• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Was really looking forward to this summer's series against Sri Lanka but Sri Lanka have pretty much named a second string bowling attack. Murali has of course retired (as did Vaas a year or two back), but Malinga is being kept back for limited overs cricket, as is Angelo Mathews and there is no Kulsakera or Maharoof (who may both be more suited to limited overs cricket anyway). That doesn't leave much.

Am pretty excited to see how Welegedara fares - a left-armer who bowls at a sharpish pace and swings it, and I suppose Herath and Mendis isn't a bad spin attack (although I'd have thought green pitches for the Lankans would be the order of the day, so they wouldn't want to pick both) but Dilhara Fernando isn't really a bowler for a top tier test side and I don't know anything about Lakmal and Pradeep other than their first class figures are non-descript.

At least the peerless Kumar Sangakkara will be a worthy test for England's attack and it will be interesting to see how much Samraweera's test average plummets if the ball swings. But this series could have been so much more with a stronger Lankan side.

A shame indeed that they're not bringing their best side, but it's always good to see the Lankans on these shores. Their final tour game before the first Test is against Middlesex at Uxbridge, very much looking forward to taking in one or two days of that.

Remember their first Test here in 2006, when we had them completely on the rack but, following on, they put on a mammoth score to save the match? Flintoff bowled himself in to oblivion that Test, i believe it's often regarded as a defining game for him injury-wise.

A shame indeed that they're not bringing their best side, but it's always good to see the Lankans on these shores. Their final tour game before the first Test is against Middlesex at Uxbridge, very much looking forward to taking in one or two days of that.

Remember their first Test here in 2006, when we had them completely on the rack but, following on, they put on a mammoth score to save the match? Flintoff bowled himself in to oblivion that Test, i believe it's often regarded as a defining game for him injury-wise.

One of my University lecturers was (and is, occasionally) a cricket hack for a number of broadsheets and cricket websites and always mentioned that this test signalled the end of Flintoff... That, and his enormous drinking habit.

Myself and part time zoners stickyboy and SUFCEssex are going to the first day of the second test at Lords on June 3rd

I've never been to a test match before and i can't freaking wait

...but Malinga is being kept back for limited overs cricket, as is Angelo Mathews

*shakes head in incomprehension*

But why? We've just had the World Cup; there isn't any sort of limited overs series of any prestige happening for about a year - and even then it's only the T20 World Cup, hardly something that warrants being rested in May 2011.

I guess it's a bit of a damning indictment of the Sri Lankans' perception of the lack of importance of Test cricket, which I find hugely disappointing.

:(

Friday of a test match is a great atmosphere every body on a long weekend jazz bands up the MCC end, it's a top day out.

The first day of a Test Match at Lord's is a great day out, summer is here (we hope), you can wander round the ground and see some of the greats of the game chatting to their public. Breathe in the history of Lord's, IMO the best ground for any sport in the world.

The first day of a Test Match at Lord's is a great day out, summer is here (we hope), you can wander round the ground and see some of the greats of the game chatting to their public. Breathe in the history of Lord's, IMO the best ground for any sport in the world.

I can't wait I've got Friday tickets for Sri Lanka and India tests, as soon as the gates open the atmosphere is electric, have some breakfast and watch the teams go through there paces at the nursery end, wander up the pavilion end and listen to some early morning jazz, your right Lords is probably the best arena in this country for a sporting day out.

Just for clarity the Lords test starts on the Friday, hence the points about day one and long weekend are both valid

So the lions are taking on Sri Lanka at the moment, and in the battle for the remaining batting place, Bopara scored a scratchy 17, and Morgan is unbeaten overnight on 156. (interestingly Fatty Patel is also on an unbeaten ton).

All the noises has been that Ravi would get the last place due to his sacrifice in not playing IPL and the fact that he bowls. Indeed most journalists thought it a done deal. However if Ravi doesn't get runs in the second innings then it is going to make it a difficult selection, and heap more pressure on Ravi if he does get the nod.

It's hard to put Essex allegiances aside, but having seen his dismissal yesterday, heard him talk and watch the casualness of his batting, I'm not convinced he really is the best bet. I want him to do well and think if Morgan had failed and the selectors said you have the whole summer to prove yourself, then he would do ok, but if selected he is going to be under so much scrutiny and I'm not sure he is the type to cope with it. Also, with Trott, KP and Bell making up our middle order (and Prior) the selectors may like another left hander in there. Will be interesting decisions.

On the other batters, Good to see Patel delivering results, hopefully he buys into the team and personal ethos that Flower likes as he will give us good options. The other one to look out for is Taylor.......he is only 21, but averages almost 50 from as many first class games as Morgan. That is an exceptional record and his time will surely come soon. I didn't realise he can open, so hopefully he will be ready by the time Strauss hangs up his bat.

THe other remaining dilema for England is the bowling. Given Finn and Shazad are playing for the lions, and Bresnan is injured, I presume they have earmarked and attack of Anderson, Broad and Tremlett, with Swann. Good attack but hopefulyl the pitches have a bit of bounce and life in them.

Anyway, looking forward to the matches starting so I know summer is really here.

IMO Ravi was never nailed on to get the gig, the current England set up is all about continuity, and while Morgan has played IPL he was the one carrying the drinks around Oz this winter. Scoring 150+ will also have helped his cause.

On another note I'm pleased to see Onions back, and also the fact that Patel seems to have knuckled down to Flower's demands of fitness.

I think I'd go for Taylor, but I'd be happy with any of Taylor, Bopara or Morgan.

England need to think about what role they want the new man to play - are they looking for someone to dig in or do they want a counter-attacker? - and pick whoever they think is the best out of those three (and you could say Hildreth, but I think those three are ahead of him) and then stick with them until the end of next summer.

Bopara has played 10 tests and in that time has scored three hundreds and been dropped three times.

One of the most remarkable collapses i've ever seen from a test playing nation, 33-2 to 52-8 in ten overs .. it was only perreras little knock that took them beyond their lowest score ever

I'll be more than happy if they bat first on Friday and perform like they have done today

Back