the money wasted on potential replacements, all of whom appear to possess no more skill but significantly less pace. We have been left with a pretty un-threatening collection of 'strikers' sic. (eastwood excepted).At least with gray there was always the possibility of him out pacing a defence and fluking a goal of his ****/back/chin/shin.

I can see your point jam man. However, with the money wasted on potential replacements, all of whom appear to possess no more skill but significantly less pace. We have been left with a pretty un-threatening collection of 'strikers' sic. (eastwood excepted).At least with gray there was always the possibility of him out pacing a defence and fluking a goal of his ****/back/chin/shin.

The one thing I always liked about Wayne Gray is the bloke worked his tits off.:guns:

The one thing I always liked about Wayne Gray is the bloke worked his tits off.:guns:

Sorry, have we had two Wayne Grays ?!

The one I used to watch certainly didnt look like he was working that hard!

The only game I remember him really sloggin out was against Huddersfield when we had 10 men.

He did have pace, but as his control was so abysmal it rarely did us much use.

Ill always remember the Bristol City goal, but there was no many of those ****/back/chin/shin moments I dont miss him at all.

Agree totally though that whilst I think Gray leaving was the right thing I dont rate our pool of strikers either and it will be interesting to see who we could attract after going down.

Back